Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Not so much. Take a poll on this forum asking if Symbian is a real smartphone OS.
Yepp, it's causing a lot of *facepalm*. This forum has only gone downhill with all the newbs/blind fanbois joining in lately. They really don't have a clue - the funny part is that they don't really want to know either.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandibela For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Who said?
In the screen capture he may be saying "linux is just so last season". And then they talk about appcampus being a cool place. The appcampus is all about WP-applications. A project to get more WP-applications to the WP-store so the MS ecosystem would grow. MS is investing millions to that program with Nokia. If you cannot win them, buy them.
No, the capture clearly says its Linux-based, with a hint at the end that it's not a phone.
Anyway who cares, we all still know very little..........

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
The Meltemi OS probably takes different elements of the platform MeeGo Nokia N9 - for example, touch interface, which is controlled by gestures. It is not excluded and technology compatibility Qt, which will bring the capabilities of these expensive devices to smartphones - most recently in the Qt code name appears on the Meltemi
source

another

Well, S40 with Swipe/Qt is real

Besides, it makes sense to use S40 on low end, they are already doing it. Using Linux on low end does not make so much sense, but it does make some sense. It can be used as a plan B.
That S40 is swipe but not Qt. I don't know for sure, but so far the strategy I heard is to make Meltemi scales both down and up (left and right as well...), not making S40 supports Qt.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I heard information from Nokia Harmattan and Meltemi employees from this year, but I won't mention names. But it confirms Linux. Not Maemo/MeeGo-based, though.
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like the API might be quite different....

Earlier I tried asking Quim if NOK can tell dev what Harmattan APIs will be in Meltemi, but didn't get an answer. Honestly, I wasn't expecting one since launch date is still some time away... hopefully they will be ready to make the API public in late summer.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Mandibela View Post
Yepp, it's causing a lot of *facepalm*. This forum has only gone downhill with all the newbs/blind fanbois joining in lately. They really don't have a clue - the funny part is that they don't really want to know either.
That change happened with N900, as being phone appealed to Brand fans that wanted the latest and greatest from Nokia. Before then people were treating the Maemo devices more like PDAs or pocket computers, appealing more to *nix nerds than joe on the street (no matter what the bundled videos gave the appearance off. Made it look like the Maemo devices was an attempt at a end run around US carrier's market control).

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
That S40 is swipe but not Qt. I don't know for sure, but so far the strategy I heard is to make Meltemi scales both down and up (left and right as well...), not making S40 supports Qt.
Maybe you are right. It sure woud be interesting to see a roadmap from Nokia.

But, as far as I can tell, Meltemi is S40 with Swipe/Qt on top. Everything of rumor with some substance points to this configuration. Can anyone point to some info that originates from Nokia saying otherwise?
Well, S40 with Swipe/Qt is real
Besides, it makes sense to use S40 on low end, they are already doing it. Using Linux on low end does not make so much sense, but it does make some sense. It can be used as a plan B.
It's beyond Qn that Meltemi's a real project, & has nothing to do w/S40.
I don't know how you could suddenly come to some other conclusion.
I'm not going to waste my time digging-up articles, sources etc.
But I'd recommend you follow mynokiablog more closely than what you have.
Or even try to recall the countless posts in many threads here.
I've even spoken to former a MeeGo team leader who's confirmed it's existence.

By latest best informed guesstimations.....
S40's to occupy the 1xx/2xx series, Meltemi 3xx->5xx & possibly higher, & WP possibly slightly lower than 6xx.
There's a chance they decide to drop it at some point, but for now it's real.
I doubt they'd use it exclusively for tablets, S40's too anaemic to compete with Android at some price points.
S40 is taking on-board more "Swipe-like" elements with Sonic Touch.
That doesn't suddenly mean that Meltemi no longer exists & S40 = Meltemi.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-05-21 at 11:58. Reason: typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Who said?
In the screen capture he may be saying "linux is just so last season". And then they talk about appcampus being a cool place. The appcampus is all about WP-applications. A project to get more WP-applications to the WP-store so the MS ecosystem would grow. MS is investing millions to that program with Nokia. If you cannot win them, buy them.
He said: "... a new game but linux based."

From the campus web:

What is the selection criteria?
A:
The specific criteria will be announced later, but on a high level we are looking for a unique, innovative, high impact application ideas, which utilize the Windows Phone features for differentiation. Other Nokia platforms like Series 40 may be included as well.

^Not sure why you're reviving this dead thread again......
Sotiris has been closely associated with anything meego/meltemi related since forever.
He was clearly hinting at something Meltemi-based that's not a phone.
But with the recent lay-offs, it's almost certain that such a project's now dead.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-06-18 at 05:50. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
deb & mitm, deb obsoleted, deb rox, dumbphones, linux, linuxmelting, meltemi, rpm sux