Closed Thread
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Here 30$ to help with the developing of the cover/cases

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
Estel
I think the zoom lens idea wouldn't work with the back camera slide. But you could make a different simpler tool path with just a screw hole for the camera and one for the tripod? I'll look for a common size fitting and price

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
I would try first with aluminium foil. Cover the backside of N900 fully with the foil and then see how much it reduces and affects to GPS-, WLAN-, BT-, FM-radio and GSM/UMTS-signals.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
@dr_frost_dk
Thanks a lot!

@King Ralphred
No worries, tripod mounting point (screw hole) as a must for big backcover variant (this one that holds bigger battery). As for the camera hole being threaded, I think I - finally, got the idea. Sounds quite reasonable, but need to test if it doesn't impact quality of photos took without attachments screwed (reflections due to screw thread, etc).

Could you point me to link for any "zoom objectives" with a screw mounting, of such small size, being widely adopted standard? Of course I don't mean those "magnetic" toys.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I would try first with aluminium foil. Cover the backside of N900 fully with the foil and then see how much it reduces and affects to GPS-, WLAN-, BT-, FM-radio and GSM/UMTS-signals.
It will affect it totally - but it's not relevant here, as we'll be using same tricks for antenna reception, as currently implemented in any aluminum device (N950, iSheeps, etc). If everything else fails, we will just re-use antennas from standard backcover, and put them into non-metal, black "sockets" integrated into body - in a way, that will make aluminum body a back reflector for antenna.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

"but need to test if it doesn't impact quality of photos took without attachments screwed (reflections due to screw thread, etc)."

I'm not sure this would matter as you would only be using this cover with the zoom lens on. You would probably have to disable the flash as this would just light up the inside of the cover.

A common size for a good lens seems to be M42 but I'm not sure if there is enough space to accommodate the hole needed. If I can't find a smaller standard for good lenses, there are a few iphone cases with screw in zoom lenses. Not ideal I know but probably cheaper.

Anyway, a separate back cover for a zoom lens would require a good bit if interest to make it worth your while I guess.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/sis.html?_nkw...+Screw+Fit+v+g

The Following User Says Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
Just checked and there's now way an M42 screw hole will fit. Should have looked before posting. But something like this could work, possibly would work with the n900 as it is.

Best left unsolved for the time being. I'll call into the camera shop in town and see if they have any ideas but I doubt they'll be anything half decent that will fit. It'll need to be 20mm to stand a chance of being directly over the camera.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/10X-Optical-Z...item2c650e9032

The Following User Says Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:

The Following User Says Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Just to note I would be interested in buying one of those .

The Following User Says Thank You to rgodinez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Long thread to catch up on is long. If I had been around when this was posted I would've definitely A. expressed interest and B. been among the initial posters suggesting a 'normal' sized variant.

Both of those still apply. I have a tendency to drop my N900s, and a metal body would make me feel a lot better about every drop it (they) take.

As an aside, if by some chance waterproof-ness was attainable by the equipment you have, I mean hard-core tens of meters deep water-proofness, I'd be willing to pay a thousand+ USD for that, temperature concerns be damned. But that's not a major priority for me or, I suspect, anyone else...

Curious if this is still going to happen? If it is, more donations from me [edit] for every reader other than estel, by 'more' donations I mean I've donated to Estel in the past in general, though not to this project specifically because at the time it wasn't announced[/edit] is certainly going to happen.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2012-06-21 at 03:26. Reason: Clarification on donate point if anyone cares

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I say we scrap Aluminum go straight to Titanium

Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel