Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Really is time to setup my own jabber, instacat, blog and email server again.

Sick and tired of Google, facebook and instagram anyway. ****_em_all

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-06-07 at 18:37.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by pali View Post
@shmerl: I do not see reason for people (like you) who do not using gmail jabber account - to create one. If gmail people in your jabber contact list really want to talk/chat with you, they will find some way... And if not - consider if they really want to talk... I really do not see any reason why we should be slaves of google's world...
Most contacts can't set up their own jabber server, nor find the service you are using. So while I would love to be able to follow your advice, I would just look like a d*** to friends/business associates.

People don't even get it when I tell them some times that I don't use $service because of lock-in. They look at me weirdly. For most people it's a given that for every network you can communicate only with that network, and google supporting XMPP didn't help that situation. For 99% of people gtalk users could only talk with gtalk users.

Now one could go down the road and explain the situation and say "imagine if you could only send email to @yourservice.com addresses, and you needed one of each service to communicate" but people wouldn't care. And in the end I don't blame them. They use technology to make their lives easier, it's unreasonable to expect them to research anything more than what phone they will buy, let alone find out how open are the standards $service uses. Even I before Google dropped XMPP federation didn't know what federation is or that Google supported it, just as most of the people don't know that Knorr/Maggi Stock Cubes augment the food's taste by being 90+% mono-sodium glutamate and use them daily when preparing "healthy", "homemade" food.

I don't know what's the solution to this problem, but I am pretty sure that "educating" the users is not it.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
So while I would love to be able to follow your advice, I would just look like a d*** to friends/business associates.

I don't know what's the solution to this problem, but I am pretty sure that "educating" the users is not it.
So are we giving up because we are afraid to be regarded as d***s? Seems to me as if Idiocracy was right after all. (Incidentally, a recent study also points in that direction.)

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Are you serious? Will you say to all your friends go set up a jabber server so that we can talk?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
So are we giving up because we are afraid to be regarded as d***s? Seems to me as if Idiocracy was right after all. (Incidentally, a recent study also points in that direction.)
Idiocracy was right, of course, but that doesn't mean we should give in. I've thought about this in the past a bit and I have largely the same opinion as qwazix.

People in general just don't care about technical details enough to make choices based on such concepts as freedom or open standards. If we could make a kitten die each time someone chooses a closed alternative against open alternative, there might be some more success. But even then, I think we might run out of kittens before converting everyone. As we can't have kittens as leverage, most people don't give a **** about these things.

I've settled on trying to do the "right thing" myself, without being fanatical about it, and hoping "educating" people by my own behaviour. That is, I try to use open protocols/systems when possible, and refusing to use closed protocols/systems when possible. If a friend asks me for a Facebook chat, MSN chat, etc. I tell them that I'm not in those services and will not use them. I tell them my Jabber/Gtalk chat account that he can use to contact me, and instructions how to set it up. And if he asks me why couldn't I just create Facbook/MSN/whatever account, I will tell him my reasons. He either understands my reasons or not, but if he really wants to chat with me it won't be a problem for him to use that 5 minutes to set it up. And if open standards are really better, I hope in the long run he will see it himself too.

And about not being fanatical about it, when it comes to work I do not have the luxury of choosing my communication channels. I try to avoid closed protocols even there if I can, but sometimes the work requires me to use them. And I have no problem with that, as long as ktitens are not getting killed because of it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Are you serious? Will you say to all your friends go set up a jabber server so that we can talk?
Not all have to setup theyr OWN server but I think the FOSS community should setup theyr own XMPP based server where all people can register an account.

Or, actually the big dists should do this and also cooperate between domains fedora.org/ubuntu.org/opensuse.org and so on.

For example if people has a fedora.org jabber account and they want to talk to some ubuntu guy it should be possible. XMPP itself support s2s communication. Btw. Jolla should do the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
We are in bullshi* networking era

Why to start up your jabber server? There are a *lot* of free jabber servers which are connected to world jabber network. And registration is totally easy - directly in IM client.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Not all have to setup theyr OWN server but I think the FOSS community should setup theyr own XMPP based server where all people can register an account.
You mean like like jabber.org or some of other from the dozens of public jabber/xmpp servers ?

Last edited by MartinK; 2013-05-19 at 12:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/16/43...e-or-locked-in

Some of you might find this interesting. Haven't read it myself though, just skimmed it.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:

Tags
google, hangouts, instant, messaging