webOS's "death" is the classiest way I've seen of killing any platform. Nokia should take lessons from HP on this (and on how to deal with clueless CEOs as well).

Originally Posted by Mize View Post
It does seem as though the best are coalescing around android given the abandonment of better OSes. Basically it's becoming iOS, Android and possibly WP8 and BB10 with BB10 being a longshot.
It may be Android, ios, BB10, Tizen, Bada, WP8 in that order. Bada, now outsells WP7.5 despite the lack of promotion by Samsung.

The Touchpad is a decent tablet, but webOS on the Pre3 is superior as it becomes a thumb-only swipe extravaganza...swipe to see app categories, swipe between apps, swipe to go 'back', swipe to delete e-mails, etc. It's one of the very few single handed phone OSes out there. Given some polish and better dev tools it could have been a contender. Fortunately MeeGo, BB10 and to a lesser extent Android have incorporated some of this stuff, but it's like when Apple bought NeXT...no amount of OSX will ever be NeXTSTEP.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mize For This Useful Post:
I certainly agree with you Mize, it really is a very nice tablet and in my opinion... One of the best. I got mine in the firesale which makes things a little more rosy for me and everyone that I have shown it to are all impressed with the UI and ease of use.

As for it running android? Well ICS is easily my preferred version so far with swipe UI incorporated now, unfortunately there are still many elements in the background which are still clunky to navigate through. For me Android ICS is like a having Bust made from the finest Marble and then mounting it on a plinth made from Lego.

Lets hope the Enyo team can bring something fresh to the 5r old menu systems.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
I do not shake my head and wonder. The OS has some nice points but for the most parts is uttermost toss and almost not worth the $250 i spend on it (for a TP).

And be it, just 10mins ago i tried to claim frequent flyer points on the Quantas website. The date dropdown fields didn't accept my selection and stayed at their default value. Such issues are pretty frequent... And this so-called "web" OS is one of the worst experiences for the web i had on mobile, after Android on the (pre-ICS) Galaxy Tab 10.1. So i took my (relatively) trusty N900 with its MicroB and it finished this relatively simple job.

Btw: my Touchpad takes over 3mins to boot fully. Go figure...

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-05-26 at 04:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I have noticed that it does not always load the page format correctly on many sites too. Those bugs I can live with, or like yourself (don) grab hold of the n900 or a device that can load the page.

What I do find annoying though is when the community website webOSnation posts their multiple choice surveys and the TP will not select any options on the page. The frustration comes from not only having the TP not display the page, but the web site designers choice for using a tool that they know cannot be displayed on the devices their members use. :/

However there something promising in the pipeline. There was some news of the webOS team creating a new browser engine in preparation of the open sourcing the OS later this year.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Like I said, webOS on the TouchPad is not it's best implementation. 3.0.5 just isn't finished IMHO. That said I've had similar browser problems on my iPad 2 and this site we're reading now is hella to navigate on my n9 but a breeze on my Pre3. The best part of webOS, as I said, is one-handed operations and things trivial like swipe to delete email without a confirmation prompt that save tons of press-and-hold time. Underneath it's also Linux so I run chrooted Ubuntu on my TPs. It runs rather nicely with the right add-ons and has all the IT tools one needs. Still not as polished as an iPad 2 though. But for a one-handed phone OS the Pre3 wins it still.

Originally Posted by Mize View Post
That said I've had similar browser problems on my iPad 2 and this site we're reading now is hella to navigate on my n9 but a breeze on my Pre3.
Well, that's the web for you :-(

But for a one-handed phone OS the Pre3 wins it still.
The Pre 3 has its faults too; it could use a bit^H^H^Hlot more RAM ("too many cards" and the subsequent necessary reboot is way too frequent for my taste) and an email client that can post without embarassing the sender. But it is a very nice handheld computer in many ways, and it's also a great cellular modem for tethering (wifi or BT PAN works out of the box, great battery life with a bit of tuning) to "real" computers. I would rate it as one of my best purchases.

The Following User Says Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Ima, what's this about the email client? I've never had issues. Totally agree on RAM though. Got a mugen 2800 mAH for travel on that one too.