Posts: 114 | Thanked: 409 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Germany
Hello Community,

I hope someone here can help me. I have searched much to get an answer but I did not find something.

I made an app, called wolEj (Wake On Lan), for Harmattan devices.

I published this app in the Nokia Store in two versions: One free version and a donate version. Both are completely the same app.

Now, when I install the free version of this app, I get an "Run"-button on the donate version, too.

"Okay", I thought. So I changed the version number of the donate version +1 compared to the free version, in order to be able to buy and update the app.
But this is not happen. I downloaded the free version again (v 0.0.1). The "Run"-button appears anyway on the donate version (0.1.1) and I am not able to buy this version.

Now my next attempt is to rename the package of the donate version. But I fear that this could lead to problems on installing the donate version just "over" the free version.

I don't know, what I should do, to ease the buying and installation of the donate version.

I have seen that some other developers (for example EmuMaster) are doing the same thing. I hope they can told me, what I have to do, to make this work.

Thanks.

Last edited by ejjoman; 2012-10-05 at 10:10. Reason: Typo

The Following User Says Thank You to ejjoman For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Maybe post on EmuMaster thread or PM elemental instead?

That would increase the chances of getting a quick reply...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 233 | Thanked: 491 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Sydney
In Store Publish, create a separate content item, uploading the new content file. Eg. wolEj (Wake On Lan) and wolEj (Wake On Lan) Free. So you will have 2 separate content items (ie. 2 different Store entries) and can update each individually. PM me if you need further explaining

Hit thanks if I have helped in some way, or you agree with me

Twitter
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Battery Widget
#OperationUnicorn
Harmoji - Emoji for Harmattan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
N9 [Black] - Sailfish OS (1.x.x.xx)
N9 [White] - PR 1.3 [Stock]
N950 - Sailfish OS
Z10 LE - 10.2.1.1055
Dev Alpha C - 10.2.1.1055

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MFaroTusino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 409 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Germany
@MFaroTusino
Thank you for your reply.

Sorry that I did not mention that. I already have two seperate content items for the two versions. One is "Wake On Lan" and the other one is "Wake On Lan - donate".

@thedead1440
Thank you, I will try that.

Last edited by ejjoman; 2012-10-05 at 10:46.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
do the packages have different names. I think the problem maybe that you have same names for packages themselves, but not sure. try to add to the second one _donate to package itself

I think the same problem is still here with the donate version of EmuMaster. I haven't tried but it is more than possible that "free version" must be uninstalled before the installation of "donate" version.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
It's definitely the package name. Notice that if you install an application from a deb then the completely different version of the same application in the store shows Run and Review. This will break the intended function of replacing the application but it's the only way.

A solution might be to add a conflict in the debian control file but this might lead in the application not being able to get installed at all instead of the free version removed.

EDIT: Reading debian package relationships suggests that a breaks together with a replaces clause should do the trick.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-10-05 at 22:08.

I have written about it here.

Using Qt pro file macros you can easily set two different packages with different package names , different installation paths and different desktop/context/etc files.