Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by caco3 View Post
How ever because I spent a lot of time on them in the last 10 months, I thought they still would be allowed.

Good software development doesn’t just fit into 3 months but is a process.
I do agree here pretty much personally. In case of those of us who have a family, creating software is quite slow process. An hour or two once in a while. It doesn't fit well into these 3 month "sprints".

Maybe something to consider for next years competition, dunno.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Well, actually I think it is a bit sad, because it means that 2 of my 3 submissions actually are not allowed in the competition because I did not do any work on them in the last 3 months.
How ever because I spent a lot of time on them in the last 10 months, I thought they still would be allowed.

Good software development doesn’t just fit into 3 months but is a process.
You're absolutely right about software development being a process, nobody will disagree with you there caco3. I feel sorry that 2 of your 3 submission will be removed, but I hope I can explain to you a little more about the competition because I think there may have been a misunderstanding.

Originally the competition was set up 3 years ago as i was fed up hearing people complaining there was no apps for the N900. I got sick of hearing it, so I decided to try and do something about it. So the spirit behind the competition was to encourage people to create some new applications and get started with developing for the Maemo platforms. Which is why we brought the rule in about apps released during the competition time frame. It's been that way now for each of the last 3 years. I'm very sorry this wasn't clear to you, but I hope you will understand the reasoning behind the rule a little more now

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
I do agree here pretty much personally. In case of those of us who have a family, creating software is quite slow process. An hour or two once in a while. It doesn't fit well into these 3 month "sprints".

Maybe something to consider for next years competition, dunno.
Certainly there is scope to move the competition into one which will take into account applications created throughout the year. At the start of every competition, when we're working things out, we're always fairly open to ideas I think. And if enough people push for something then we do try to accomodate it. So absolutely, please raise it at the start of the next coding competition and let's see what we can do. But obviously there's very little we can do about it 4 days before the close

If you think back to when we were discussing the eligibility of submissions and categories, that was really the time to bring this up. For example, we could probably have had a separate category for year round entries if someone wanted to discuss that and I would have backed that as a pretty good idea.

As another example, in previous years we kept the new applications and updates together in the same categories. Because of feedback this year, we have separated the updates into it's own single category. At the same time we also had feedback that only new applications within the time frame should be eligible. So it can be tricky to get the balance right that suits everyone, but we try to get something together that most people will be happy with.

Originally Posted by helex View Post
Jonquark, my feelings are with you. I missed the Beginners section at the first coding competition only by a single week. This will always happen, there must be at some point a line.
lol I still remember that, we try to be a friendly competition but yes sometimes it can be a bit mean But just think how that brutal experience helped turn you into the man you are today

Truthfully it always feels bad when you can't accommodate a developer or an application. We really want everyone to take part and share in the competition as much as possible. But as helex says, sometimes there's a line. And sometimes that line is fuzzy, we'll do our best to find ways to accept most things, but dates are hard to work around.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-05 at 20:20.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Thank you for your clarifications.
I absolutely have no problems with it.
Thank you in any way for investing so much time into this competition.
Please remove my app BatteryGraph from the competition.
As for my other 2 apps; CacheMe for sure got a major update in the last 3 months.
And I also just checked, the 3th app, MiniBible, also got a not so minor update in mid of July, so it should still fit into the updated category

I will update the wiki
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
Thank you for your clarifications.
I absolutely have no problems with it.
Thank you in any way for investing so much time into this competition.
Please remove my app BatteryGraph from the competition.
As for my other 2 apps; CacheMe for sure got a major update in the last 3 months.
And I also just checked, the 3th app, MiniBible, also got a not so minor update in mid of July, so it should still fit into the updated category

I will update the wiki
Great - I'm pleased CacheMe and MiniBible are still in, and thank you for taking the bad news about BatteryGraph so graciously

@ all - this reminds me, it's really everyone's community spirit and good nature that keeps this competition on the tracks and I promise you all it's greatly appreciated by the organisers We all know even the worst lawyer can find a million problems with the rules, and we're always battling last minute problems like voting changes, etc etc. But it's really because of you guys and your generosity of spirit, support and a bit of forgiveness too that we get this thing across the finish line every year. So if I had enough prizes I'd give you all one

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Kajaani, Finland
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Hey jukra, BioPower sounds pretty interesting Well, I don't see any reason why it can't take part assuming that it's not Babyphone with a name change or something like that You are expected to have done a certain amount of work on your application. But one of the advantages of open source software is that you can build upon libraries and code already out there to develop new and wonderful things. If you're happy enough to outline and be judged on the work you've completed I don't see why it can't be added as a new application.
Ok, thank you very much! That all is really what I was thinking, too. So I have now completed my entry into the competition by email. Please find the announce thread here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86608 and the BioPower web site here: http://biopower.garage.maemo.org/

Thanks for organizing this great competition! At least I have had much fun while implementing, testing and publishing my very first open source release including setting up the web site, too!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jukra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jukra View Post
Ok, thank you very much! That all is really what I was thinking, too. So I have now completed my entry into the competition by email. Please find the announce thread here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86608 and the BioPower web site here: http://biopower.garage.maemo.org/

Thanks for organizing this great competition! At least I have had much fun while implementing, testing and publishing my very first open source release including setting up the web site, too!
Thanks jukra, yep I can confirm I've already received it - will update the wiki in a second

Speaking of unique and interesting applications, I notice swinkels is reading the thread.. i wonder how that nyan cat game is coming along!

btw I must take a moment to thank thedead1440 - looking through some of the application announce threads tonight I notice he's been using his own time to help remind people to submit their applications. I've counted 3 so far, but I suspect there's more so big thanks, that's really helpful and appreciated

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-05 at 21:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
You're absolutely right about software development being a process, nobody will disagree with you there caco3. I feel sorry that 2 of your 3 submission will be removed, but I hope I can explain to you a little more about the competition because I think there may have been a misunderstanding.

Originally the competition was set up 3 years ago as i was fed up hearing people complaining there was no apps for the N900. I got sick of hearing it, so I decided to try and do something about it. So the spirit behind the competition was to encourage people to create some new applications and get started with developing for the Maemo platforms. Which is why we brought the rule in about apps released during the competition time frame. It's been that way now for each of the last 3 years. I'm very sorry this wasn't clear to you, but I hope you will understand the reasoning behind the rule a little more now

Certainly there is scope to move the competition into one which will take into account applications created throughout the year. At the start of every competition, when we're working things out, we're always fairly open to ideas I think. And if enough people push for something then we do try to accomodate it. So absolutely, please raise it at the start of the next coding competition and let's see what we can do. But obviously there's very little we can do about it 4 days before the close

If you think back to when we were discussing the eligibility of submissions and categories, that was really the time to bring this up. For example, we could probably have had a separate category for year round entries if someone wanted to discuss that and I would have backed that as a pretty good idea.

As another example, in previous years we kept the new applications and updates together in the same categories. Because of feedback this year, we have separated the updates into it's own single category. At the same time we also had feedback that only new applications within the time frame should be eligible. So it can be tricky to get the balance right that suits everyone, but we try to get something together that most people will be happy with.

lol I still remember that, we try to be a friendly competition but yes sometimes it can be a bit mean But just think how that brutal experience helped turn you into the man you are today

Truthfully it always feels bad when you can't accommodate a developer or an application. We really want everyone to take part and share in the competition as much as possible. But as helex says, sometimes there's a line. And sometimes that line is fuzzy, we'll do our best to find ways to accept most things, but dates are hard to work around.
I want to hit that thanks button 10 times.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Speaking of unique and interesting applications, I notice swinkels is reading the thread.. i wonder how that nyan cat game is coming along!
My game is almost finished. I'm testing it now to add final touches before submission.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swinkels For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by draxcp6 View Post
I have another problem now.

I have downloaded: Putty, PuttyGen and PageAnt, then created private and public key, private set in putty (and pageant) and sent to garage account public key.

But I am still receiving message "Server refused our key".

Here is how my key looks like:
---- BEGIN SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----
Comment: "rsa-key-20120905"
AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABJQAAAIEAg9A2hf+qOTdPdJzR6DnNJJ 9Ojd+9SwirlgY5
d2L+DOhGeIxuBO7noAMxpxbsxid8ZxTXDGQ4mUbg9ESXLxdF1e z3TT8064Eohpl2
Uk5jy4HdO/GL7LuV+kfQMpxufL9njPlFxCYBPjda8xhffYnhEhopeo4HmTla I6fS
2jeWb8U=
---- END SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----
I have tried to remove new lines, comment, BEGIN-END and I don't know what else I tried, but no matter what, I still receive that message.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
If you copied and pasted the public key from PuTTYgen it should look like this:

ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABJQAAAIEAg9A2hf+qOTdPdJzR6DnNJJ 9Ojd+9SwirlgY5d2L+DOhGeIxuBO7noAMxpxbsxid8ZxTXDGQ4 mUbg9ESXLxdF1ez3TT8064Eohpl2Uk5jy4HdO/GL7LuV+kfQMpxufL9njPlFxCYBPjda8xhffYnhEhopeo4HmTla I6fS2jeWb8U= rsa-key-20120905

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ginggs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Just to make it sure, I didn't mean my comment as criticism of how the competition has been handled. My comment was just a nudge towards possible future competition rules, and I do know it's up to us to raise whatever perceived problems there are when the rules are discussed. So hopefully next year those of us who feel the time constraint a burden will remember to chime in with our opinion.

Whatever the rules, I'm excited that there's passion to organize these kinds of competitions in our community. So big thanks to you who have been using and are using their valuable time on making this happen!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas