It's really so sad... but even as a long time defender (since the N900) of the maemo/meego platforms, i am starting to lose faith in the future of these exceptional devices. After daily use of the N9 since it's release, I'm still waiting for a few business critical improvements, but nothing happened. I'm very well aware the development is also very much community driven and the work done by all of you is awesome (thanks so much!).
My keypoint is, I use my N9 primarly as a serious business device. Therefore I'm missing:
  • Support for WPA2 enterprise. This is the main drawback that will force me to change to some other phone platform. See all the numerous unsolved threads about this very critical issue.
  • Native support for VPN. Same thing, it's a must for business use nowadays. OpenVPN is not enough - it should support IPsec and/or SSL VPN (Cisco, or IPSec for strongSwan, ...).
  • Mail Outgoing Servers. I really need to be able to specify a separate mail outgoing server for every Mail account, the idea of a "main outgoing account" is simply not business compatible. Same for the address lists.
  • Separate export and import of contacts - without the need of going through the mail programs. This should be done with a simple click in the contact app.
  • Not really a business issue, but it's incredible not to have a network music player available. I don't even ask for uPNP or DLNA or Logitech/Squeeze or other proprietary clients, but just a normal music player which could open (and authenticate to) a remote network music folder (usually SMB/CIFS filesystem) and start playing. At home or abroad i want to be able to play any network stored music collection.
  • Last but not least, the GPS quality is quite poor, mostly due to never ending satellite sync tries (and yes, i also did the recommended hacks, but no improvements). And the resolution is rarely better than 50 meters.
This is no ranting... just terribly sad, that despite of the great product and some excellent third party software this wonderful device has not reached business level quality. The last free, high quality mobile phone, without being forced to use stupid jails and cloud storings (in fact data stealing), will slowly fade away - despite having had such a bright future (let's forget about Nokias strategy). We loved you, dear N9, and our thoughts will always be with you. Rest in peace, goodbye...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kuelma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
what are u switching to?

Regarding Mail Outgoing you've got me stumped. Maybe I don't understand our issue, but when I author a new email or forward, etc. I can choose from which account to send. Are you saying you can only send from one of your accounts?

Mail Outgoing servers - I don't know why you are not having it but for every POP3 account I can specify a mail incoming server and mail outgoing server.

GPS quality is quite good for me. Seldom takes more than a minute to get a fix and location is very accurate.

LOL! Lumiaman is your fan. But going to a Lumia is highly inadvisable as it doesn't even support VPN or static IP.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bangalore
Sad to see you go to another device though... Its a well written write up, farewell !

It has nothing to do with the device - it's about OS development. Nokia deliberately sabotaged quality polishing for Harmattan. Hopefully some other handset OS will eventually mature enough to substitute it. So far there is nothing around to fill that role

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Atlanta
I've used WPA2 Enterprise on three seperate networks with no problems. Can't make everyone and their multiple outbound email servers happy.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Louth / Ireland
Well, if You have no idea how to get rid of it I can take it, no prob. Willing to cover postage costs to Eiré. Think about it

The Following User Says Thank You to Garrett_PL For This Useful Post:
yeah.. more N9 for us...

& you are right coz "N9 is Love" but "Business comes First(in some cases)".. if you think its not well suited for your Business Needs then feel free to switch to something that fits your requirement..

GODbless

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
^ nobody is flaming him!!! in fact, some comments are surprised with the issues he is facing when others have it in working order. i know the Wazzap debacle has pissed alot of us but it doesnt mean that you go into an article and write such a thing based on one response.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post: