Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Isn't the name Maemo also Nokia property?
Maemo is a trademark of Nokia Corporation. The maemo.org domain is currently registered in Nokia's name, but it was handed over and the community is supposed to have control over it (or perhaps just the content?). You'll have to ask someone else to clarify, I never quite understood what that meant.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
I believe Kate and Quim are doing their best to find answers and ways forward. They can't be having an easy time with the changes taking place, so a bit of patience is in order. As I recall, after a major announcement like last Thursday, there is quite a bit of chaos inside the organisation during which it is really hard to get any hard decisions out of people.

Give them a few days to find some information and talk inside the organisation to figure out what is really happening. Having momentum is good, but having a direction is better.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to tekojo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
But what about Qt in general?
I mean, that framework, that HUGE development suite, it sinks way further down than just the mobile platforms.
Did I read the OP correct that even the Qt stuff as a whole will be orphaned.

It just can't be right. Qt is huge and is used and supported by a lot of companies worldwide.
It just can't be so that they are abandoning all that.
If so, then they have truly lost the minds and sold their sole to m$.

Do they need the help of a psy?

What they want to do is suicid.

The Following User Says Thank You to gerdich For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tekojo View Post
Give them a few days to find some information and talk inside the organisation to figure out what is really happening. Having momentum is good, but having a direction is better.
I can't even imagine the mess in an organization after such a drastic change. I understand that that takes time to sort out.
I'm just voicing my concerns as a user that is effected by these changes. Stating that I would very much appreciate an orderly transition for the customers and users of Maemo and MeeGo products.
This is also in the interest of Nokia, since I am the type of customer that spends a lot of money on high-end mobile phones, and I assume most maemo/meego users are.
We may be small group but alienating customers with a sudden shutdown of the services the devices depend on should be avoided.
Of course Nokia knows this, but voicing my concerns as a customer may provide an extra incentive for Nokia to act accordingly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
This is why I don't expect a sudden shut down of the services. As discussed here, the topic involves warranties, trademarks, contracts and other issues that won't get resolved over a weekend.

The best contribution the community can make is to define a desired scenario. Kate and me can work on a better transition if there is a consensus fully backed by the Council on a community vision and plan.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The best contribution the community can make is to define a desired scenario. Kate and me can work on a better transition if there is a consensus fully backed by the Council on a community vision and plan.
I'm not part of the council, but I think the most important thing is that Nokia promises it doesn't shutdown any public resource related to Maemo or MeeGo without clearly communicating this well in advance (enough time so that people can prepare an alternative, 1 month? 3 months? 6 months?, depends on what is shutdown).

Secondly: Find a solution for the parts that currently can't legally be redistributed, so people can keep using the devices and SDK as they do now after Nokia pulled out. (But the cheapest solution is probably keeping the problematic files hosted by Nokia for a much longer time.)

Planning the actual transition is very difficult if Nokia doesn't help on these two points.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
OK, assume at least a 6 month notice for maemo.org funding and the availability of the Nokia repositories for even longer. This is the basis Kate and me are working on. More details as soon as we have them.

Last edited by qgil; 2012-06-18 at 15:45.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Reggie why don't you lead the planning for the transition?
after all, you've led it for so long why not continue and involve others from the community so that there are as less disruptions as possible.
thanks.
I tried to find some information, who is currently on the CSSU council,
also to see if Reggie is there. But obviously I am too silly to find that information.

Reggie is ok, but he will need some help.

My suggestion would be that the council gathers the information about hosting costs, what has to be hosted (TMO, http://repository.maemo.org/ and so on).

Anybody here with connections to Intel?
Perhaps asking some of the big corps about some funding (except
MS, Google for the obvious reasons)?

What about the Linux Foundation?

P.S.: If I look at the PalmOS situation it shows a splitting into many different forums all over the internet.
We should avoid this as far as possible (I know that the forum part of TMO is only a small part).

Last edited by PMaff; 2012-06-18 at 15:55.

now or 8 months later, they will pull the plug..

why not be smart and relocate... and use this time to redirect users to new/permanent address

Closed Thread

Tags
citation needed