Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Nope, they won't - because its another point of failure / a risk introduced by a 3rd party (remember Diginotar)? They will use self-signed instead, which eliminates this risk.
Let's clarify 'self-signed' as 'Internal Root CA' or 'Enterprise Root CA', as all Root CA certificates are self-signed, but just using 'self-signed' can imply 'self-signed EAP-TLS certificate', which a company worried about security will not consider.

So, what was the supposed strategy for supporting 'Enterprise Root CA certificates'?

Unfortunately, *all* Nokia devices have suffered from this problem, since E61 or before. E72 is still a mission, because the error messages are useless (no 'untrusted certificate' error, no details from the cert presented, nothing, just 'authentication failed', you can only figure it out by noticing that you didn't enter your password yet ...).

After MacOS/iOS, the second easiest to set up IMHO was Maemo (N900), then Android, then desktop Linux (depending on the distro), then Windows 7, then Vista, then Symbian, finally Windows XP.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
...and webOS as the last one, because with the limited (and buggy) tools available even fetching, extracting & storing a certificate with openssl directly on-device* is totally cumbersome, sometimes even impossible. Use a desktop...
* http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/test-ss...l-certificate/

Yeah, one day we'll be in his shoes.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rotterdam, port to Europe !
I am not saying this is true for the OP of this thread... but I have longtime suspected that 'competition' is posting here to harm Nokia and N9 succes.

This OP with few post but long(ger)time member, seems to have some grasp of technical matters and so a few of his/her could be solved.

One of the comments asked what he/she will buy or use now after the N9 ? Let's see if that device solves the issues and does not lack great features of the N9...

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
does anyone realize that the OP isn't responding to the posts here...if he responds i'm sure more than half of his issues can be resolved (his searching skills might not be good...).

its only the community that is posting here...shows our community cares but people like the OP open threads and abandon them (no real intent to follow thro').

hey guys, how have you made openvpn work?
i cant find openvpn client in repos, only openvpn server.

btw gps is good for me, accuracy is 2-10m almost always.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Accra, GH
Originally Posted by mece View Post
What is "the Wazzap debacle" ?
Are you going to release your app tweed suit for the N9

Originally Posted by ynnad179 View Post
Disgusting how people are flaming him for discussing real downsides to the N9. A new low for the community after the Wazzap debacle.
Who flamed?

Originally Posted by eerde View Post
I am not saying this is true for the OP of this thread... but I have longtime suspected that 'competition' is posting here to harm Nokia and N9 succes.

This OP with few post but long(ger)time member, seems to have some grasp of technical matters and so a few of his/her could be solved.

One of the comments asked what he/she will buy or use now after the N9 ? Let's see if that device solves the issues and does not lack great features of the N9...

do you think Nokia(not us) considers N9 a Success... cuz if Nokia did they would have trusted MeeGo..

as for OP i think we cant force someone to like something.. and i consider like me most of us are having multiple devices including mighty N900 so if the task delays(i wont say fail) in one device we get it done with other.. maybe OP ws only dependent on one device.. just a thought

Just a counterpoint. I'm a business traveler with 5 email accounts who does some remote IT stuff from time to time. I've taken the N9 around the US and Asia and been able to accomplish whatever I needed to accomplish - mainly email, SMS and phone calls. I don't like that the email client is a bit slow but I have no issues sending from any of my accounts as noted by th OP. I don't need VPN for email so I haven't used it. When I do use VPN it's from my laptop connected to my N9 hotspot and this works just fine.

I regularly connect to 3 different WPA2 WLANs with no problems. Maybe it helps that we do Mac address filtering?

Then there's the media sharing wanting samba or cifs...not really getting how this is a business traveler issue...? Anyway, it's Linux, I'm sure it can't be that hard to set up samba, just haven't bothered becaus, well, I'm a business traveler.

Finally the GPS and navigation have been great. Yes, there is a slow initial sync, but I've downloaded most of the world and was navigating all over china without paying data so that works great for me. I certainly never noticed or suffered from a resolution issue.

Perhaps the OP could cite some specific instances of his issues instead of e tech spec crib sheet?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mize For This Useful Post: