I just read this article over at aas. IMO that is the truth. You can get any smartphone today and get the job done. They are all the same, both regarding functionality and usability.

All that is left now is consolitation.

The new revolution will be PC and tablets.

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I don't know. The whole article just feels wrong for me. It may be right for the typical non-smartphone-consumer... as long as it has Wifi and a touch display, this type of consumer will be happy.

But I know the things I normally check when I buy a new phone (N900/N9 were exceptions, I got them because of the desktop-like GNU/Linux stack). I never ever find a phone that offers all... I always have to buy the best compromise.

Things I do expect these days - in addition to the usual stuff like browsing, camera, navigation and Angry Birds - and that are not as easy to find:
  • SD-Card
  • FM receiver and transmitter
  • USB OTG
  • true multitasking
  • physical QWERTY keyboard
  • 3G video calls
  • SIP integrated into phone GUI
  • SyncML built in, no 3rd party stuff needed
  • fully functional without exposing my data to giants like Google or Facebook
  • file system accessible
  • all kinds of file transfer (Bluetooth, USB,...) supported
  • access to some kind of command shell for short scripts
  • easy programming language so I can run my own applications on the phone
  • Java
  • standard connectors for headphones, video out, charging etc
  • NFC (including payment)
  • DLNA

These are things that make a true smarttphone for me in 2012... and I don't find a model that offers all of them. I find some features here, some there,.... So from my point of view, the market is still in early development.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ alor star
that's right.. for me a revolution is about how we interact with our device..... at first we're using a dial for our home telephone, then buttons with dtmf, then mobile phone with keypad... now touch screens!!! and guess whats next? but i really like the idea of asus transformer.. can it be all in one device? smartphone + tablet + laptop using just one os..

Originally Posted by ir.miringila View Post
can it be all in one device? smartphone + tablet + laptop using just one os..
Yes, the Motorola Atrix came so very close to doing all of this.

lol

A Ford model T gets the job done too, but that doesnt stop new cars coming out every year.

Dumb article. Silly thesis.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Try watch movie on tv-out, and surft web & then change the channels & ping google & download a youtube video & give internet to my tablet via hotspot.. with that device overclocked upto 180%
ALL AT THE SAME TIME..

Thats N900
any other SMATRPHONE in Line

We are not really into 'smart-telephones' here, they are such trivial limited devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
So it's like Physics in the 1930s. We knew everything, all that was left was to tie up a few loose strings...then BLAM special relativity and quantum mechanics.

The number of times an article like this has been wrong is roughly equal to the number of times it has been written. One part of the definition of "disruptive innovation" is that the current market cannot yet see it. The only thing certain about the future of any technology is that the next "big thing" won't be predicted by the mainstream or, for that matter, leaders within that particular industry. Who changed smartphones the most in the last ten years? An mp3 player company.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mize For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Munich or Luxembourg
I think something like the concept of Ubuntu for Android will be the future.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I don't know. The whole article just feels wrong for me. It may be right for the typical non-smartphone-consumer... as long as it has Wifi and a touch display, this type of consumer will be happy.

But I know the things I normally check when I buy a new phone (N900/N9 were exceptions, I got them because of the desktop-like GNU/Linux stack). I never ever find a phone that offers all... I always have to buy the best compromise.

Things I do expect these days - in addition to the usual stuff like browsing, camera, navigation and Angry Birds - and that are not as easy to find:
  • SD-Card
  • FM receiver and transmitter
  • USB OTG
  • true multitasking
  • physical QWERTY keyboard
  • 3G video calls
  • SIP integrated into phone GUI
  • SyncML built in, no 3rd party stuff needed
  • fully functional without exposing my data to giants like Google or Facebook
  • file system accessible
  • all kinds of file transfer (Bluetooth, USB,...) supported
  • access to some kind of command shell for short scripts
  • easy programming language so I can run my own applications on the phone
  • Java
  • standard connectors for headphones, video out, charging etc
  • NFC (including payment)
  • DLNA

These are things that make a true smarttphone for me in 2012... and I don't find a model that offers all of them. I find some features here, some there,.... So from my point of view, the market is still in early development.
I agree, but that is what the article is about (also) You want a continuation of the N95 or N900, but that branch has died.