Well, I did it, I switched my N900 for my iPhone, it was fairly simple to export all the contacts from my N900 and import them into my iPhone 4S (surprisingly).

As a preface; I have owned the 1st generation iPhone for 4 days after returning it very displeased. I will now present my findings in bullet point format:

Psychical:
  • The lack of a psychical QWERTY keyboard is defiantly made up by Siri; incredibly useful voice recognition, also it has spell check thus I am almost as proficient as I am on the N900, and I am getting better everyday.

Lacking Features:
  • One of the the things I miss the most is the auto speakerphone when you take the headset away from your ear that was on the N900.
  • I don't like not having a basic file structure available to me.
  • I do not like that I cannot access "mass storage mode" and directly place ringtones and files of that nature onto my iPhone

On Multitasking:
  • Same basic concept as Maemo 5, only displayed very poorly, however Jailbreaking can fix that and make it a bit more proper.

On iOS 5.1.1
  • Very confusing to someone like me, when things are "dumbed down" it is harder to understand, it might be the opposite for people with less technical experience.

On 'Apps':
  • Very overwhelming; on the Maemo nearly all applications were quality applications. Even from devel and testing. The mindset behind the N900 was, "How many features can I put into this thing?" Whereas on the iPhone the mindset is, "Which one should I go with, what's the best?"
  • Makes life so much easier, I deleted every restaurant I dine at often out of my phone, I can now just use Siri and say, "Where can I get pizza?" and my favorite pizza places will pop up. Same concept with banking applications, movie applications, etc.

Lack of Flash:
  • I have not had a problem with it yet, the YouTube player surprisingly plays every video I watch perfectly, there's an App for that.

On Social Media Integration into iOS 5.1.1:
  • Surprisingly lacking, especially in comparison to Maemo 5

My finding so far is that the unjailbroken iPhone 4S can mostly do everything that Maemo 5 can (...mostly...), only much faster and much more efficiently. It can also do a whole lot that Maemo 5 can't. There is a lack of soul to the device though, almost devoid of all personalization - a 1984 feeling to it. I will be updating this thread in the coming weeks.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Oh card switcher looks the biz! I wonder how well it will work with zephyr loaded along side of it? It would be like webiOS

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
"One of the the things I miss the most is the auto speakerphone when you take the headset away from your ear that was on the N900".

I thought that was my ear touching the speaker button.

Got a 4s as an upgrade, got 420 euros 2 days after. Just can't get along with itunes. Had one before the n900 but as soon as I discovered drag and drop, I was hooked. The 4s is a seriously sexy bit of kit though but will it be as sexy as an aluminium clad n900 from estel?

What computer are you using to sync with?

Enjoy your new toy and am interested to know how you get on with it.

@xxxxts forgot to say congratz bro..
not because you switched to iPhone frm N900 but because your first few lines indicates you worked really hard to achieve it..

as i said earlier except one Os none other Os did anything bad to us so no hard feelings for iOs... Enjoy

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
On Multitasking:
  • Same basic concept as Maemo 5, only displayed very poorly, however Jailbreaking can fix that and make it a bit more proper.
iOS doesn't have multitasking : the iOS documentation for developers cite it as Fast App Switching. Only some Apple softwares can multitask and some 5 software categories. The other softwares can be in background between 5 s - 10 minutes maximum. Goodbye torrent downloaders, any long calculation, any long waiting chat, etc, in background.

The list of recent apps in iOS has nothing related to the N900's real multitasking view. Some recents apps shown in iOS are not running, some running apps in iOS are not shown as recent apps.

Android "multitasking" is better than in iOS because there is no 10 minutes restriction, but the software needs to use a service (so it is divided in a client + server).

Conclusion : Maemo 4, Maemo 5, MeeGo Harmattan multitasking are real ones, like in desktop Linux. Android, iOS and WP7 "multitasking" are just abuse of language.

Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
My finding so far is that the unjailbroken iPhone 4S can mostly do everything that Maemo 5 can (...mostly...), only much faster and much more efficiently. It can also do a whole lot that Maemo 5 can't.
It depends on your use to conclude that an iPhone 4S has more or less (useful) features (for you) than a Nokia N900.

A Nokia 7650 from 2002 can do a lot of things a iPhone 4S cannot : open Bluetooth sending/receiving, visible file system, real multitasking, etc. If these features are useful for me, I have the right to say that a Nokia 7650 is better than an iPhone 4S.

A Nokia N900 can have many boots (vanilla kernel, kernel power, NITDroid, MeeGo, etc), run chroot (Easy Debian, Maemo 5 SDK, Ubuntu, etc), run gcc/g++, Python, etc.

N900 is simply ortoghonal to iPhone.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-05-20 at 15:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...48#post1223348 My review as promised. Feel free to ask questions.