I logged in to linkedin and I saw this post by Sotiris. Don't know if he's referring to Meltemi:

The Following User Says Thank You to bigfatdeal For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
linux phones are so last season? Are they going to show us swipe on CE? Not interested.

except if there's a hidden reference to tablets

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by bigfatdeal View Post
I logged in to linkedin and I saw this post by Sotiris. Don't know if he's referring to Meltemi:
Its a WP-thing w/ MS.
http://www.appcampus.fi/

He said it's linux based

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
its over...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Maybe(yes this is a big maybe), since meltemi is linux.. but linux is smart, capable to multitask .. but their is some contract with MS that will prohibit Nokia from creating that(such) smartphones(more smart then WP)..

so meltemi might be a hidden weapon of NOKIA.. to sell it by default as restricted dumb OS.. but with hidden secrets that will unleash its capability after rooting...

just a big "MAYBE"

Last edited by immi.shk; 2012-05-18 at 16:21.

If Meltemi would be based on Linux, which I doubt now even more than before; then wouldn't it mean "dumbphone" is a phone where 3rd party software is not allowed? Or what defines the "smart phone" in Nokia-Microsoft contract where Nokia is forbidden to make smart phones in any other OS than WP? I have thought the definition and smart phone is just that you can install 3rd party software to it.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Nowadays it doenst exist a real difference. We could talk of high end devices and lower end devices.

A N9 is a smartphone now but will be a lower end phone in 2 years, and I think thats what meltemi will be.

Originally Posted by bigfatdeal View Post
He said it's linux based
Who said?
In the screen capture he may be saying "linux is just so last season". And then they talk about appcampus being a cool place. The appcampus is all about WP-applications. A project to get more WP-applications to the WP-store so the MS ecosystem would grow. MS is investing millions to that program with Nokia. If you cannot win them, buy them.

Originally Posted by LaLlamaQueLlama View Post
Nowadays it doenst exist a real difference. We could talk of high end devices and lower end devices.
What matters is the definition of "smart phone" and "dumb phone" in the Nokia+MS contract. It can be a different separation than lower vs high end devices.

Last edited by zimon; 2012-05-18 at 20:25.

Tags
deb & mitm, deb obsoleted, deb rox, dumbphones, linux, linuxmelting, meltemi, rpm sux