PDA

View Full Version : The Grand NITDroid Thread - NITDroid ICS Upgrade!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

ammyt
2010-12-02, 09:08
What is it?
Nitdroid is an android port for your N900, an android variant worked out by a team of geniuses (e-yes mainly) who strives to bring a fully functional port to the N900. In other words, if you want to have android running on your device, install Nitdroid.

How is this exactly done?
All installation procedures can be found in the wiki, along with how to run the power-kernel after installing it:

------> Nitdroid Port WIKI (http://wiki.maemo.org/NITDroid_Port#Links) <------

Latest fuss:

NITDroid ICS Upgrade! (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1140738&postcount=3529)
N12 Updated to 2.3.7
http://forum.nitdroid.com/index.php?topic=2977.0
NEW UPDATE! NITDroid-Installer 0.2.8-8 - Adds NITDroid Safe Removal Tool!
FINALLY: A working NITDroid autoinstaller rolls out.
BURNING FROM THE PRESS!! OFFICIAL UPDATED NITDROID INSTALLER IS NOW AVAILABLE!:
HOT FROM THE PRESS!! MY CODED NITDROID AUTOINSTALLER ROLLED OUT TODAY:
samipower added the list of Android games: http://wiki.nitdroid.com/index.php?title=Games

Nitdroid Installation by repartitioning the eMMC added, plus new kernel update added
Nitdroid 12 released with SMS sending/receiving!
Nitdroid 11 released for all users!
Nitdroid 11 Release Candidate 3 released
Nitdroid 11 a.k.a. N11 Release Candidate 2 rolled out for testers, as in: http://twitter.com/drunkdebugger.
Great! I am looking forward to testing it, gigantic credits to drunkdebugger e-yes, and all the Nitdroid team for this awesome alternative!

topet2k12001 added a wonderful high res. video on installing Nitdroid, hopefully gonna cure some users pain ;). Credits to him! INSTALLATION VIDEO ASSUMING YOU ALREADY HAVE THE NITDROID ARCHIVE AND KERNEL IN /home/user/MyDocs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm6spW5yadk

Itching Thumb task switcher - Gesture based task switcher showing live thumbnails of apps running, maemo-like? Testers here is the link: http://lifehacker.com/#!5670835/itching-thumb-is-a-gesture+based-task-manager-for-android-phones (http://lifehacker.com/#%215670835/itching-thumb-is-a-gesture+based-task-manager-for-android-phones)

We have SMS sending/receiving on, voice calls are still under development.
Lol ye.

ammyt
2010-12-02, 09:46
This is my first post and here it goes:
Thx man I'm willing to go for it, right now I'm downloading popov best luck to me!
Ya best luck to u. Havin any difficulties :mad: , queries :confused: just post below ;)

bigdarkmad
2010-12-02, 09:59
Can you do the same thing for Meego?
Is this method to Dual boot Maemo and NitDroid? Or Maemo will be deleted?
I tried serveral times to install NitDroid on SdCard, but I have no success. I have interest in your method, but I must be sure It will keep Maemo, because NitDroid and Meego are not fully functionally yet.
Is it possible to uninstall NitDroid, if I change my mind later?

ammyt
2010-12-02, 10:08
Can you do the same thing for Meego?
Is this method to Dual boot Maemo and NitDroid? Or Maemo will be deleted?
I tried serveral times to install NitDroid on SdCard, but I have no success. I have interest in your method, but I must be sure It will keep Maemo, because NitDroid and Meego are not fully functionally yet.
Is it possible to uninstall NitDroid, if I change my mind later?
MeeGo is incompatible with multiboot, unfortunately. You will always be able to shift between maemo and Nitdroid in this process as maemo is untouched.

XxJacobxX
2010-12-02, 10:17
Editing via leafpad nothing really to change except the EXT to INT. I can't believe it's that simple. I rebooted my N900 now, 2, omg white text black background i'm on the line that states something about the battery waiting................................android logo appearing......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................YEAH!!!!!!!!! the setup wizard touching the android and skipping that **** skipping google account too. WOOOOO thx ammyt you made my day. K gonna remove my sdcard.... OMG it is still on. Thanks ammyt thanks Nitdroid, gotta have days and days customizing my new toy! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

ammyt
2010-12-02, 10:19
Editing via leafpad nothing really to change except the EXT to INT. I can't believe it's that simple. I rebooted my N900 now, 2, omg white text black background i'm on the line that states something about the battery waiting................................android logo appearing......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................YEAH!!!!!!!!! the setup wizard touching the android and skipping that **** skipping google account too. WOOOOO thx ammyt you made my day. K gonna remove my sdcard.... OMG it is still on. Thanks ammyt thanks Nitdroid, gotta have days and days customizing my new toy! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
congrats yea happy for you :)

ammyt
2010-12-02, 10:52
I will soon upload the tutorial video both showing how silky smooth the installation is and how faster emmc nitdroid is than class 4-6-8 microsd nitdroid. Share your experience :).
EDIT: for extra clarity i added some screenshots above
For any queries post below :)

XxJacobxX
2010-12-02, 11:39
hey community,
I installed nitdroid now and everything is working great can somebody tell me whether it is necessary to create a google account?
and ammyt based on your tutorial I don't think anybody will have any confusions :p.

ammyt
2010-12-02, 11:41
hey community,
I installed nitdroid now and everything is working great can somebody tell me whether it is necessary to create a google account?
and ammyt based on your tutorial I don't think anybody will have any confusions :p.
Creating a google account is necessary to download apps from the market, and to get support from other google services :D

mele
2010-12-02, 12:07
How do you get off airplane mode on this one?

AgogData
2010-12-02, 12:08
ammyt, i dont have SD card at all in the phone..is your way do-able without it ? and can it install froyo 2.2 ?

plaban
2010-12-02, 12:28
Nice tutorial,I'll try.

plaban
2010-12-02, 12:35
I've nitdroid installed,can I start from step 7??

esthreel
2010-12-02, 12:52
Worked like a charm, and sure is more usable than SD. But i always get app not responding, ant stuff is laggy, plus no cam, gps, and calls? and even almost no market. So this still is more proof of concept than OS for n900.

muerte88
2010-12-02, 13:21
Worked like a charm! Easyest way to install android ever! THX u! Just a few problems, I can't get the network working and the wifi...it seems it can't get pass "obtaining IP adress " or something like this...anyway, any help is welcomed. THX again for this tutorial

ammyt
2010-12-02, 13:21
I've nitdroid installed,can I start from step 7??

yeah go for it

ammyt
2010-12-02, 13:22
How do you get off airplane mode on this one?

YEP! it is off by default but look at the post in the 3rd page :)

ammyt
2010-12-02, 13:23
ammyt, i dont have SD card at all in the phone..is your way do-able without it ? and can it install froyo 2.2 ?
Yes u can, but you'll have to follow the manual installation guide found at the technical forums, and i can supply u with the files needed.

ammyt
2010-12-02, 13:24
Worked like a charm, and sure is more usable than SD. But i always get app not responding, ant stuff is laggy, plus no cam, gps, and calls? and even almost no market. So this still is more proof of concept than OS for n900.
are you sure? I've got it running two days, with 4 gameloft games and no single lag till now. :cool: look at my post 3rd page for appmarket fix :D

plaban
2010-12-02, 13:25
It's working,thanks!!

ammyt
2010-12-02, 13:26
-- added --

ammyt
2010-12-02, 13:29
Worked like a charm! Easyest way to install android ever! THX u! Just a few problems, I can't get the network working and the wifi...it seems it can't get pass "obtaining IP adress " or something like this...anyway, any help is welcomed. THX again for this tutorial

IS your wifi encrypted? ull have to change the wifi encryption mode to wep? I guess it will work and thanks for the feedback :rolleyes:

muerte88
2010-12-02, 13:34
Yes the network is encrypted...well, I'll give it a try later from scratch! I'll factory reset my phone and try the tutorial again. Hope it workes this time.

ammyt
2010-12-02, 13:35
Yes the network is encrypted...well, I'll give it a try later from scratch! I'll factory reset my phone and try the tutorial again. Hope it workes this time.
I'll look into a solution for ya ;)
here try this first:
Change the encryption from WPA2 to WPA from your Wireless Access Point. This is a compatibility issue hopefully gonna be fixed in later releases :)

muerte88
2010-12-02, 13:37
thanks man, appreciate it

ammyt
2010-12-02, 13:46
Airplane mode OFF:
for ppl who enabled airplane mode fixes are in here tried by me:
1. enable the widget power control nd turn airplane mode off
2. if didn't work disable pin code in maemo
3. the technical solution:
cd /and/data
rm -rf *mkdir logs
chmod 777 logscd /
umount /and

BE CAREFUL IN THE rm -rf BE SURE U CD'ED IN DATA, I once deleted my nitdroid files in this method :o !
I would be happy an answer any questions and inquiries :)

XxJacobxX
2010-12-02, 13:55
Thanks Nitdroid support for the fixes and thank you ammyt for listing them in the noobiest way! :p I've successfully turned off airplane mode by removing pin in maemo, and added tons of apps in the market. All like a charm! :D

illemann
2010-12-02, 13:55
Is this a one boot android solution or can I use it as a second (dualboot) android solution. I really just want to test... I have a 6gb SD card and would be fun to test the nitdroid from this memcard.. OR maybe possible to mount nitdroid from a directory on my installed 32gb sd card in my n900???

ammyt
2010-12-02, 13:58
Is this a one boot android solution or can I use it as a second (dualboot) android solution. I really just want to test... I have a 6gb SD card and would be fun to test the nitdroid from this memcard.. OR maybe possible to mount nitdroid from a directory on my installed 32gb sd card in my n900???

This is a way to dualboot Android and maemo, both OS'es. After installing in this method look into ur memory card and phone memory settings in NITDROID u'll find that ur memory card installed is 21GBs and 3GBs of phone memory :D

ammyt
2010-12-02, 13:58
Thanks Nitdroid support for the fixes and thank you ammyt for listing them in the noobiest way! :p I've successfully turned off airplane mode by removing pin in maemo, and added tons of apps in the market. All like a charm! :D

Way to Go. And thanks for your feedback Jacob :)

mido.fayad
2010-12-02, 14:06

yes you can and it's very simple

assuming u have leafpad installed and u installed nitdroid on mmcblk0p5

open terminal :

root

then

leafpad /etc/multiboot.d/11*

then u have to edit this line from

ITEM_DEVICE=${INT_CARD}p5

to

ITEM_DEVICE=mmcblk0p5

then save and open nitdroid

ammyt
2010-12-02, 14:29
I have included new information and several fixes section to my first post :)

illemann
2010-12-02, 14:48
This is a way to dualboot Android and maemo, both OS'es. After installing in this method look into ur memory card and phone memory settings in NITDROID u'll find that ur memory card installed is 21GBs and 3GBs of phone memory :D

thx for your answer. what does it do for the maemo regarding memory, do you know?

XxJacobxX
2010-12-02, 14:52
Here is my battery reports:
It's been about 3 hours since nitdroid was installed and I've been surfing the net all over and downloading apps via market:
1.battery temp: 45^C
2.battery remaining: 50% in nitdroid 40% in Maemo (45% as an average)
3. battery health:good
btw why does the battery reading differ in maemo and is the battery health supposed to change?

ammyt
2010-12-02, 14:55
thx for your answer. what does it do for the maemo regarding memory, do you know?
The mass memory will be shared somehow between both OS'es maemo will report approximately 25 GB of MyDocs and 1.81 Gegs of sdcard memory :rolleyes:

ammyt
2010-12-02, 14:57
Here is my battery reports:
It's been about 3 hours since nitdroid was installed and I've been surfing the net all over and downloading apps via market:
1.battery temp: 45^C
2.battery remaining: 50% in nitdroid 40% in Maemo (45% as an average)
3. battery health:good
btw why does the battery reading differ in maemo and is the battery health supposed to change?
Well thanks for ur great feedback. :)
The reading differs in maemo because the Battery managemant isn't yet quiet stiff in Nitdroid, and no, battery health is supposed to remain as is for months. :D

esthreel
2010-12-02, 14:58
are you sure? I've got it running two days, with 4 gameloft games and no single lag till now. :cool: look at my post 3rd page for appmarket fix :D

market fix worked great, thanks :) On second boot it seems to run smoother, but I still would like to overclock. (sync was in the background first time)

XxJacobxX
2010-12-02, 15:00
Well thanks for ur great feedback. :)
The reading differs in maemo because the Battery managemant isn't yet quiet stiff in Nitdroid, and no, battery health is supposed to remain as is for months. :D
I seeeeee thx ammyt :)

ammyt
2010-12-02, 15:07
market fix worked great, thanks :) On second boot it seems to run smoother, but I still would like to overclock. (sync was in the background first time)
Good. The default NITDroid installation starting from 0.0.7 is slightly 'overclocked', it's running @700MHz max. But seems u want more ehh? :D Here:
basically overclocking in nitdroid is done by editing
/and/system/etc/power.conf
you can create ur own profiles or use these attached ones in my first post.
I do not suggest going any higher than 1000MHz. The difference between 1150MHz and 1000MHz is barely noticeable,
but the device generates much more heat.

XxJacobxX
2010-12-02, 15:18
@ammyt
Cool so we can OC Nitdroid too? I guess imma try the reasonable OC. So you posted the instructions on ur first post right?

ammyt
2010-12-02, 15:20
@ammyt
Cool so we can OC Nitdroid too? I guess imma try the reasonable OC. So you posted the instructions on ur first post right?
Yea sure, yes i just added them. For any assisstance simply post below :D

XxJacobxX
2010-12-02, 15:24
I can just copy them over to .conf right? What is the amount of risks?

XxJacobxX
2010-12-02, 15:26
K rebooting to nitdroid now, wooo fast bootup! there is a cpu applet i downloaded from the market, yep reading is now 900Mhz. WOW isn't that great the easiest thing! :D

ammyt
2010-12-02, 15:27
I can just copy them over to .conf right? What is the amount of risks?
YEP, that is it.

ammyt
2010-12-02, 15:27
K rebooting to nitdroid now, wooo fast bootup! there is a cpu applet i downloaded from the market, yep reading is now 900Mhz. WOW isn't that great the easiest thing! :D

GREAT, good to see that :)

raptoro07
2010-12-02, 15:31
Gents, I have some questions.
1. How much free space on eMMC is needed?
2. If you have already installed 0.0.8 on SD, can you still just follow this guide?
3. Does this still work with multiboot, I'm also on Kernel-power 46?
Thanks. This sounds like exactly what I've been wanting, now we just need 0.0.9! :)

mido.fayad
2010-12-02, 15:31
overclocking is very simple and u won't need to change anything in system

only u need to install setcpu program from market or as apk file then install it and open the program and choose ur speed and when u feel it's good u can make it run at boot from the program

i have my mobile overclocked at 1100 since long time and there is no problem at all and it runs very very good and games is very fast

ammyt
2010-12-02, 15:33
overclocking is very simple and u won't need to change anything in system

only u need to install setcpu program from market or as apk file then install it and open the program and choose ur speed and when u feel it's good u can make it run at boot from the program
Again mido u impress us a gui for OCing could be much better. Thanks!

mido.fayad
2010-12-02, 15:42
also another thingabout installation

i think that repartitioning the flash and make 2 giga new partition on emmc is better than this way as u have clean partition and u can remove it and install new one if 0.0.9 released without reflashing ur mobile
only u willl need to format the 2 giga partition and install the new one
and i have it worj=king very good with 22 giga fat partition and 5 giga for applications on maemo and 2 giga for android as mmcblk0p5

but with the method here in the topic u install it on home partition which is made for programs on maemo

ammyt
2010-12-02, 15:45
also another thingabout installation

i think that repartitioning the flash and make 2 giga new partition on emmc is better than this way as u have clean partition and u can remove it and install new one if 0.0.9 released without reflashing ur mobile
only u willl need to format the 2 giga partition and install the new one
and i have it worj=king very good with 22 giga fat partition and 5 giga for applications on maemo and 2 giga for android as mmcblk0p5

but with the method here in the topic u install it on home partition which is made for programs on maemo

Yes could be. But i personally prefer this method since i don't nother the hassle of repartitioning and this method is way too simpler :D

mido.fayad
2010-12-02, 15:46
another very easy fix to airplane mode without erasing files

open menu
then
open dev tools
then
open terminal emulator
then write the following in it

su
then
rr

Radicalz38
2010-12-02, 15:47
Anybody here knows how can I send sms through this? Well reason is... n900 is a mobile computer.. Now I only need a mobile phone :p
Missed the portrait viewing of inbox and writing messages.

ammyt
2010-12-02, 15:48
Gents, I have some questions.
1. How much free space on eMMC is needed?
2. If you have already installed 0.0.8 on SD, can you still just follow this guide?
3. Does this still work with multiboot, I'm also on Kernel-power 46?
Thanks. This sounds like exactly what I've been wanting, now we just need 0.0.9! :)

1. I don't exactly know because i didn't caculate it before and after but it wouldn't take much
2. Yes just go along step number 7
3. Yes it does work with multiboot you just need to create ur .item file, follow Nitdroid.com for further explanation :).

AgogData
2010-12-02, 15:48
thanks mido and ammyt

ammyt
2010-12-02, 15:49
another very easy fix to airplane mode without erasing files

open menu
then
open dev tools
then
open terminal emulator
then write the following in it

su
then
rr
GREAT THANKS TO U :D. My first post is going to espand by now!

mido.fayad
2010-12-02, 15:51
Yes could be. But i personally prefer this method since i don't nother the hassle of repartitioning and this method is way too simpler :D

i know that this way is simble but if u have problem in android after installation and u want to reinstall it again
what will u do ??????? :D
u will need to reflash ur mobile completely with emmc :eek:

also what will u do if u install the new games as deb files
u won't have any space on ur home partition and the phone will be very slow

ammyt
2010-12-02, 16:01
i know that this way is simble but if u have problem in android after installation and u want to reinstall it again
what will u do ??????? :D
u will need to reflash ur mobile completely with emmc :eek:

also what will u do if u install the new games as deb files
u won't have any space on ur home partition and the phone will be very slow
Not really there is a way of uninstalling nitdroid on emmc over Nitdroid.com and u just reminded me to post it! :)

muerte88
2010-12-02, 16:05
ammyt I found the problem with the network signal, it's beacause my carrier only has 2.5G not 3G. And also I can't call anybody, I can't see the numbers I am dialing and I can't hit the call or "x" button. If you find a fix, let me know. Thanks

mido.fayad
2010-12-02, 16:10
Not really there is a way of uninstalling nitdroid on emmc over Nitdroid.com and u just reminded me to post it! :)

if u mean nitdroid unistaller
i don't think that it can do it because there are alot of files that are installed on ur home partition and nitdroid unistaller won't recognize any of them

mido.fayad
2010-12-02, 16:12
ammyt I found the problem with the network signal, it's beacause my carrier only has 2.5G not 3G. And also I can't call anybody, I can't see the numbers I am dialing and I can't hit the call or "x" button. If you find a fix, let me know. Thanks

if u don't have signal u may have pin code which u should disable it

and u can't type numbers from dialler
u can use keyboard numbers instaed of it

ammyt
2010-12-02, 16:18
if u don't have signal u may have pin code which u should disable it

and u can't type numbers from dialler
u can use keyboard numbers instaed of it
These could be manually removed. ;)

muerte88
2010-12-02, 16:19
ok, thanks! I'll try this now.
You are right, on my other carrier that has 3G I don,t have pin code. maybe this is my problem.
With my other problem with the wifi, I removed the encryption and now it works fine.

ammyt
2010-12-02, 16:23
You are right, on my other carrier that has 3G I don,t have pin code. maybe this is my problem.
With my other problem with the wifi, I removed the encryption and now it works fine.
glad to hear this :D

ammyt
2010-12-02, 16:25
So i guess now everything is covered in my first post! :D If not please post in any help u need :)

mido.fayad
2010-12-02, 16:27

i have enrypted wifi and works very good
the problem that android can't recognize ad-hoc wifi

muerte88
2010-12-02, 16:28
just one last question, how can I use my dialer, you said something..is there any way I cau use it? I saw now that the only keys I can use are # and *

ammyt
2010-12-02, 16:38
just one last question, how can I use my dialer, you said something..is there any way I cau use it? I saw now that the only keys I can use are # and *
There are some issue with Nitdroid's numeric keyboard, the fix is to try swype or some custom layout keyboards downloadable from the market. Plus I recall being a tech solution for this issue, gonna look into it for ya :)
Whatever questions u have just post in here :D

Deaconclgi
2010-12-02, 16:49
Thank you for the install instructions. I already had NITDroid installed so I started from step 7 and all worked well. I was stuck in airplane mode and all I did was reboot the phone......and I was no longer in airplane mode.

Battery life seems to be improved like you stated. In my short testing, I didn't see any rabid battery eating as usual. Battery monitoring seems to be waaayyyy off for me, Maemo shows near full and NITDroid shows near empty....oh well

GREAT WORK ON ALL INVOLDED!!!

illemann
2010-12-02, 16:55
thanx, sound good :)

muerte88
2010-12-02, 17:01
Hmm, looks like I have the most problems with my android, it seems that I can dial and make calls via slide keyboard but I don't hear anything, not a sound, not a thing...

mido.fayad
2010-12-02, 17:04
Hmm, looks like I have the most problems with my android, it seems that I can dial and make calls via slide keyboard but I don't hear anything, not a sound, not a thing...

untill now there is no sound in calls in nitdroid

muerte88
2010-12-02, 17:11
ok man,I thaught that the problem was from my side. thanks for all the help

ammyt
2010-12-02, 17:20
first of all aaaahhh i feel reflashed after the hot shower i took second:
@Deaconclgi
Thanks for the feedbak bro, hope u liked it ;)
@muerte88
my fault i should have included a changelog in the intro and i hope we didn't let you down :D
@illemann
Yeah it is really good :p

bigdarkmad
2010-12-02, 17:23
Very nice job man. Great to have you here.

ammyt
2010-12-02, 17:26
Very nice job man. Great to have you here.

Thanks man, if it weren't from the great community the N900 would be abandoned loooooooooooong ago :)

Omkar
2010-12-02, 17:26
hi ammyt. I am stuck in a reboot loop.
Had nitdroid installed. uninstalled the whole thing and started fresh. Installed Nitdroid and then in NITdroid it said memory card corrupt. so formatted the memory card from droid.
now it goes till initfs and ext3 says root filesystem mmcblk1p2 not available.
When i try to boot in Maemo it reboots all the time.
I tried reflashing the kernel with a FIASCO image but didnt solve the prob.

Could you please help me??

ammyt
2010-12-02, 17:32
Had nitdroid installed. uninstalled the whole thing and started fresh. Installed Nitdroid and then in NITdroid it said memory card corrupt. so formatted the memory card from droid.

U should have formatted ur microsd before installing it again did you? I am afraid you'll have to reflash the whole fiasco image. :(

mido.fayad
2010-12-02, 17:35

u formatted ur internal memory ( 32 giga ) as nitdroid read it as it\s sd card so u have to reflash ur mobile completely ( emmc + firmware image ) and there is no other way

Omkar
2010-12-02, 17:37
i did format the microsd before reinstalling :(
is there no other way???

mido.fayad
2010-12-02, 17:39
i did format the microsd before reinstalling :(
is there no other way???

there is no problem with ur micro sd
the problem is with ur internal storage is formatted as i said above

Omkar
2010-12-02, 17:39
oh ohhh... do you think the data on emmc is recoverable?

Omkar
2010-12-02, 17:40
Wont it suffice to flash just the rootfs ?

muerte88
2010-12-02, 17:43
no man, great job, i'll wait for the fix or for the next android version. Now the install is the most user friendly than ever

raptoro07
2010-12-02, 18:01
u formatted ur internal memory ( 32 giga ) as nitdroid read it as it\s sd card so u have to reflash ur mobile completely ( emmc + firmware image ) and there is no other way

I just want to get clarification on this point. If you have NITDROID 0.0.8 already installed and start at step 7, this will just transfer the android files from SD CARD to eMMC? It will not format your eMMC. The reason this person's eMMC was formatted and all lost was because he formatted his "sd card" in android? Following this guide from step 7 is not suppose to lose all your data already on N900?

THanks

mido.fayad
2010-12-02, 18:04
Wont it suffice to flash just the rootfs ?

u formatted the 27 giga fat partition so every thin is erased so flash emmc and rootfs is better

ammyt
2010-12-02, 18:09
oh ohhh... do you think the data on emmc is recoverable?
trymto flash fiasco only at first, if not flash emmc. If u'll have to flash emmc I recommend u to download and flash one of the custom emmc's i provided in my first post

ammyt
2010-12-02, 18:11
I just want to get clarification on this point. If you have NITDROID 0.0.8 already installed and start at step 7, this will just transfer the android files from SD CARD to eMMC? It will not format your eMMC. The reason this person's eMMC was formatted and all lost was because he formatted his "sd card" in android? Following this guide from step 7 is not suppose to lose all your data already on N900?

THanks
Yes just start from step 7. U will only copy nitdroid files to ur emmc and boot from there instead of the microsd no formatting repartitioning is made

Omkar
2010-12-02, 18:17
Thanks for the help. Wil try the emmc flash..

silbah
2010-12-02, 18:20
I'm a bit confused...

On what partition will the android files be copied to?
To the 2GB applications partition or the larger MyDocs partition?

silbah

agdroubi
2010-12-02, 18:35
When a new nitdroid version is available will it update properly on emmc??

Juanma9
2010-12-02, 18:45
is it possible to make calls or not yet? is it fully functional?

agdroubi
2010-12-02, 19:07
where is the tab button in n900?

ammyt
2010-12-02, 19:08
@silbah
The 2GB partition but don't worry It wouldn't take much space ~150Mbs
You can even download and flash one of the custom emmcs i included just backup ur data and flash one of the custom emmcs
@agdroubi
Definitely yes!
@Juanma9
It is possible to recieve sms and calls but to make, no

bobbydoedoe
2010-12-02, 19:08
whoa, good job in the writeup. but i will leave the android os on my sd card, as it does not deserve to be on the EMMC :)

ammyt
2010-12-02, 19:09
where is the tab button in n900?

In xterm it is on the screen :rolleyes:

ammyt
2010-12-02, 19:10
whoa, good job in the writeup. but i will leave the android os on my sd card, as it does not deserve to be on the EMMC :)
I think it does, the video i'm uploading will difinitely persuade u to :D

agdroubi
2010-12-02, 19:15
ITEM_NAME="NITdroid on MMCp2 - 2.6.28.NIT.05"
ITEM_KERNEL=2.6.28.NIT.05
ITEM_MODULES=ext3 fat vfat
ITEM_DEVICE=${INT_CARD}p2
ITEM_FSTYPE=ext3
ITEM_FSOPTIONS=rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro,commit=3
EOF

I have instead
ITEM_NAME="NITdroid on MMCp2 - 2.6.28.NIT.06"
ITEM_FSTYPE=ext3
EOF

ammyt
2010-12-02, 19:18
ITEM_FSTYPE=ext3
EOF

I have instead
ITEM_NAME="NITdroid on MMCp2 - 2.6.28.NIT.06"
ITEM_FSTYPE=ext3
EOF

did u download a fresh copy or is this installed before
EDIT: Ignore it just copy the files as stated and change EXT to INT Don't worry this is the boot menu name

agdroubi
2010-12-02, 19:21
Installed before

ammyt
2010-12-02, 19:29
look at the edit above, and feedback!

raptoro07
2010-12-02, 19:29
Installed before

I am the same. Just changed the .05 to .06 and it worked fine

agdroubi
2010-12-02, 19:30
EDIT: Ignore it just copy the files as stated and change EXT to INT Don't worry this is the boot menu name

Not only in the first value all the 05 are changed to 06

ammyt
2010-12-02, 19:33
this is just the name of the bootmenu entry change it as it's nothing to worry about

confusedfella
2010-12-02, 19:34
How do you uninstall nitdroid on the emmc?

raptoro07
2010-12-02, 19:34
I just wanted to take a moment to put in my two cents for this.

THIS IS AWESOME!!!! Thanks ammyt!

I had NITDROID already installed and followed the guide from #7 on and now I have a very nice Android that is smooth and fast. If you have NITDROID on SD Card, you have got to put it on the eMMC. This is the way to go. Full on dual OS's. Once 0.0.9 comes out with newer android and fixes, this may be a run all the time situation for me.

ammyt
2010-12-02, 19:35
How do you uninstall nitdroid on the emmc?
look at the first post last entry :)

mido.fayad
2010-12-02, 20:12
hey ammyt

there is some thing wrong in unistalling

as the command mount /dev/mmcblk1p2 /and only mounts mmcblk1p2 which is a partition of the memory card not emmc so it won't unistall nitdroid installed on /home

ammyt
2010-12-02, 20:17
hey ammyt

there is some thing wrong in unistalling

as the command mount /dev/mmcblk1p2 /and only mounts mmcblk1p2 which is a partition of the memory card not emmc so it won't unistall nitdroid installed on /home

Files added over their can be manually removed

ammyt
2010-12-02, 20:18
oh my god my internet is so crapped up *sighs*

tele
2010-12-02, 20:26
will definately try it over the weekend. Looks really easy :)
thanks buddy

ammyt
2010-12-02, 20:29
good i've everything complete except that damn video. lol

Ali
2010-12-02, 20:42
hi Ammyt,

question= in ur first post u mentioned after succesfully installed nitdroid u have to reboot the n900 with open keyboard?

now my question is i have backupmenu installed which u can use only if u reboot with open keyboard.

will this give problems when u want to choose Nitdroid by typing 2???

thanks

ammyt
2010-12-02, 20:53
hi Ammyt,

question= in ur first post u mentioned after succesfully installed nitdroid u have to reboot the n900 with open keyboard?

now my question is i have backupmenu installed which u can use only if u reboot with open keyboard.

will this give problems when u want to choose Nitdroid by typing 2???

thanks
Well i didn't install backupmenu before so dunno much about it but if u successfully go through backupmeu and entered the bootmenu just typing 2 will let u enter nitdroid successfully. :)

Ali
2010-12-02, 21:02
can i install nitdroid with the stock kernel of maemo??
or do i need i custom one?

and overclocking nitdroid? with custom kernel or stock??

sorry i am totally noob.

ammyt
2010-12-02, 21:09
No problemo Ali:
Installing nitdroid will install its own kernel along, preferrably stock nokia kernel should be used. Extra steps shall be done if running titans kernel.
overclocking nitdroid needs nothing, just to edit a .conf file!

nokiottolo89
2010-12-02, 22:41
Hello folks,

I installed nitdroid on micro sd 8 gb (class 4), but the general speed of Os was very very slow and the battery runs out very quickly, about 3-4 hours...but the miracle happened :eek:

Following the route from step 7, I copied the folder /and to main memory (emmc) and starting n900 from the boot.
Now has nothing to envy to the terminals as the galaxy or desire...:cool:

Speed is increased by 10 times and now I have a terminal responsive as I've always wanted maemo-android and at the same time as the failings of a are filled with each other.

Thanks to the Nitdroid team ... I love you and congratulations for the work and hope for a port to 100% on our fantastic phone :rolleyes:

nokiottolo89
2010-12-02, 22:45
tomorrow i will post a video with new hack ;)

georgefjones
2010-12-02, 22:50
"Can't flash kernel, files not found. Guru Meditation"

Got this on start up?

confusedfella
2010-12-02, 22:55
look at the first post last entry :)

woops sorry mate, didn't see it, sleep deprivation makes my brains sluggish.

Tiger62651
2010-12-02, 22:56
Hello folks,

I installed nitdroid on micro sd 8 gb (class 4), but the general speed of Os was very very slow and the battery runs out very quickly, about 3-4 hours...but the miracle happened :eek:

Following the route from step 7, I copied the folder /and to main memory (emmc) and starting n900 from the boot.
Now has nothing to envy to the terminals as the galaxy or desire...:cool:

Speed is increased by 10 times and now I have a terminal responsive as I've always wanted maemo-android and at the same time as the failings of a are filled with each other.

Thanks to the Nitdroid team ... I love you and congratulations for the work and hope for a port to 100% on our fantastic phone :rolleyes:

Congrats, I been running NITDroid for months now on a N900 a friend sold to me. Although you all need to know that yes it may use "less" battery power but the battery icon is not correct. It does normally report higher battery power than whats really in the battery. Known problem. Also if you got alot of apps running then the battery will drain extremely fast. Also keep it away from heat as charging it does warm up the battery some.

kylepsp
2010-12-02, 23:10
Thanks for this! Really useful, way better then what it was on my MMC, as soon as sms sending is sorted it ll be perfect!

My led is constantly on green btw is this normal?

cheers

nokiottolo89
2010-12-02, 23:32
Now I downloaded all games in 3d ;)

The wifi signal and speed connection are increased ;)

nokiottolo89
2010-12-02, 23:33
Thanks for this! Really useful, way better then what it was on my MMC, as soon as sms sending is sorted it ll be perfect!

My led is constantly on green btw is this normal?

cheers

Led green= full charge ;)

bobbydoedoe
2010-12-03, 00:26
"Can't flash kernel, files not found. Guru Meditation"

Got this on start up?

i had the same issue, do this:

change the .05 to .06 in the following lines, if the file inside the multiboot menu has .06 as ending

009N
2010-12-03, 03:39
Drooling ... :pIs it possible to install the whole NitDroid on another partition in eMMC, say /dev/mmcblkp1p3, etc.? I want to play safe and delegate alternative OSs to different paritions.
Thanks!! :D

bob0smith
2010-12-03, 03:50
Stuck on step 4.

Stock pr1.3 n900, no SDCard (guessing this is likely the problem)

Get as far as step 4, I type YES, it downloads, it installs 4 or 5 items, uninstalls incompatible software (0 of) then stops with the following error -

/dev/mmcblk1: no such file or directory

sfdisk: cannot open /dev/mmcblk1 for reading

Tried it twice now, second time around it doesn't do much during the download and install (I presume because it's already done) and I get the same error as above, just without the 10 minute wait for it to download :D

Edit - As per this post (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=887547&postcount=32) about editing 11*, that doesn't exist as yet; only a maemo.item, examples and readme in the multiboot.d directory.

sajjji
2010-12-03, 04:14
thanks ammyt

but ..

i use this method and remove my microsd from the my N900 to check it !

nitdroid boot up

but battery drain fast :( and nitdroid is not 10 times faster, even faster than a class 8 card :(:(:(:(:(

what is problem ???

fraaaaanka
2010-12-03, 10:14
Stuck on step 4.

Stock pr1.3 n900, no SDCard (guessing this is likely the problem)

Get as far as step 4, I type YES, it downloads, it installs 4 or 5 items, uninstalls incompatible software (0 of) then stops with the following error -

/dev/mmcblk1: no such file or directory

sfdisk: cannot open /dev/mmcblk1 for reading

Tried it twice now, second time around it doesn't do much during the download and install (I presume because it's already done) and I get the same error as above, just without the 10 minute wait for it to download :D

I have the exact same problem ... can anyone help???

kylepsp
2010-12-03, 10:58
Led green= full charge ;)

I know that on maemo lol, but it wasnt on charge and it wasnt anywhere near full on android

kylepsp
2010-12-03, 11:46
Got another problem, I cant sign in to my google account, internet works everywhere else but whenever i try signing in it fails because of the connection

ammyt
2010-12-03, 12:37
I have the exact same problem ... can anyone help???

Sorry guys for leaving u for looong time :p I have some crappy internet that drove me to throwing my laptop outta the window :mad:
secondly: You will need an sd card any type just be sure it is clean and formatted :)

ammyt
2010-12-03, 12:44
Drooling ... :pIs it possible to install the whole NitDroid on another partition in eMMC, say /dev/mmcblkp1p3, etc.? I want to play safe and delegate alternative OSs to different paritions.
Thanks!! :D

It is but you'll have to follow the manual installations guidline and change the partition at which NITdroid install check out Nitdroid.com for more info :D

CepiPerez
2010-12-03, 12:47
More easy way, and it works if you don't have SD card.
Important: It's for overclocked phones, if you dont have kernel-power installed then wait someone make this for stock kernels.

1. If you have uboot or bootmenu, remove it.
2. Install rootsh and leafpad
3. Download NITDroid rootfs from here (http://downloads.nitdroid.com/nitinstaller/Packages/NitDroid-0.0.8-Popov.tar.bz2).
4. Download NITDroid kernel from here (http://downloads.nitdroid.com/nitinstaller/Packages/nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06_final1_armel.deb).
5. Copy downloaded files to MyDocs.

6. Open x-term and do this:
sudo gainroot
mkdir /and
mount /home /and
apt-get install multiboot multiboot-kernel-power bzip2
cd /home/user/MyDocs
bzip2 -d NitDroid-0.0.8-Popov.tar.bz2
cd /and
tar xvf /home/user/MyDocs/NitDroid-0.0.8-Popov.tar
dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06_final1_armel.deb
umount /and

7. Make the multiboot item as ammyt says in first post.
8. Apply FIXES postes in first post if you want

That's all. You don't need any SD card!

ammyt
2010-12-03, 12:47
Got another problem, I cant sign in to my google account, internet works everywhere else but whenever i try signing in it fails because of the connection
Looks like ur the only one with this issue :eek:,

kylepsp
2010-12-03, 12:48
Any ideas?

ammyt
2010-12-03, 12:51
Important: It's for overclocked phones, if you dont have kernel-power installed then wait someone make this for stock kernels.

3. Download NITDroid rootfs from here (http://downloads.nitdroid.com/nitinstaller/Packages/NitDroid-0.0.8-Popov.tar.bz2).
4. Download NITDroid kernel from here (http://downloads.nitdroid.com/nitinstaller/Packages/nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06_final1_armel.deb).

sudo gainroot
mkdir /and
mount /home /and
cd /home/user/MyDocs
cd /and
umount /and

Thanks for sharing! gonna add this too :D

sajjji
2010-12-03, 13:22
Thanks for sharing! gonna add this too :D

ammyt

how can i delete nitdroid with your method ? !!

without memory card it boot up

ammyt
2010-12-03, 13:29
ammyt
how can i delete nitdroid with your method ? !!
without memory card it boot up

First post last entry :D

zaksloan
2010-12-03, 13:30
Thank you Ammyt and CepiPerez!

I have it all up and running without any issues. You're both providing a great service to the Maemo community! Keep up the good work.

sajjji
2010-12-03, 13:49
First post last entry :D

sorry man

nitdroid remove completed and i format memory card

but

using filebox delete nitdroid's installation files that were copied to home

where is this ??

sorry man i am tiro

agdroubi
2010-12-03, 15:59
nitdroid 0.0.9 will come this weak??

georgefjones
2010-12-03, 16:27
Got NITdroid up and running. It must be a good tutorial if i can do it!
Problem is...now i want an Android phone!
Good job, cheers.

clovis86
2010-12-03, 16:34
working perfectly here :D

bob0smith
2010-12-03, 17:07
As per CepiPerez post, I installed android. I now have all the files in place, and a multiboot item however ....

I'm going to guess this is related to the editing of the multiboot item. I'm getting a guru meditation error

Root filesystem mmcblk0p5 NOT available!
Guru Meditation #000000025.62017712

Hit any key to panic!

Maemo boots fine, only NITDroid gives the above error.

At this point I was about to post my multiboot .item file contents for you folks to look at and give me help but the solution was in the name of the 11* .item name. For me, it's not mmcblk0p5, it's mmcblk0p2.

Booting into android right now :D

Thanks everyone for you help!! :D

Deaconclgi
2010-12-03, 17:30
As per CepiPerez post, I installed android. I now have all the files in place, and a multiboot item however ....

I'm going to guess this is related to the editing of the multiboot item. I'm getting a guru meditation error

Root filesystem mmcblk0p5 NOT available!
Guru Meditation #000000025.62017712

Hit any key to panic!

Maemo boots fine, only NITDroid gives the above error.

At this point I was about to post my multiboot .item file contents for you folks to look at and give me help but the solution was in the name of the 11* .item name. For me, it's not mmcblk0p5, it's mmcblk0p2.

Booting into android right now :D

Thanks everyone for you help!! :D

If you get this error and you have NITDroid that ends in .06, delete the words highlighted in BOLD from your multiboot file:

ITEM_FSTYPE=ext3
EOF

NITDroid should boot fine once you have deleted those words.

ryanl33x1511
2010-12-03, 20:03
was wondering the phone call in and out microphone work yet ?

tusharmax
2010-12-03, 20:21
I admire the work you have done to help some fellow noobs and non-noobs but Your tutorial at certain places is confusing / incorrect or not correctly placed.

c) edit the boot file
Code:
leafpad /etc/multiboot.d/1

shouldn't this be

d) edit ur .item file to look like this
ITEM_FSTYPE=ext3
EOF

And should not this be as per the first attached image

http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=16088&stc=1&d=1291289518

Those minor mistakes go a long way botching up users device and dreams for getting some developer hands on :D

Please correct em!

M00NB34M
2010-12-03, 20:41
RIght for as petty as this seems, is there ANY WAY of getting this to work without the need of a card in the slot?

My phone doesnt detect the back cover anymore, so therefore doesn't detect the MMC, which is the reason why my N900 is repartitioned to get this to work!!

Any ideas guys?

Thanks!

Deaconclgi
2010-12-03, 20:58
Here is a comparison video of NITDroid via eMMC vs an HD2 with the latest Nexus FroYo 2.2.1.

Very nice UI speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7MIGu2POzY

confusedfella
2010-12-03, 23:15
Which files in /home are nitdroid's? I dont want to delete something that will require a reflash.

Thanks,

ceroberts75
2010-12-04, 01:46
just like before...i get a battery issue. it loads and then the red led flashes and then shows the battery is dead...even on a new battery, then shuts down.

:/

any ideas?

ceroberts75
2010-12-04, 01:52
If you get this error and you have NITDroid that ends in .06, delete the words highlighted in BOLD from your multiboot file:

ITEM_FSTYPE=ext3
EOF

NITDroid should boot fine once you have deleted those words.

i have a .06.

my first line shows

ITEM_NAME="NITDroid 2.6.28.NIT.06 on mmcblk1p2"

and the BOLDed info above is not on this. but is boots into a power-down state as it is not reading the battery. still boots into maemo fine though.

Laughing Man
2010-12-04, 02:03
was wondering the phone call in and out microphone work yet ?

Phone calls work in and out, you just can't talk to anyone. And microphone also works, but not with the phone app oddly.

ceroberts75
2010-12-04, 02:07

sudo gainroot
mkdir /and
mount /home /and
cd /home/user/MyDocs
cd /and
umount /and

how about uninstallation of this? do we have to vanilla flash our device?

ceroberts75
2010-12-04, 02:08
RIght for as petty as this seems, is there ANY WAY of getting this to work without the need of a card in the slot?

My phone doesnt detect the back cover anymore, so therefore doesn't detect the MMC, which is the reason why my N900 is repartitioned to get this to work!!

Any ideas guys?

Thanks!

look at the post on page 14 of this thread.

ing005
2010-12-04, 04:24
i can't oc Nitdroid

Fail at step 2

kshlm
2010-12-04, 05:14
Did the manual install as given on the NITDroid wiki page. But now stuck while booting NITDroid.
It gets stuck after saying:
E: videoep: xcb connect failed
It says this several times and the gets stuck. Does nothing for hours.

Anyone have any idea why?

M00NB34M
2010-12-04, 06:14
Did the manual install as given on the NITDroid wiki page. But now stuck while booting NITDroid.
It gets stuck after saying:
E: videoep: xcb connect failed
It says this several times and the gets stuck. Does nothing for hours.

Anyone have any idea why?

EXACTLY what i used to get, i think its related to not having an MMC in the slot. Good luck finding any proper answers, iv searched EVERYWHERE and no use :/

kshlm
2010-12-04, 06:29
SO then how are people getting it running without having a SD card?

Any one who got it installed manually without SD card, please help.

mido.fayad
2010-12-04, 07:01
SO then how are people getting it running without having a SD card?

Any one who got it installed manually without SD card, please help.

i have it running without SD card
read the first page
only you need to change (int_card)p5 to mmcblk0p5

ing005
2010-12-04, 07:06
how can i remove nitdroid-kernel

try with appman and xterm but doesn't work

please help

bob0smith
2010-12-04, 08:19
read the first page

As per my post, it's not mmcblk0p5 for everyone. For me at least, it's mmcblk0p2. You can see which is correct for you in the name of the nitdroid.item created for multiboot. Removing (or rather not adding) fat and vfat made no difference for me. I followed this post (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=888325&postcount=136) by CepiPerez to install NITDroid, and then continued to edit my multiboot .item as per ammyt's tutorial in the first post, step 7. The only thing that was stopping me booting to android was putting in the correct mmcblk during step 7.

HTH

kshlm
2010-12-04, 08:41
read the first page

I've done just that. And I've tried CepiPerez's method as well. Both fail with the same outcome.
Anyone else having my problem. Its so frustrating. I tried enabling loggging to see what the problem was. But even that does'nt work. No logs. This is really frustrating.

Edit:
So dumb of me. Had used $mmcblk0p5 instead of just mmcblk0p5.
Booting now. At the animated android screen now.

Minhaz
2010-12-04, 09:45
i must say after installing on emmc i have only got once "This Application is Not Respondig"....while on my class 4 memory card i used 2 get dat that msg countless no of timess

*Sonic*
2010-12-04, 10:11
This is good that its no longer a requirement to run from a slow sd card

I tried this last night and tbh the performance is about the same as the samsung 8gb class 6 sd card I was using previously which was lighting fast compared to the class 4 I was using previously

still a way to go before it can be used fully but still very good in what it does

travik
2010-12-04, 11:46
I've done just that. And I've tried CepiPerez's method as well. Both fail with the same outcome.
Anyone else having my problem. Its so frustrating. I tried enabling loggging to see what the problem was. But even that does'nt work. No logs. This is really frustrating.

Edit:
So dumb of me. Had used $mmcblk0p5 instead of just mmcblk0p5.
Booting now. At the animated android screen now.

Grr.. I've tried both mmcblk0p5 and mmcblk0p2, still get the guru meditation root filesystem not available error. Any hints?

EDIT: checking cat /proc/partitions, mmcblk0p2 is definitely my /home partition. I double checked and all of the nitdroid filesystem is there, exactly like in the file downloaded from CepiPerez's post. The nitdroid modules are in place as far as I can tell. What else could be causing this?

kshlm
2010-12-04, 14:23
@travik, CepiPrez mentions that you need to have Kernel-Power for his method to work. Do you have kernel-power installed?

CepiPerez
2010-12-04, 14:43
Yes I have kernel-power. I recommend you use version 46. It's very stable in Maemo (I never get a reboot with it).
You can use stock kernel for this, but it's outdated to PR1.2 in NITDroid.

For those who want to remove NITDroid from eMMC:
Remove those folders inside /home: bin, data, dev, etc (symlink), initrd, lib (symlink), mnt, proc, sbin, sdcard, sys, system, tmp, usr.
And remove those files inside /home: default.prop, init, init.nokia.rc, init.rc

The folders user and opt belongs to Maemo! Don't touch them! Everything else can be removed safely.

ammyt
2010-12-04, 14:51
thx god i returned, well,
My internet got so crapped up during the last days so i got stranded all alone :(. But thx Cepiperez for ur support! :D man u know everything and for all viewers i'm going to update my first post with all the necessary information :) u demand.
BTW ryt now im kinda taking out internet from the neighbors ummm u know :P

travik
2010-12-04, 16:03
@travik, CepiPrez mentions that you need to have Kernel-Power for his method to work. Do you have kernel-power installed?

I was running Power Kernel 46 when I followed the instructions; afterwords I seem to have booted into default maemo; I added a multiboot power kernel entry after some instructions from the other Nitdroid thread, booted into power kernel, re-dpkg'd the nitdroid kernel deb, fiddled around with various options in the multiboot nitdroid item... no luck :(

I'd start over again and try the original method installing to an SD card then transferring... but I don't think this would change anything; the end result of having the nitdroid filesystem on the home partition is the same, no? Is there any chance some sort of permissions got screwed up (i unpacked the filesystem from xterm on the device)? Should I try a reinstall of multiboot?

thx all for help

anapospastos
2010-12-04, 16:20
Is it a problem if nitdroid files are placed in a folder into /home eg /home/nitdroid/ ? Regarding power kernel, except version 42, version 45 will work?

tele
2010-12-04, 17:04
i have to have something int he memory card slot otherwise it wont bootup :(
is there any way to boot it without memory card?

also i used to boot using 2GB card. Slow one! but i doesn't seem to be much difference in terms of lag :confused: any ideas?

some of the games lag using mmc but never did with slow memory card :confused:

CepiPerez
2010-12-04, 17:04
Sorry, I sayd version 42 but I'm using version 46 of kernel-power.
Do not create nitdroid folder inside /home cause it will not boot

travik
2010-12-04, 19:54
I was running Power Kernel 46 when I followed the instructions; afterwords I seem to have booted into default maemo; I added a multiboot power kernel entry after some instructions from the other Nitdroid thread, booted into power kernel, re-dpkg'd the nitdroid kernel deb, fiddled around with various options in the multiboot nitdroid item... no luck :(

I'd start over again and try the original method installing to an SD card then transferring... but I don't think this would change anything; the end result of having the nitdroid filesystem on the home partition is the same, no? Is there any chance some sort of permissions got screwed up (i unpacked the filesystem from xterm on the device)? Should I try a reinstall of multiboot?

thx all for help

wheee! turns out I just needed to change it to mmcblk1p2. Weird. Android booting screen now.

travik
2010-12-04, 20:43

Grr, I have the same problem. its been signing into my google account for about 25 minutes now. I assume its the connection, tho i was able to connect to my wifi just fine when it asked. I'd love to try to connect to my cellular data or try to reconnect to the wifi but there don't seem to be any such options.

edit: ok, found the solution here http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=815088&postcount=372, didn't realize you can scroll down to skip the sign in

bhagiratha
2010-12-04, 21:17
Can someone direct me to where I can find a recent guide to help me install meego along side the maemo and NITdroid dual boot configuration I already have on the n900.

Presently using the multiboot kernel.

thanks

p.s I am still a newbie at this, so be gentle .. :)

crash16
2010-12-04, 22:12
is it possible to install nitdroid in MyDocs?

DDRFAN
2010-12-04, 23:05
I was wondering: how do you check if you successfully overclocked in nitdroid?

bulelet
2010-12-04, 23:29
I cant do it. i keep getting this

cant flash kernel required files not found: guru meditation #00000025.62017712

here's what i did:
root
sudo apt-get update
apt-get install nitdroid-installer

...badabing! nitdroid installer is on my n900

on to the steps IF you dont have an SD card

sudo gainroot
mkdir /and
mount /home /and
cd /home/user/MyDocs
cd /and

..badaboom! you'll see all this text scrolling up like when your installing on an xterm (LOL)

so i go on to type this last command:
umount /and

then it responds with the system is busy.

so i just keep going and on to this step:

root

and pastes this over:
ITEM_DEVICE=mmcblk0p5
ITEM_FSTYPE=ext3
EOF

then i save it, restart, press 2 and get this:

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EDIT WHAT I DID SO I CAN GET ANDROID TOO.

HammY
2010-12-05, 01:58
Thanks ammyt for this very useful collection of information and the discussion.

And, a MEGA thanks to the NITDRIOD TEAM! for making all this possible :D

I just recently installed NITDroid onto a new MMC card bought specifically for this, and now following your instruction have successfully moved it to the EmbeddedMMC eek: Easy, and I recommend it :D

My only comments are:

- the copy at 7.b takes a minute or more (I know, I'm too impatient) This was probably due to all my apps I've added in last few days.

- the information for overclocking is relevant for when NITDROID is on the MMC
After copying to the EMMC the file is at: /home/system/etc/power.conf

--
HammY

kshlm
2010-12-05, 02:40
I cant do it. i keep getting this

here's what i did:
root
sudo apt-get update
apt-get install nitdroid-installer

...badabing! nitdroid installer is on my n900

on to the steps IF you dont have an SD card

sudo gainroot
mkdir /and
mount /home /and
cd /home/user/MyDocs
cd /and

..badaboom! you'll see all this text scrolling up like when your installing on an xterm (LOL)

so i go on to type this last command:
umount /and

then it responds with the system is busy.

so i just keep going and on to this step:

root

and pastes this over:
ITEM_DEVICE=mmcblk0p5
ITEM_FSTYPE=ext3
EOF

then i save it, restart, press 2 and get this:

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EDIT WHAT I DID SO I CAN GET ANDROID TOO.
@bulelet,
change this to 06

kshlm
2010-12-05, 02:44
What are all the fixes available for NITDroid.
Right now I got FakeGPS & Sensors fix, which I found in the download folder for NITDroid. (I'm not sure what they are doing though. Didn't find any info on them)
Are there any other fixes. More specifically, any fix for the microphone?

HammY
2010-12-05, 03:14
What are all the fixes available for NITDroid.
Right now I got FakeGPS & Sensors fix, which I found in the download folder for NITDroid. (I'm not sure what they are doing though. Didn't find any info on them)
Are there any other fixes. More specifically, any fix for the microphone?

Microphone fix:
http://forum.nitdroid.com/index.php?topic=458.0

--
HammY

bulelet
2010-12-05, 03:15
OK forget about my first post.
I just reflashed my phone both firmware and emmc, now im off to a fresh start.

I have kernel power installed, leafpad and multiboot too, following this instructions right now:

sudo gainroot
mkdir /and
success
mount /home /and
success
success
cd /home/user/MyDocs
success
cd /and
success
-still on:
Running depmod...
Creating item file for multiboot

tried to enter umount /and
phone responded with: cannot umount Device or resource busy.

how long does that step take?

OMG i finished the steps AND I ONLY HAVE NITDROID on choices.
WTF?
i give up.
reflashing my phone and never doing this again. LOL

dekin
2010-12-05, 04:19

I have kernel power installed, leafpad and multiboot too, following this instructions right now:

sudo gainroot
mkdir /and
success
mount /home /and
success
success
cd /home/user/MyDocs
success
cd /and
success
-still on:
Running depmod...

WTF?
i give up.
yep. i just had the same problem too. nitdroid was the only option to choose from when you boot up. reflashed back to stock

M00NB34M
2010-12-05, 05:54
yep. i just had the same problem too. nitdroid was the only option to choose from when you boot up. reflashed back to stock

Same here! I think we shoulda made a Boot file in /etc/mulitboot.d/,

I'll try and fix it! But when i boot Android, its says ANDROID, then switches over to a white cursor in the top left corner...and thats the end of that!

Although checked here!

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=61896&page=4

found he had the blinking cursor, go to post 15...can anyone verify this? Thanks?

Worst part is iv installed this a billion times on MMC before i dropped my phone! but emmc is giving me a headache

anapospastos
2010-12-05, 08:45
@dekin @bulelet

You ve had to edit the multiboot files(.item). I ve got 3 choices when I m booting, stock kernel, power46 and nitdroid from emmc.
If you press o when you re on multiboot choices default kernel will begin.

fraaaaanka
2010-12-05, 11:49
I admire the work you have done to help some fellow noobs and non-noobs but Your tutorial at certain places is confusing / incorrect or not correctly placed.

shouldn't this be

And should not this be as per the first attached image

http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=16088&stc=1&d=1291289518

Those minor mistakes go a long way botching up users device and dreams for getting some developer hands on :D

Please correct em!

OH MY GOD (im a noob by the way)
This has had me so confused .... I went through all steps until I got stuck at step 7c .... I couldnt work out why I wasnt getting the expected text in leafpad??? tried for ages, did all steps from 1 - 7 a few times until i gave up but tried rebooting with keyboard open to see what happens - nitdroid loaded up fine??

after reading this post from tusharmax I have just gone into xterm and typed in 'root' then 'leafpad /etc/multiboot.d/11* and got the expected text open up in leafpad - edited the one line so it matched what tutorial said to change it to - restarted into nitdroid but it works the same as before??

what does editing that text do? is it essential?

ammyt mabye you could edit your tutorial to reflect the correct leafpad /etc/multiboot.d/11* text??

georgefjones
2010-12-05, 12:23
could someone please write a quick tutorial on how and where to install fixes? i.e like the mic fix and 3g?

Cheers

tele
2010-12-05, 12:39

sudo gainroot
mkdir /and
success
mount /home /and
success
success
cd /home/user/MyDocs
success
cd /and
success
-still on:
Running depmod...

WTF?
i give up.

when it says "cannot umount Device or resource busy" this means you are still in /and directory.
to umount it. type "exit" then "root" then "umount /and"
it should umount it
you wont be able to umount it while you're in the /and directory!

clovis86
2010-12-05, 12:40

just have to type touche 0 to boot stock kernel ...

ammyt
2010-12-05, 12:52
hey folks,
Just fixed my internet im rocking now. I'll update my post with all the latest help and contribution so please don't panic. Very great thanks to Cepiperez and mido.fayad for sharing wonderful information with us. I'm just gonna edit my first post and return to qoute and reply ur posts :) and btw folks big thx for the post rating :D

ammyt
2010-12-05, 13:34
UPDATE, UPDATE, UPDATE:
1. added frequent errors section
a) guru meditation
b) only nitdroid in multiboot
2. added my video's link :D
3. added a new fix
Got a new suggesstion? Post! :p

slender
2010-12-05, 13:42
ammyt,
Nice guide.
What do you think about if we tried to move it to maemo Wiki and then in first post just left link to that wiki and suggestion to comment wiki page here?

ammyt
2010-12-05, 13:47
ammyt,
Nice guide.
What do you think about if we tried to move it to maemo Wiki and then in first post just left link to that wiki and suggestion to comment wiki page here?

Cool I was just thinking about it! Can you guide me to the ryt path then?

slender
2010-12-05, 13:51
Cool I was just thinking about it! Can you guide me to the ryt path then?
Okey.

Do you have account in maemo.org/wiki.maemo.org section? (Yes for some weird reason we still have many accounts around here)

Do you have any experience on wiki markup(the wiki style editing)?

I could try to make first revision.

On the other hand I do not know which one is best place nitdroid wiki or maemo.org wiki. Only thing I know is that best thing is to have it in one place only and place where all the people can edit & comment it.

ammyt
2010-12-05, 13:53
Okey.

Do you have account in maemo.org/wiki.maemo.org section? (Yes for some weird reason we still have many accounts around here)

Do you have any experience on wiki markup(the wiki style editing)?

I could try to make first revision.

On the other hand I do not know if nitdroid wiki is better place of maemo.org wiki. Only thing I know is that best thing is to have it in one place only and place where all the people can edit & comment it.

Weird, i thought it was just me who couldn't sign in my account when i was on a page other than talk.maemo.org. guess that's the first step imma create an account.

anapospastos
2010-12-05, 14:11
After I installed nitdroid on the emmc, putted the patches(microphone fix, ofono, busybox) and fixed the market I 've got the following situation. When wifi is disabled the speed is the same with the video ammyt shooted. When wifi is enabled the speed is the same as before(installed on micro sd class 6). After many reboots the "problem" remains. Sometimes though the speed is still as slow as before installed on micro sd that mentioned before. Has anyone else the same result?

I noticed that wifi is disabled too in ammyts' s video.

ammyt
2010-12-05, 14:15
After I installed nitdroid on the emmc, putted the patches(microphone fix, ofono, busybox) and fixed the market I 've got the following situation. When wifi is disabled the speed is the same with the video ammyt shooted. When wifi is enabled the speed is the same as before(installed on micro sd class 6). After many reboots the "problem" remains. Sometimes though the speed is still as slow as before installed on micro sd that mentioned before. Has anyone else the same result?

I noticed that wifi is disabled too in ammyts' s video.
Even if i connect to a wifi, Nitdroid will still run as fast as always! I guess i'll have to record an another video showing the capabilities of internet in nitdroid installed in the emmc ;) :D.

ammyt
2010-12-05, 14:18
I logged in to my account in wiki.maemo.org what's next?

ammyt
2010-12-05, 14:19
never mind just discovered it :D

anapospastos
2010-12-05, 14:21
Even if i connect to a wifi, Nitdroid will still run as fast as always! I guess i'll have to record an another video showing the capabilities of internet in nitdroid installed in the emmc ;) :D.

Whats the wrong then? You ve done overclock?

georgefjones
2010-12-05, 14:29
how and where do i install the fixes? anyone?

Cheers

ammyt
2010-12-05, 14:33
Whats the wrong then? You ve done overclock?
Nope I'm running stock nitdroid kernel (500-700)

ammyt
2010-12-05, 14:40
how and where do i install the fixes? anyone?

Cheers

guess ur talking about the airplane fix?
the first one is done in nitdroid's terminal emulator
the second one is in Xterminal

xuggs
2010-12-05, 14:44
I don't mean to disrespect but just saw your video and my sdcard C6 runs faster then that. I installed on emmc ages ago but didn't really see much of a difference, of course I have tweaked quite a bit for faster response.

Good job with the guide. cheers.

anapospastos
2010-12-05, 15:02
I don't mean to disrespect but just saw your video and my sdcard C6 runs faster then that. I installed on emmc ages ago but didn't really see much of a difference, of course I have tweaked quite a bit for faster response.

Good job with the guide. cheers.

Can you report your tweaks for speed? One is disable adcw launcher right?

(gitorious of nitdroid is very active last hours:) )

xuggs
2010-12-05, 15:07
http://forum.nitdroid.com/index.php?topic=209.msg1046#msg1046

I am running OC @ 900 and yes replaced adw.launcher with launcherpro. There are many others available in the market. Test as pleases.

ammyt
2010-12-05, 15:17
Well it depends i guess, nevermind.
just added a wiki page: http://wiki.maemo.org/Nitdroid_easy_install_on_EMMC#Frequent_errors

georgefjones
2010-12-05, 16:40
guess ur talking about the airplane fix?
the first one is done in nitdroid's terminal emulator
the second one is in Xterminal

actually i was talking about the patches for the mic and to enable a 3g connection. although i am also trying to get the aeroplane fix to work too :-)

cheers

yopyop123
2010-12-05, 17:21
Hi ! Firstly, Thanks a lot for this tutorial !! :D:D
I would like : Install nitdroid on emmc remove things on EMMC ?

Sorry for my bad english.

anapospastos
2010-12-05, 17:27
Hi ! Firstly, Thanks a lot for this tutorial !! :D:D
I would like : Install nitdroid on emmc remove things on EMMC ?

Sorry for my bad english.

If remove emmc , and all your files delete the n nine hundred will be HUGE brick.

Seriously, improve your engilsh or bring somebody who speak them to help you. All the information exist in the first post with all details you need.

Ali
2010-12-05, 18:04
does the terminal in Nitdroid works as Maemo? and can some one post a link with working apps and games?

thanks

clovis86
2010-12-05, 18:17
does the terminal in Nitdroid works as Maemo? and can some one post a link with working apps and games?

thanks

already available on the wiki of nitdroid
google is your friend...
http://www.nitdroid.com/index.php?title=Addsoftware

Laughingstok
2010-12-05, 20:34
Should it be taking a long time to format /dev/mmcblk1p2 when running the installer?

jerryfreak
2010-12-05, 21:05
i read thru the first post and the wiki and a lot of this thread but i have a couple noob questions that id like to confirm before proceeding. im not really up to speed on multibooting, i have used titan kernel in the past but only as my primary kernel

1. so, emmc installation installs it into the 2gb apps portion of the emmc. how crowded does it make it. would you advise flashing with 5gb/24gb emmc image first?

2. am i correct in assuming if im comfortable with instal onto stock 2gb partition, there is no reflashing and i dont lose current maemo build

3. whats the skinny on titans kernel 46. i notice a lot of people running it as multiboot, where before i just ran them as primary kernel. can someone summarize advantages of multiboot approach and/or link me to the most current thread about multiboot and titans kernel. i know there are several ways to multiboot, which is hte best

4. ever since i OTA updated to 1.3 my device has had some really slow issues that require reboot. i installed power40 kernel shortly after 1.3 to get overclocking back, but at one point i had to remove my battery for an extended period when i was afraid my phone got damp. upon reapplying power i got a 'custom kernel settings not loaded' msg, although overclocking still works and conky reports2.6.28.10power40.

im not afraid to reflash if it will give me a clean slate with access to kernel 46. while it is a bit of a bummer to reinstall everything i would do it if it would speed up the device. whats the best backup utility for apps and settings right now.

sorry for all the questions, its not that im afraid to read the forums, its just that things change so fast and often there are several routes to do the same thing, some which may be better suited to the combination i am trying to achieve

**UPDATE: after doing some more research i decided kernelpower v 42 was more my speed and so i updated thru extras testing. it *seems* faster. (clocked to 850, listening to music with multiple windows open. device is responsive, no audio stuttering.) could just be the result of a fresh boot). so thats where im at right now. im still kinda droid-curious if anyone wants to offer advice.**

and whats up with meego? even worth playing with yet?

Laughingstok
2010-12-05, 21:38
Should it be taking a long time to format /dev/mmcblk1p2 when running the installer?

Disregard. I found if you have a large SD card you have to manually format it before using the auto-installer

Ali
2010-12-06, 01:13
hi guys,

this message i am typing within fast opera mini browser in Nitdroid and have some questions hoping someone is willing to answer it,

how to enable accelerometer for asphalt cause mine is not working for that game and in the list of apps it says it does work so how?

i have installed flash 10.1 and wanted to test it but the default browser of nitdroid is mobile version

iwanted to know how to change the useragent in that browser so i could watch youtubevideos at least??? i have search all over the internet but couldnt find a answer for that.

Antivirus? is that neccessary in nitdroid cause i have one installed and seems to work but was wondering if its neccessary??

how to change bootvideo??

again very much thanks for this Nitdroid!!!! its SUPERB!!!

slender
2010-12-06, 01:17
@ali
use nitdroid froums.There is probably info regarding that.

bulelet
2010-12-06, 01:46
i wanna try this again.

just wanna know if im following this instruction: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=139, do i have to install the nitdroid installer too? or just do the steps on that post?

clovis86
2010-12-06, 02:13
link not working

bulelet
2010-12-06, 05:43
i only have nitdroid on multiboot and pressing the key 0 (number 0) guru meditation error also appears.

i cant boot to maemo.

can anyone here help me boot to maemo?
i need to use my phone

wow. this is making me mad.
can somebody help me boot to maemo?
i keep pressing 0 key (number 0) but phone is still not booting to maemo

jerryfreak
2010-12-06, 07:48
hey i have installed nit-droid installer and when i run it it hangs on

formatting /dev/mmcblk1p2 (ext3)...

when i look up this error it tells me that the 0.2.6 package is broken and this is a common hang.

BUT that error message is reported in posts from august. I have the 0.2.6-3 version of the installer, just grabbed it today (presumably from extras-devel). do i need a different version?

anapospastos
2010-12-06, 07:55
hey i have installed nit-droid installer and when i run it it hangs on

formatting /dev/mmcblk1p2 (ext3)...

when i look up this error it tells me that the 0.2.6 package is broken and this is a common hang.

BUT that error message is reported in posts from august. I have the 0.2.6-3 version of the installer, just grabbed it today (presumably from extras-devel). do i need a different version?

Update to 0.2.7, it is in the first post. Just throw the .deb file to N900 and tap on it.

dotnixau
2010-12-06, 08:47
@ammyt,
when i press 2,it shows like this,
cant flash kernel,requied files not found.

jerryfreak
2010-12-06, 09:20
for the record, im pretty pissed that this wiped my sd card when i was attempting to install to emmc.

i cant even get to those files with low-level disc recovery.

a warning to the masses

dekin
2010-12-06, 09:32
i only have nitdroid on multiboot and pressing the key 0 (number 0) guru meditation error also appears.

i cant boot to maemo.

can anyone here help me boot to maemo?
i need to use my phone

wow. this is making me mad.
can somebody help me boot to maemo?
i keep pressing 0 key (number 0) but phone is still not booting to maemo

lol same thing with me. i guess we both are the only ones having this problem. i have already given up running nitdroid on my N900. probably not meant for me :D

kylepsp
2010-12-06, 09:34
I applied the market fix but now everytime I try to start it I get the an error occurred message, any ideas?

clovis86
2010-12-06, 09:56
lol same thing with me. i guess we both are the only ones having this problem. i have already given up running nitdroid on my N900. probably not meant for me :D

on multiboot, you just have to press 0 ( zero ) to boot to stock kernel on maemo

dekin
2010-12-06, 09:57
on multiboot, you just have to press 0 ( zero ) to boot to stock kernel on maemo
pressing zero(0) this gives the same error as it has already been said above

clovis86
2010-12-06, 10:29
really weird :(

mido.fayad
2010-12-06, 15:20
this is patch for everything on nitdroid such as accelemotor , fakegps etc

install this file
http://www.mediafire.com/?2jdq9bwbdpcqt8j

put it in the following directory

/home/user/MyDocs

then open terminal and write the following :

root

mount /dev/mmcblk0p5 /and if u installed nitdroid on mmcblk0p5

cd /and
tar xvf /home/user/MyDocs/patch-0.0.8-mido.fayad.tar

dhanurdhar
2010-12-06, 20:08
Yes u can, but you'll have to follow the manual installation guide found at the technical forums, and i can supply u with the files needed.

ammyt, pretty sure this mite have been answered before but-
do u recommend using a memory card for nitdroid or is the internal memory fine as you have posted for both.. got some important files on the phone though every thing is backed up

thanks

clovis86
2010-12-06, 20:10
performances are better with emmc

bulelet
2010-12-06, 20:23

install this file

/home/user/MyDocs

root

cd /and

Can you specify more on what this does?

coderedcomputing
2010-12-06, 20:49
This should seriously be stickied, the how-to is great, and even for folks with *nix experience, just the basic cp to where etc made is a breeze. All the fixes = win.

It is just to much fun when people walk by my desk and ask what type of Android phone I have and is it new, then reboot it (omfg another OS wtf?) and their jaw just drops. so much win.

HammY
2010-12-06, 21:10

install this file

/home/user/MyDocs

root

cd /and

Hi,

I originally had NITDROID installed on MMC (/dev/mmcblk1p2)
Now after copying it the EMMC (as on page 1) where should I run this ?

I tried: mount /dev/mmcblk0p5 /and
...but no joy :(

Do I still need to mount a drive ?

TIA
--
HammY

ceroberts75
2010-12-06, 21:24
just like before...i get a battery issue. it loads and then the red led flashes and then shows the battery is dead...even on a new battery, then shuts down.

:/

any ideas?

anything on this yet?

Laughingstok
2010-12-06, 21:58
Hi,

TIA
--
HammY

mount /dev/mmcblk1p2 /and

HammY
2010-12-06, 22:00
Hi,

TIA
--
HammY

ah ! found that: mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /and
works for me :)
... thanks to "bob0smith"'s earlier post

--
HammY

Laughingstok
2010-12-06, 22:02

install this file

/home/user/MyDocs

root

cd /and

After this I don't appear to have any sound.

dhanurdhar
2010-12-06, 22:09
just wanted to confirm. my N900 IS NOT overclocked
the wiki thread attached is for overclocked phones with power kernal.. can i run it with the default kernal

thanks a lot ;)

Laughingstok
2010-12-06, 22:26
Disregard, sound is working.

Marcus
2010-12-06, 22:37
Installed it on the EMMC, but for some reason it feels like it's overheating and using more battery than Maemo. Most likely because it's still at an early stage.

rmarcus
2010-12-06, 22:38
Ok guys...simple question please.
I have been reading as lot of posts here, I couldn't find if Nitdroid is really making calls. Can you actually have a phone call?

:confused:

peynaud
2010-12-06, 22:45
Ok guys...simple question please.
I have been reading as lot of posts here, I couldn't find if Nitdroid is really making calls. Can you actually have a phone call?

:confused:

No, you can't. you can call, and it makes the connection but you can't talk or hear anything.

so no, you can't make a phone call conversation or an sms .

Ali
2010-12-06, 22:58
hi guys

do i have to umount and as well after put the fix patches in and?

cause i tried but says ivalid argument??

ps and if i do have to umount whats the command?? what do i type?
and does these patches has the fix for flash 10 final also???
if not can someone help with that?PLEASEEEE:D:D

thanks in advance

Ali
2010-12-06, 23:52
anyone? please replyyy?

mido.fayad
2010-12-07, 03:24
Hi,

TIA
--
HammY

as u installed it on /home you should change mmcblk0p5 to mmcblk0p2

yopyop123
2010-12-07, 03:30
Hello
I have a problem : " umount /and " doesn't run, It say
" umount : cannot umount /and : Device or resource busy "