PDA

View Full Version : The EPIC N9 anticipation thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

viic
2011-06-13, 12:17
but where is k123? i hope nokia didn't uncovered him and now he isn't imprisoned somewhere under torture

zlatokosi
2011-06-13, 12:17
Well, according the the teaser video and the "actual" photos of the Lankku test device I have seen, the icons and its layout looks the same as that pic. There is no fancy customization in Harmattan used in Lankku according to K123. I doubt it would change drastically now.

Jaki, you say the icons and the layout are the same as on that pic; could you confirm that at least on Nokia's layout the icon rows and columns are centered and aligned (as opposed to the picture where they aren't)?

Thanks!

NvyUs
2011-06-13, 12:25
watch the video you can see there

jakiman
2011-06-13, 12:26
Jaki, you say the icons and the layout are the same as on that pic; could you confirm that at least on Nokia's layout the icon rows and columns are centered and aligned (as opposed to the picture where they aren't)?

Yes. it is aligned properly and centered. That pic by nikrohr isn't to scale or anything like that. In the real thing, the icon size is also slightly bigger than that shown in the mockup picture. It also shows the time on the top right side of the notification bar. Left side of the top bar shows the batter, signal strength, connection type etc. (but little things like this can easily change for the final product)

Donbabbeo
2011-06-13, 13:15
i am sure that you will be able to buy the „Lankku“, but it seems like „Dali“ will not be sold . as Nokia stated there will be just one meego device this year.

Ehm, my mistake, i mean the opposite, i want to buy Dali and not Lankku.

Koajwujwer123
2011-06-13, 13:25
but where is k123? i hope nokia didn't uncovered him and now he isn't imprisoned somewhere under torture

me here. little careful now that all :)

xxMurdakillxx
2011-06-13, 14:00
How much could the hardware have changed since you touched the device. Do you feel like you had an early prototype or a final product, it seems the devices are different that some of you gave looked at. Im wondering if they changed alot of the guts but the user interface was similar on the different devices, yet the final product could be sicker then we think by time we see final product. What do you think?

viic
2011-06-13, 14:55
thankfully, I was worried: D

Faustino
2011-06-13, 16:01
The N9 has been cancelled :(

Kamsiinov
2011-06-13, 16:02

Probably in your dreams.

Faustino
2011-06-13, 16:15
Was chatting to a certain former Nokia/MeeGo employee on facebook.. lets just call him Mr T... anyways, he said "i'd be surprised if it ever goes ahead"

cfh11
2011-06-13, 16:20
Was chatting to a certain former Nokia/MeeGo employee on facebook.. lets just call him Mr T... anyways, he said "i'd be surprised if it ever goes ahead"

emphasis added to put this comment in the correct context.

zymo
2011-06-13, 16:20

we know for a quite long time now that the „N9“ has been cancelled :D with N9 i mean „Dali“ :D probably your source meant dali.

Dave999
2011-06-13, 16:21
Mr T...prepare to be suprised

Faustino
2011-06-13, 16:24

Who is still good friends with Mr Elop by the way.. if he says it's doubtful.. then that's probably your answer... :(

blackbox
2011-06-13, 16:26
I was hoping that would be true until the CTO's departure last week and if you look at the schedule for the event taking place on the 21st, you will see that the focus is on the new ecosystem, which we all know will be FLOP ELOP's WP7 strategy so Im just a little worried that we might not really see any Harmattan device at all. Remember, it was the CTO, not FLOP, who said that there will be only one Meego device released this year. Now that he is gone, what credibility does that leave us with???

I hope I am sooo wrong!!!!!

Dave999
2011-06-13, 16:30
Cancelled or not. Nokia is dead without a keyboard version. I Will soon launch My one man campaign to bring Nokia to the ground. I guess That this announcement Will force Nokia to rethink their position.

xxMurdakillxx
2011-06-13, 16:30
Wow, that would blow balls but hell we haven't seen anything from Nokia.

tissot
2011-06-13, 16:38
Who is still good friends with Mr Elop by the way.. if he says it's doubtful.. then that's probably your answer... :(

My friend is a good friend with former Nokia exec, Vanjoki. My brother also goes fishing every weekend with Elop and both say that there will be 3 MeeGo devices. Dev device will be given to every member in this forum joined before last week.

True story.

cfh11
2011-06-13, 16:38

you are going to have to do better than that sir. i find it very hard to believe that you were chatting on facebook with an ex-nokian who is good friends with elop.

blackbox
2011-06-13, 16:43
My friend is a good friend with former Nokia exec, Vanjoki. My brother also goes fishing every weekend with Elop and both say that there will be 3 MeeGo devices. Dev device will be given to every member in this forum joined before last week.

True story.

Come on Tissot! I would like to believe you but how will that work?

mikecomputing
2011-06-13, 17:02
So what will people actually do if the device is not released in a few weeks?

Personally I think we need a straight ****ing answer from the Nokia especially now when the person who said there will be a Meego device this year has left the building...

I think because of big problem to selling Symbian (Some reasons because of MrFlop) phones they may stop the plan to release it they already have a big warehouse full of Symbian phones so why introduce just another one with and OS than no one knows about except this forum?

I hope I am wrong but.... I have a feeling we will get VERY dissapointed in a few weeks...

Infact I dont see ANY reason for them to release it except if they really are 1000% sure they sell well.

Maybe the plan WAS to release but now it seems questionable.

Kozzi
2011-06-13, 17:11

Well I'm waiting for #5555 post and #6000 after that...

Dave999
2011-06-13, 17:13
Why do you think he left the building. What he Said was not true anymore...

shmerl
2011-06-13, 17:21
People will use N900, and wait until some vendor will produce a Meego compatible handset? If Nokia is really going to screw everyone's expectations this last time, it'll be bad for their image. But I guess Elop doesn't care about it. He already did it before.

mikecomputing
2011-06-13, 17:21
Why do you think he left the building. What he Said was not true anymore...

What is not true?

Btw. I meant CTO

mikecomputing
2011-06-13, 17:28
People will use N900, and wait until some vendor will produce a Meego compatible handset? If Nokia is really going to screw everyone's expectations this last time, it'll be bad for their image. But I guess Elop doesn't care about it. He already did it before.

LOL how many N900 users do you think is using it nowdays and wait for the new device?

My guess is bad image for some N900 users doesn't count.

Many has leaved already going to Android, IOS or WebOS.

I guess not many is even knowing Nokia actually planed to release a Meego(tablet/handset)

Most people already think "Nokia means WP7" And as we already has seen in this thread many here seems to like Wp7 anyway...

And btw. I doubt there will be any other handsetmaker running Meego it still is to risky for them. They have theyr Androids.

Personally I am so sick and tired of waiting so if there is not announce something end of July (around six weeks) I take it as Meego is really dead inside Nokia.

So I will go for an XperiaPro or Samsung GS2 and hope community efforts make it possible to run some Open Meego on it...

Dave999
2011-06-13, 17:31
What is not true?

Btw. I meant CTO

Elvis......

igguk1
2011-06-13, 17:49

True story.

You will have to backup your words :D, so I am getting Dev device for free :rolleyes:?

Faustino
2011-06-13, 17:58
you are going to have to do better than that sir. i find it very hard to believe that you were chatting on facebook with an ex-nokian who is good friends with elop.

Well.. believe it or not, i am "friends" with a few people at the top of Nokia.. "on facebook".. Elop being one of them (he never uses it.. but his wife actively uses her profile..)

Mr T who i spoke to earlier didn't seem too hopeful that there would be a device... i'm only mentioning what was said. I'm as disappointed as the next person about this...

mikecomputing
2011-06-13, 18:06
Well.. believe it or not, i am "friends" with a few people at the top of Nokia.. "on facebook".. Elop being one of them (he never uses it.. but his wife actively uses her profile..)

Mr T who i spoke to earlier didn't seem too hopeful that there would be a device... i'm only mentioning what was said. I'm as disappointed as the next person about this...

Facebook LMAO :-D

I guess we all should be friend with MrFlop and tell him what we think about his new so called "ecosystem"

Dave999
2011-06-13, 18:09
it might be true that nokia using facebook as internal communication tool. That would explain why they are working so slow and never release any products.

IsaacDFP
2011-06-13, 18:12
I heard Nokia was present at the Bilderberg meeting this weekend... But don't ask how I heard that :P

Reflektorfalke
2011-06-13, 18:12

And whats his wife's name?

mikecomputing
2011-06-13, 18:15
YEHA no I am also Mr Flops friend at facebook, he said he will give us all a free Wp7 phone if we stop bashing about Meego and start make apps for WP7 instead.

Faustino
2011-06-13, 18:17
And whats his wife's name?

Nancy......

Faustino
2011-06-13, 18:18
Nancy......

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/186633_630223901_5117020_n.jpg

Reflektorfalke
2011-06-13, 18:26
Nancy......

Thanks for the pic, found this myself, but thought it is his mother :cool:

cfh11
2011-06-13, 18:49
why does your english suck?

maybe because english is not his first language, like many on this site. why do your manners suck?

Faustino
2011-06-13, 19:13

I thought so too at first.. i actually thought he was gay after the first few interviews i saw.. he's very camp

Kozzi
2011-06-13, 19:15

This is how N9 died.

LTman
2011-06-13, 19:17
i dont think we will see devices that boot more than one os by default hit the mass market because double or triple the os means double or triple the trouble for the company because then they have to support two os'es but they could sell the device with one os (and therefor the company is responsible for only one) then put instruction online to install other os

martin-357
2011-06-13, 19:38
i dont think we will see devices that boot more than one os by default hit the mass market because double or triple the os means double or triple the trouble for the company because then they have to support two os'es but they could sell the device with one os (and therefor the company is responsible for only one) then put instruction online to install other os

The Fujitsu F-07C boots Windows 7 and Symbian. It's a Japan-only release.

BigBadGuber!
2011-06-13, 21:25
It is irrelevant.
He likes that way.
The relevant thing is that this kind of statement can get you banned. :D

I know. Euro Police state on this Maemo Board. Just got a warning and 20 points.

My impression is that most Scandinavians speak English well, and this guy claims he knows a lot about a product that is to be unveiled, and I am surprised someone at NOKIA would be hired without speaking good English. Hence, my sentence was not a personal attack, but doubting him as a source of anything.

morfeas
2011-06-13, 21:26
The Fujitsu F-07C boots Windows 7 and Symbian. It's a Japan-only release.

off topic on
it has wrong placed thumb stick. it is for left-handed!
off topic off

kolos
2011-06-13, 21:36
I know. Euro Police state on this Maemo Board. Just got a warning and 20 points.

My impression is that most Scandinavians speak English well, and this guy claims he knows a lot about a product that is to be unveiled, and I am surprised someone at NOKIA would be hired without speaking good English. Hence, my sentence was not a personal attack, but doubting him as a source of anything.

Maybe he intentionally speaks like that.

HaugMedia
2011-06-13, 21:48
https://twitter.com/#!/_Nexus/status/80111535082569728

momcilo
2011-06-13, 21:59

You are taking too seriously his language style. I think it is meant as joke. In my opinion it gives funny aroma to his statements.

In any case, since all the major topics were spent within this thread, we can either wait for a new piece of information or official announcement, and post more or less useful thoughts.

olympus
2011-06-13, 22:00
Well it seems that there really is something going on (i'm talking about the nokia event) because i doubt that so many people would be talking about it just to fool us :)

momcilo
2011-06-13, 22:03
Well it seems that there really is something going on (i'm talking about the nokia event) because i doubt that so many people would be talking about it just to fool us :)

You are maybe correct on that, there is certain silence from people providing pieces of information compared to the last week(s).

Faustino
2011-06-13, 22:03

Yeah... the first Windows Phone device :rolleyes:

catbus
2011-06-13, 22:11
Maybe he intentionally speaks like that.

Maybe he was purposely circulated Scandinavian reply via google translate, and even many times, using between different languages ​​... As even this answer is written ... This was the proposals earlier in the chain ...

N9Us
2011-06-13, 22:11
https://twitter.com/#!/_Nexus/status/80111535082569728

It means we have not much time to get to 8888 posts :D

kolos
2011-06-13, 22:17
It means we have not much time to get to 8888 posts :D

Let's try to reach at least 5888 posts. ;)

kolos
2011-06-13, 22:24
Koajwujwer123, why did you delete your post #5069?
I know what you wrote. :p

mikecomputing
2011-06-13, 22:33
There is an Qt event on thursday. thats what they probadly mean...

mikecomputing
2011-06-13, 22:41
remember this Elop is Evil. He has payed alot of twitter, facebook and linkelid people to make us Still hope there comes a New Meego device! But it will not be released. so Then he hope we get so desperate so we buy an WP7 innstead...

ajalkane
2011-06-13, 22:41
"Not sure we’re allowed to post about this yet :p

I was meant to go on this but stuck in Manchester with other appointments. Serg will let you guys know what he’s up to soon!

It’s ‘BIG’ dot dot dot"

http://mynokiablog.com/tips/

olympus
2011-06-13, 22:56
well i like the silence so far, it makes me feel like something big is coming.

catbus
2011-06-13, 23:02
well i like the silence so far, it makes me feel like something big is coming.

...or more silence, until there is only silence ... I admit, I'm a pessimist. :cool:

jakiman
2011-06-13, 23:14
Hmm. I wonder what it is...... It better not be some new OVI Store website design announcement or something.

RiD
2011-06-13, 23:28
I don't really like the silence, I feel 2012 is coming earlier then expected.

seasharkvvv
2011-06-13, 23:47
hi, i've not really been following the thread.

not to upset any people here who work at nokia and are possibly running around whichever country sorting this phone out. But, will this bad boy n950 or n9 kill the samsung s2 in terms of not being like a mainstream phone because of the os?

i do hope this n950 will be like that black image scrolling around with the two types of keyboard, right now, despite not customizing my n900 much these are the things i anticipate buying the n950 over the samsung galaxy s2

1. a desktop dock which doesnt require an ugly lead so something nice and smooth
2. a super fast processor 1.2Ghz+ dual core
3.battery 1600mhz+ as standard, 1800mhz upgrade without ugly larger backplate
4.meego to be as hackable as maemo with debian
5.super amoled, damn nice display
6.800x480 would be ok, but not the resolution of the e7, please no
7. weight. just make it lighter than iphone 4 so <138 grams or so.
8. some kind of gorilla glass would be quite nice but not essential i guess
9.im a little unsure if is it necessary but firefox syncing of bookmarks should also make its way to the meego device. i imagine when 4g arrives in the uk this would set android and iphones away from meego purely for this reason. is maemo5 backwards compatible in that sense to maemo5?

at the end of the day imo alot of phones will kill off iphone because they'll never have a removeable battery
that teaser video just looks like the e7, im still a bit confused about this phone as id really like the double keyboard,
atm with my n900 i love flicking it open and being able to do things really quickly and its a shame capactive screens are making smartphones that little less practical. But with a double keyboard concept, this would be nice. Ive come from a htc hd2 having hard keys for answering ending calls and capacitive, and it didnt really work, so im all for key layout in the samsung galaxy s2 atm :D

the samsung g2s has broken iphone4 sale records here in the uk. im not sure if its in the states yet but from what i expect of nokia. they should be blowing everything out of the water. symbian anna will not do for me. no firefox . enough said

jakiman
2011-06-13, 23:53
1. a desktop dock which doesnt require an ugly lead so something nice and smooth

1. I would like this too.
2. All we can do is pray that it uses STE U8500 SoC (dual core A9)
3. I highly doubt this. Test Lankku device had non-user replaceable battery. (like N8/E7)
4. It probably will be if good devs pick it up. (I want overclocking regardless of CPU. lol)
5. It might be CBD AMOLED. (which is equivalent to SAMOLED - but not the Plus)
6. We already know it is WVGA. Well, the test Lankku device was anyways.
7. Without the keyboard, that should be possible.
8. If it does have extra "feedback" layer which has been flying about, it probably won't be. But hopefully be just as durable.

seasharkvvv
2011-06-14, 00:03
thanks. i just edited my original a little with need for firefox .
cant believe theyre scrapping removeable batteries .
with my n900 atm life is a breeze with a wall charger for batt and i just swap them over :(

again practicality wise sa sung s2 gets points for its pc destop suite where u can send texts and stuff. i dont know. if the cradle is goodenough and pc suite smooth then maybe i could overlook the non removeable battery. having said that alot of users for development purposes will use the fne directly in linux/meego

sent from my n900

xxMurdakillxx
2011-06-14, 00:41
hi, i've not really been following the thread.

not to upset any people here who work at nokia and are possibly running around whichever country sorting this phone out. But, will this bad boy n950 or n9 kill the samsung s2 in terms of not being like a mainstream phone because of the os?

i do hope this n950 will be like that black image scrolling around with the two types of keyboard, right now, despite not customizing my n900 much these are the things i anticipate buying the n950 over the samsung galaxy s2

9.im a little unsure if is it necessary but firefox syncing of bookmarks should also make its way to the meego device. i imagine when 4g arrives in the uk this would set android and iphones away from meego purely for this reason. is maemo5 backwards compatible in that sense to maemo5?

at the end of the day imo alot of phones will kill off iphone because they'll never have a removeable battery
that teaser video just looks like the e7, im still a bit confused about this phone as id really like the double keyboard,
atm with my n900 i love flicking it open and being able to do things really quickly and its a shame capactive screens are making smartphones that little less practical. But with a double keyboard concept, this would be nice. Ive come from a htc hd2 having hard keys for answering ending calls and capacitive, and it didnt really work, so im all for key layout in the samsung galaxy s2 atm :D

the samsung g2s has broken iphone4 sale records here in the uk. im not sure if its in the states yet but from what i expect of nokia. they should be blowing everything out of the water. symbian anna will not do for me. no firefox . enough said

I agree with this post so much. Took the words right out my mouth and this is what everyone will be comparing it too.

jo21
2011-06-14, 02:40
i already give up hope i am not liking what i heard.
no hardware keyboard and 8mpx.

for that i rather get a samsung galaxy SII, actually already saving my pennies.

n9/n950 wont have either third party companies or nokia support, support mainly by the comunity but we may not even get good stuff like swype or tweetdeck. or popular Whatsapp.

sadly maemo 5/meego had much potential, but waste by new CEO, will on the route to kick nokia out smartphone relevance.

smartypants
2011-06-14, 05:06
maybe we can put tweaked maemo on it with tri boot android and meego :)

kanishou
2011-06-14, 06:31
Don't be so gloomy, this is just the quiet before the storm.

Jaffa
2011-06-14, 07:03
Not sure we’re allowed to post about this yet :p

I was meant to go on this but stuck in Manchester with other appointments. Serg will let you guys know what he’s up to soon!

It’s ‘BIG’ dot dot dot

http://mynokiablog.com/tips/comment-page-34/#comment-101209

Things the Nokia blogs tend to think of as "BIG..." which I don't care about:

Symbian Anna availability
New S40 devices
New Symbian^3 devices
Symbian advocacy programmes (e.g. PUSH N8)
Windows Phone launch

The Harmattan launch would be great, but I'd hope some members of the community would be invited if it was happening soon (like we were to the N900 launch). I wonder what the Council's availability is next week ;-)

Koajwujwer123
2011-06-14, 07:11
afaik blog people not there for meego phone. it promo i think. same going on in many countries.

zehjotkah
2011-06-14, 07:11
4) our ability to realize a return on our investment in MeeGo and next generation devices, platforms and user experiences;

source: http://press.nokia.com/2011/06/14/nokia-enters-into-patent-license-agreement-with-apple/?sf1631652=1

#justsayin

ajalkane
2011-06-14, 07:25
Things the Nokia blogs tend to think of as "BIG..." which I don't care about:

Yes. But what caught my attention was "dot dot dot", as it seemed to hint quite heavily to certain teaser.

Of course I'll probably be disappointed once again and it's some magnificent demonstration of new 'exciting' features of Anna update. Or even worse, some generic blathering of the Windows Phone ecosystem.

Jaffa
2011-06-14, 07:27
Yes. But what caught my attention was "dot dot dot", as it seemed to hint quite heavily to certain teaser.

Really? Can you explain why, as I didn't get that at all?

zehjotkah
2011-06-14, 07:28

at the end of the leaked teaser you see three dots/clean app icons

ajalkane
2011-06-14, 07:29

In the teaser there are those three pulsing blue dots (in the end I think).

Jaffa
2011-06-14, 07:36
at the end of the leaked teaser you see three dots/clean app icons

Over the "our next sense"?

I'm not sure if reading a comment ending with "'dot' 'dot' 'dot'" from a blogger about an event he's not supposed to talk about, and linking that to a graphical twiddle on the end of an unofficial "teaser" is desperate or genius.

Probably both.

I could also point out that if 'dot' 'dot' 'dot' was a regexp, it'd match 'W' 'P' '7' :-p

Jaffa
2011-06-14, 07:38
here it comes

Now you're just getting desperate.

mece
2011-06-14, 07:41
Now you're just getting desperate.

Your logic and reason is not welcome in this thread so quit trolling!

sarcasm

Pillum
2011-06-14, 07:57
im just the janitor, cleaning here a bit

ajalkane
2011-06-14, 08:02
I'm not sure if reading a comment ending with "'dot' 'dot' 'dot'" from a blogger about an event he's not supposed to talk about, and linking that to a graphical twiddle on the end of an unofficial "teaser" is desperate or genius.

I'm sure it's desperation. I have good reasons to believe that also:

A couple of days ago I had a dream, in which I had gotten the Harmattan/Meego device. Quite exciting. It was a pretty cool phone, you guys are in for a treat if my dream was accurate.

Soppa
2011-06-14, 08:36

In this case Mr. T. is a fool!

bequezox
2011-06-14, 08:39

I pity the fool!!

Donbabbeo
2011-06-14, 09:00

I would be a little worried to call him fool...
http://www.games.it/pictures/20090428/mrt15.jpeg

Brock
2011-06-14, 09:04
from twitter:

@_Nexus Sergejs
So here's the big reveal... Nokia is attempting world's largest stop motion animation, all shot on Nokia #N8 :) http://pi.pe/-edwwnp

:(((((

i dont hope that this is all... :(((

Jaffa
2011-06-14, 09:19
from twitter:

So here's the big reveal... Nokia is attempting world's largest stop motion animation, all shot on Nokia #N8 :) http://pi.pe/-edwwnp

That sounds exactly like the kind of thing that Nokia would invite all the UK bloggers to. See earlier (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1028677&postcount=5086).

Nokia is a big company, fixating on every single upcoming event they're involved in and saying "is this it?!" will get you breathless and disappointed.

Similar logic can be applied to the June 21st "Nokia Connections" (http://mynokiablog.com/2011/05/30/nokia-event-june-21-nokia-windows-phone-elop-updates-on-new-ecosystem-and-new-productservice-launches/) event:

"an update on the company’s partnership with Microsoft, and the resulting new ecosystem"
"What will the new Ecosystem mean for Nokia and what are the global plans for developers and apps?"
"Mary will cover Nokia’s strategy around Mobile Phones"

Much has been made of "the global launch of brand new mobile devices". However, this is part of Mary McDowell's section. She's is in charge of mobile phones, which means S40. The event is book-ended by talking about Windows Phone and the "new ecosystem".

In other words, all of the June 21st event is based around Nokia's new strategy of:

low-end S40 for global, accessible devices, including in developing markets.
high-end Windows Phone devices

Doing anything Harmattan related would distract from the simplified story being pitched. In fact, the whole tone of the agenda suggests that Windows Phone may be sooner than we were expecting :-(

zymo
2011-06-14, 09:40
from twitter:

@_Nexus Sergejs

all buzz just about a „stop motion movie“??!!?? no, they must be kidding!? damn, i hope june 21 isn’t going to be a big disappointment too. :(

EvilSpeaks
2011-06-14, 10:09
That sounds exactly like the kind of thing that Nokia would invite all the UK bloggers to. See earlier (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1028677&postcount=5086).

Nokia is a big company, fixating on every single upcoming event they're involved in and saying "is this it?!" will get you breathless and disappointed.

Similar logic can be applied to the June 21st "Nokia Connections" (http://mynokiablog.com/2011/05/30/nokia-event-june-21-nokia-windows-phone-elop-updates-on-new-ecosystem-and-new-productservice-launches/) event:

"an update on the company’s partnership with Microsoft, and the resulting new ecosystem"
"What will the new Ecosystem mean for Nokia and what are the global plans for developers and apps?"
"Mary will cover Nokia’s strategy around Mobile Phones"

Much has been made of "the global launch of brand new mobile devices". However, this is part of Mary McDowell is in charge of mobile phones - that means S40. The event is book-ended by talking about Windows Phone.

In other words, all of the June 21st event is based around Nokia's new strategy of:

low-end S40 for global, accessible devices, including in developing markets.
high-end Windows Phone devices

Doing anything Harmattan related would distract from the simplified story being pitched. In fact, the whole tone of the agenda suggests that Windows Phone may be sooner than we were expecting :-(

You may well be right reguardinfg the s40 phones :(

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/06/14/22878/

jakiman
2011-06-14, 10:19
June 21
- Elop announces that Nokia will release a WP7 phone in November.
- He pulls out the mysterious device from D9 running WP7 Mango.
- Meego device is nowhere to be seen and ends with a movie outro.
- We all watch the "world's largest stop motion animation" in tears.

I have special abilities to see the future btw. Don't thank me though.

Faustino
2011-06-14, 10:42
source: http://press.nokia.com/2011/06/14/nokia-enters-into-patent-license-agreement-with-apple/?sf1631652=1

#justsayin

To me that line about MeeGo means that they won't be putting any more investment into it.. and that they are looking in some way to make some money from what they've put in so far?

It dosn't mean that they play to release a device... :(

The last two days have been very depressing as far goes the N9

kanishou
2011-06-14, 10:50
Rumours of our death... etc. Honestly, nothing has changed. Stay tuned!!

mikecomputing
2011-06-14, 10:54
from twitter:

@_Nexus Sergejs

LOL, well, we got ****ed AGAIN!!! What do we expect! this will never EVER end!!!

mikecomputing
2011-06-14, 10:57
all buzz just about a „stop motion movie“??!!?? no, they must be kidding!? damn, i hope june 21 isn’t going to be a big disappointment too. :(

Lets be realistic, we will be dissapointed!

sjgadsby
2011-06-14, 11:06
Lets be realistic, we will be dissapointed!

Well, now that you have me anticipating disappointment, I'm going to be disappointed if I'm not disappointed.

EvilSpeaks
2011-06-14, 11:08
could this be the new technology in the n9???

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/06/14/graphene-%e2%80%93-strongest-material-ever-tested-nokia%e2%80%99s-future-super-material/

maybe nothing to do with screen feedback...

Koajwujwer123
2011-06-14, 11:14
LOL, well, we got ****ed AGAIN!!! What do we expect! this will never EVER end!!!

I told you it promo. Not about MeeGo phone. Jejeje you need listen more :P

zymo
2011-06-14, 11:19
i get the feeling of: N9= Duke Nukem Forever!

pawel
2011-06-14, 11:22
I told you it promo. Not about MeeGo phone. Jejeje you need listen more :P

So what event should we be waiting for?

Jaffa
2011-06-14, 11:29
I do like this bit from the FCC filing report (which I'm finally reading in full):

This device has Wireless Router “Hotspot” mode capability.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1462108

Should be handy with my wifi iPad 2 :-)

marrat
2011-06-14, 11:37
i get the feeling of: N9= Duke Nukem Forever!

However, DNF has been released last week, finally!

dtergens
2011-06-14, 11:41
Yep, and Duke himself is going to annonce N9 device xD

Edit : Hey, is it an harmattan device ? o_O

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7025/n9501.jpg

aironeous
2011-06-14, 11:56

Meet the maestro S from Evolve III
http://www.evolvethree.com.au/products/maestro-s.html

Pictures
http://www.mobilesider.com/topic/intel-demos-meego-android-dual-boot-and-dual-core

video
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/06/evolve-iii-prices-triple-booting-maestro-s-and-swiveling-maestro/

More video
http://evolvethreefan.blogspot.com/

And here is a guide on how to install meego on your windows 7 device.
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=2637

EIPI
2011-06-14, 12:05
I do like this bit from the FCC filing report (which I'm finally reading in full):

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1462108

Should be handy with my wifi iPad 2 :-)
Yup! Also would have been handy with a Maemo5/6 Tablet :(

zymo
2011-06-14, 12:08
Yep, and Duke himself is going to annonce N9 device xD

Edit : Hey, is it an harmattan device ? o_O

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7025/n9501.jpg

that was rumored to be a screenshot of maemo6/harmattan (1,5 years ago!) But we know that the actual design of the os will look different. especially because Peter Skillman entered the stage at nokia. :D

erendorn
2011-06-14, 12:12
yep but the maestro S is one of the few exceptions where you get multi boot out of the box.
And we are not even talking about phone-sized devices.

dtergens
2011-06-14, 12:13
Yes, I know that, sadly, it was for remember and fun to feed this epic thread :D

ajalkane
2011-06-14, 12:13
Some fuel to the rumours:

Nokia’s sneak peek of ‘new market disputing device’ coming June 21

Nokia is set to take the wraps off its “newest, soon-to-be-named” device, with a live on-site demo of the product and then the live broadcast of Nokia CEO Stephen Elop’s Nokia keynote in Singapore on June 21.

With an event invitation that’s thin on details yet, leaving the mind to conjure up a universe of speculative possibility, Nokia’s June 21 announcement promises a new market disruptor.

Full article:

http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/mobility/47833-nokias-sneak-peek-of-new-market-disputing-device-coming-june-21

Jaffa
2011-06-14, 12:19
[I]Nokia’s sneak peek of ‘new market disputing device’ coming June 21

Methinks they mean "disrupting". Or maybe it will be the MeeGo device because, with Nokia's current strategy, it disputes the need for a market.

nikrohr
2011-06-14, 12:21
http://www.nokiablog.ch/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/lankku4.jpg

latest version....

mscion
2011-06-14, 12:26
Though the FCC listing is interesting, as it gives us a date we can actually see things:

Exhibit Type File Type File Size Description Submission Date Permanent
Confidential Short-Term Confidential Date Available
External Photos Adobe Acrobat PDF 537150 external photos 05/10/2011 No Yes 06/24/2011
Internal Photos Adobe Acrobat PDF 1720041 internal photos 05/10/2011 No Yes 06/24/2011

While there is debate on what device will be made available to consumer, when June 24th arrives, what actual information will be made available concerning the RM-680? Will the actual specs be released?

aikon800
2011-06-14, 12:32
I thought the N9 have curve edges like the E7 & N8, or its a perfect rectangular device ??

shady
2011-06-14, 12:33
everything the FCC tested, including tear down photos, so it will be up to us to decipher some of them chips, but they will visible to us on the 24th ... patience

marrat
2011-06-14, 12:34
While there is debate on what device will be made available to consumer, when June 24th arrives, what actual information will be made available concerning the RM-680? Will the actual specs be released?

"the Applicant hereby requests for 45 days short-term confidential treatment of some of the
information accompanying this application of FCC ID: LJPRM-680 as outlined below:
- Exhibit 3: External photos
- Exhibit 7: Test setup photos
- Exhibit 8: User's manual
- Exhibit 9: Internal photos"

So yes, I would assume specs will be available through the User's Manual then.

dtergens
2011-06-14, 12:35
If a new market disputing device is coming in June 21, then it seems that they are making too much advertising to prevent the event, lol ! it's near as what SJ has made for the first iphone :-)

Rugoz
2011-06-14, 12:43
http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/m...coming-june-21

The article does not cite any sources, guess the market disruption happens only in the journalists brain.

If they already had a market disrupting technology, they would not go back to R&D after release.

jakiman
2011-06-14, 12:44
I thought the N9 have curve edges like the E7 & N8, or its a perfect rectangular device ??

Test Lankku device had near straight-edges unlike the N8/E7.

jalyst
2011-06-14, 12:50
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?

jakiman
2011-06-14, 13:05
Okay. I'm going to sleep now. I hope I wake up tomorrow and it's the 21st.

viic
2011-06-14, 13:16
you need hybernation...and me too xD

sjgadsby
2011-06-14, 13:29
you need hybernation...and me too

Then it may be you've picked the right company to follow (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=26084).

Ah, that's a classic thread.

eMiL
2011-06-14, 13:36
Commenting pace is way to slow now! I'm actually getting work done at work :(

Daneel
2011-06-14, 14:29
Exciting stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe3FG4EOgyU

buchanmilne
2011-06-14, 14:53
I ask why does they need this effort if they are earning so much money with their successful Android Devices?

(Yes, this is a few days late, but I was offline for a few days, and boy does it take a long time to catch up on this thread, and I haven't seen an answer to this one ..)

The same reason you buy HP and Dell (or RHEL and Oracle Linux). . Even though it may require a bit more effort in terms of support, you absolutely can't afford complete vendor lock-in.

Especially when the vendor holds all the cards (e.g. Android).

(Why this doesn't pervade into desktop operating systems, virtualisation platforms etc. in some companies is the real question that keeps me awake at night).

attila77
2011-06-14, 15:19
I wonder what the Council's availability is next week ;-)

http://meegonetwork.fi/events/meego-summer-party (can't say about the others)

mikecomputing
2011-06-14, 15:39
So what event should we be waiting for?

world War 3

Brock
2011-06-14, 15:51

Full article:

http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/mobility/47833-nokias-sneak-peek-of-new-market-disputing-device-coming-june-21

from page 2:

"Whether it’s an upcoming new mind-blowing nPhone or WinPhone, a smoothly slim nPad or WinPad with all the ultra-elegant OS, app and cloud trimmings, or some device that looks to nFinity (or WinFinity?!) and beyond, Nokia has promised a disruptive new device."

summary:

- we will see a new disruptive device, whatever it will be.
- its tech demo only, only questions regarding the technology are allowed
- other questions will be answered at an event late june

doesnt sound so bad to me.

isnt this what we want? a tech demo of the future ("disruption")?

7 days left... time is ticking... very slow...

edit
next week!

mikecomputing
2011-06-14, 16:00

Nokia’s sneak peek of ‘new market disputing device’ coming June 21

Nokia is set to take the wraps off its “newest, soon-to-be-named” device, with a live on-site demo of the product and then the live broadcast of Nokia CEO Stephen Elop’s Nokia keynote in Singapore on June 21.

With an event invitation that’s thin on details yet, leaving the mind to conjure up a universe of speculative possibility, Nokia’s June 21 announcement promises a new market disruptor.

Full article:

"Please note this will be a product demonstration only. "

I again take this that the Harmattan will not be released...

sevla
2011-06-14, 16:10
"Please note this will be a product demonstration only. "

I again take this that the Harmattan will not be released...

you are delusional...

IsaacDFP
2011-06-14, 16:11
http://meegonetwork.fi/events/meego-summer-party (can't say about the others)

What is this... I actually throw summer house parties bigger than this, lol

BigBadGuber!
2011-06-14, 16:30
Disruption already happened with iphone. It integrated so many good things that NOKIA had in pieces here or there into a single, touchscreen friendly device. Harmattan is not disruptive in the least as a technology. I dont see how Harmattan can be called disruptive.

It is an interesting topic though: What would constitute a disruptive device for you?

attila77
2011-06-14, 16:39
What is this... I actually throw summer house parties bigger than this, lol

Yeah, they don't make them saunas as they used to, who doesn't have 30+ people sauna(s) in their house anyway ? :p

Dave999
2011-06-14, 16:42
new day, old question: Why no keyboard?

kanishou
2011-06-14, 16:58
Disruption already happened with iphone. It integrated so many good things that NOKIA had in pieces here or there into a single, touchscreen friendly device. Harmattan is not disruptive in the least as a technology. I dont see how Harmattan can be called disruptive.

It is an interesting topic though: What would constitute a disruptive device for you?

Have you seen Harmattan lately, or how do you arrive at that conclusion?

As for what I consider "disruptive": Anything that makes other players in the field stop and see how they can compete with or incorporate elements of the new product, thus "disrupting" the normal flow of development.

kanishou
2011-06-14, 16:59

Why no dial pad?

BigBadGuber!
2011-06-14, 17:04
Have you seen Harmattan lately, or how do you arrive at that conclusion?

As for what I consider "disruptive": Anything that makes other players in the field stop and see how they can compete with or incorporate elements of the new product, thus "disrupting" the normal flow of development.

The video that I saw is not a disruption. Its just a refinement.

kolos
2011-06-14, 17:26

The same question is because people here want to buy N900 killer, not the iPhone killer. :p

neotalk
2011-06-14, 17:34
If this is the leaked images then it looks very cool indead!

http://meetmeego.org/2011/06/07/so-sieht-nokias-meegoharmattan-gerat-aus/

edit: its not

http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/09/07/design-by-community-the-finished-concept/

misterc
2011-06-14, 18:04
from http://www.cisionwire.com/nokia-oyj-g/r/nokia-enters-into-patent-license-agreement-with-apple,e240208

(the baseline of the article is about a license agreement between NOKIA & Apple that settles patent litigations between the two companies; the bottom line sounds like no matter how much market share NOKIA loses before W devices are ready, the revenues from licenses will make it all right :rolleyes:

then comes a more general "vision" part which mostly says that those W devices are the future to be.

and then...

«[...]
4) our ability to realize a return on our investment in MeeGo and next generation devices, platforms and user experiences
[...]»
(about 1/2 down the page; the rest is as exiting as an auditing report (certainly doesn't compare to the Snapy tube :rolleyes: ) but... sounds like Mr.Elop alright :D

however, maybe MeeGo isn't quite dead yet in Espoo...
or, as someone posted on the Web... Totgesagte leben länger ¦-))))))))))

cfh11
2011-06-14, 18:06
The video that I saw is not a disruption. Its just a refinement.

if the UI is based on gesture controls (as rumored) then it is definitely disruptive

RAZOR
2011-06-14, 18:24
Oh look who's back :O

misterc
2011-06-14, 18:31
Oh look who's back :O

who? :p :eek:

Dave999
2011-06-14, 18:35
who? :p :eek:

Me!!!!!!!!

shmerl
2011-06-14, 18:39
All this Nokia's talk about disruptions tires me already. How much can they talk? Release the Linux device already! I don't care whether it's disruptive or what. I'm just tired to wait for a decent, up to date and open Linux handset. Perfectionism is absurd, when in result you get nothing. Release often, release early.

Dave999
2011-06-14, 18:44
All this Nokia's talk about disruptions tires me already. How much can they talk? Release the Linux device already! I don't care whether it's disruptive or what. I'm just tired to wait for a decent, up to date and open Linux handset.

Let me ease your pain with a few facts about myself!

THE TOP TEN CHUCK NORRIS FACTS:

01 Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

02 Chuck Norris counted to infinity - twice.

03 Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the probability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.

04 If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris you may be only seconds away from death.

05 Chuck Norris sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Chuck roundhouse kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.

06 When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.

07 Chuck Norris built a time machine and went back in time to stop the JFK assassination. As Oswald shot, Chuck Norris met all three bullets with his beard, deflecting them. JFK's head exploded out of sheer amazement.

08 Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life there.

09 They once made a Chuck Norris toilet paper, but it wouldn't take **** from anybody.

10 A blind man once stepped on Chuck Norris' shoe. Chuck replied, "Don't you know who I am? I'm Chuck Norris!" The mere mention of his name cured this man blindness. Sadly the first, last, and only thing this man ever saw, was a fatal roundhouse delivered by Chuck Norris.

True story!

Texrat
2011-06-14, 18:48
What? No Chuck Norris N9 items?

sjgadsby
2011-06-14, 19:03
What? No Chuck Norris N9 items?

Yes, at least a "Chuck Norris has an N9 with a keyboard" would have kept the post somewhat on topic.

erendorn
2011-06-14, 19:04
Seems like even Chuck Norris has to wait for the N9 :/

cfh11
2011-06-14, 19:08
chuck norris once contacted nokia customer care and demanded the new meego 10.0 device with a holographic display, 100 core processor, and mind control. the rep explained that meego 2.0 is still not released, let alone 10.0, and that most of the tech he was talking about doesn't even exist in labs. chuck then sent a picture of himself, crouched and ready to attack, to nokia CEO stephen elop.

needless to say, nokia has been building futuristic custom meego devices for chuck norris ever since.

Soppa
2011-06-14, 19:17
Seems like even Chuck Norris has to wait for the N9 :/

:) Seems so, yes. Although he's running iOS5 on his N900 because he can port it for Maemo even without any source code. Which seems to be much easier than getting even any N9 HW specifications.

zapotek
2011-06-14, 19:19
first one symbian anna sec symbian belle after :confused: chuck :eek:

uppercase
2011-06-14, 19:23
Chuck norris doesn't need nokia to build his hardware. He puts fiberglass. copper and plastic on his palm and go into deep meditation and evrything melts into place. He the writes all the firmware in bytecode using nothing but long and short clicks on the power button.

uppercase
2011-06-14, 19:25
first one symbian anna sec symbian belle after :confused: chuck :eek:

Chuck would never let a symbian into him, he has immunity to parasites.

HaugMedia
2011-06-14, 19:31
Chuck Norris had sex with Anna, together they made Belle.

By the way, I saw a few Windows Phone 7's today, and damn the phones look REALLY SEXY in real life comparing to all the videos I have seen lately! I'm starting to fall in love, but I still need my fix, the Harmattan device.

mscion
2011-06-14, 19:50
Chuck Norris has no business being on this thread. Discussions should be focused on substantive factual material. Not some fantasy...

Wait! No! Please! I didn't mean it....

The Wizard of Huz
2011-06-14, 19:55
Chuck norris is overrated.

Brock
2011-06-14, 19:59
@misterc@Tags

happy to see you back :)

misterc
2011-06-14, 20:06
Me!!!!!!!!

you are not back! :confused:
YOU ARE LATE!!!
you missed posts 4000 & 5000 :rolleyes:
shame on you :cool:

misterc
2011-06-14, 20:19
@misterc@Tags

happy to see you back :)

enjoy it as long as it lasts ;)
i have been getting "news alerts" either about N950 or MeeGo (or both) as often as not linking to post on this thread (well, it's predecessor, that is :eek:
how many threads did we already have in this thread ?!? :D ).
either way, it was mostly vaporware so when i saw that article (the FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS, in fact) i thought it was some trustworthy information worth sharing.
not that it tells us much of anything ¦-)

PS: sorry, i didn't have the courage to go thru the last 2000 or so posts :(
PPS: shame on me :cool:

viic
2011-06-14, 20:48
can i contribute in grow of this topic with useless topic without important news or information?
ooooh i've done it just now. sorry

cfh11
2011-06-14, 20:53
either way, it was mostly vaporware

again, something actually needs to be announced before it can be vaporware

Dave999
2011-06-14, 21:03
good night ladies and gentlemen. I'm going to sleep now. Can we close this thread while I'm away. I don't want to miss all the usefull information in this thread.

viic
2011-06-14, 21:13
dont worry tomorrow you will find one post that contains all the information that we will write while you sleep

Texrat
2011-06-14, 21:21
dont worry tomorrow you will find one post that contains all the information that we will write while you sleep

thanks for volunteering. Second.

:D

Brock
2011-06-14, 21:28
qgil has asked to step down from meego (Community Office co-lead and Co marketing coordinator) :(

but

14:04:25 <qgil_> sure :) I'll concentrate on the bridge between this upcoming Nokia product and the MeeGo community

http://irclogs.meego.com/meetbot/meego-meeting/2011/meego-meeting.2011-06-14-13.56.log.html#l-31

nice :D

viic
2011-06-14, 21:29
oh i can do it now too:
elop is evil
wp7 is sexy
there it will not be any harmanatthan device
why no keybord?
chuck norris can do anythings but cannot leak about N9 because he signs NDA

Brock
2011-06-14, 21:31
chuck norris can do anythings but cannot leak about N9 because he signs NDA

the real chuck norris would leak it just because he signs NDA! :D

BigBadGuber!
2011-06-14, 21:48
Perhaps other have read it, but this is an interesting piece on NOKIA demise from Helsingin Sanomat, a Helsinki newspaper in 4 parts. Makes for a very interesting read:

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Knock+Knock+Nokias+Heavy+Fall/1135260596609

momcilo
2011-06-14, 21:51
the real chuck norris would leak it just because he signs NDA! :D

Chuck Norris gets source without signing NDA

sjgadsby
2011-06-14, 21:54

Good luck with that post. There's a ten character minimum.

momcilo
2011-06-14, 21:58
Perhaps other have read it, but this is an interesting piece on NOKIA demise from Helsingin Sanomat, a Helsinki newspaper in 4 parts. Makes for a very interesting read:

Very well written!

uppercase
2011-06-14, 22:01
Chuck Norris gets source without signing NDA

Right ! Chuck can leak the source and the NDA out of the binary !

qwazix
2011-06-14, 22:29
Chuck Norris doesn't sign NDA's because if he tells you he'll kill you anyway.

N9Us
2011-06-14, 22:44
The only reason why chuck Norris hasn't revealed N9 Specs is because he IS N9 himself!
And that is the reason why you will never own a N9, because no one owns Chuck Norris ;)

rentze
2011-06-14, 22:54
Chuck Norris can convince you to buy a WP7 phone!

mikecomputing
2011-06-14, 23:04
qgil has asked to step down from meego (Community Office co-lead and Co marketing coordinator) :(

but

14:04:25 <qgil_> sure :) I'll concentrate on the bridge between this upcoming Nokia product and the MeeGo community

http://irclogs.meego.com/meetbot/meego-meeting/2011/meego-meeting.2011-06-14-13.56.log.html#l-31

nice :D

Nice? I dont know seems more like Intel is doing everything to freeze out anything coming from Nokia after MrFlop announcement , but also before that, So I guess this also could be a bit of a the reason to step down.

I dont kknow why Intel is so pissed to get contributins I thougt it was open ssource butl it looks more like its going to be an intelonly project at the end and that is no good!

I hope I am wrong but following mailinglist and IRC a bit make me wonder what is going on.

I dont wanna spread FUD just my opinion.

Faustino
2011-06-14, 23:09
Intel needed Nokia more than Nokia needed Moblin.. Maemo was just fine as it was.

If this MeeGo bullplop had never happened, how many Maemo devices would be on the market by now? Serious question by the way..

N9Us
2011-06-14, 23:12
YEAH! Blame MeeGoshit not Elop!

ericsson
2011-06-14, 23:14

This is old, read it ages ago. It is poorly written and boring as well. A piece of crap really.

Faustino
2011-06-14, 23:26
YEAH! Blame MeeGoshit not Elop!

Well MeeGo seems to only have hindered what Maemo had going for it... if i'm wrong i'd like to be shown why..

don't think it was Elops decision to merge with Moblin so you can't really blame him for those failings. He was pretty much forced into choosing WP7 because of the slow progress of MeeGo (which he is also partly to blame for.. but so is everyone else connected with it)

N9Us
2011-06-14, 23:29
Exact my opinion Faustino.

mikecomputing
2011-06-14, 23:32
Intel needed Nokia more than Nokia needed Moblin.. Maemo was just fine as it was.

If this MeeGo bullplop had never happened, how many Maemo devices would be on the market by now? Serious question by the way..

Merge with Meego maybe was a mistake. But at the same time Maemo5 is depecated lots of ugly hacks especially in UI.

so a total rewrite of UI was must.But seems this could be done without Moblin yes but if they had worked together they maybe could have pulled stuff from Maemo -> Meego but it seems this failed from start :( some stuff was not even allowed. And it seems like QtMobility is one example. Meego still has plenty of librarys instead of Qt some work is duplicate because of stupid decisions.

But I guess the merge with Intel was not because of moblin. More because of the "ecosystem" and make it simple to build apps for a "bigger platform" OBS buildsystem etc...

this has pissed of alot of gurus but was at the same time importan. Using scratchbox was a hell of bloated for begginers now we atleast has madde integrated in QtCreator. But still it is a bit tricky. BUT QtCreator has impoved ALOT latest months :)

But on thing to wonder is how much of Maemo Harmattan will be open maybe it will be more closed cause of the "new strategy" I mean take code from harmmattan an push it lback to WP8 instead :(

Faustino
2011-06-14, 23:51
Merge with Meego maybe was a mistake. But at the same time Maemo5 is depecated lots of ugly hacks especially in UI.

so a total rewrite of UI was must.But seems this could be done without Moblin yes but if they had worked together they maybe could have pulled stuff from Maemo -> Meego but it seems this failed from start :( some stuff was not even allowed. And it seems like QtMobility is one example. Meego still has plenty of librarys instead of Qt some work is duplicate because of stupid decisions.

But I guess the merge with Intel was not because of moblin. More because of the "ecosystem" and make it simple to build apps for a "bigger platform" OBS buildsystem etc...

this has pissed of alot of gurus but was at the same time importan. Using scratchbox was a hell of bloated for begginers now we atleast has madde integrated in QtCreator. But still it is a bit tricky. BUT QtCreator has impoved ALOT latest months :)

But on thing to wonder is how much of Maemo Harmattan will be open maybe it will be more closed cause of the "new strategy" I mean take code from harmmattan an push it lback to WP8 instead :(

I like the UI in Maemo 5 though.. it's the most customizable thing i've used.. i've actually reflashed my N900 3 times.. and each time i have a clean slate i have never used the same setup..

Of course things could have been improved.. they would have been... and would have been improved much quicker!

All that really needed to be improved on the N900 was

1) The hardware.. i.e speed.. faster processor/more ram..
2) A more organized and more efficient application manager (possibly less open than what is there currently)
3)Hardware again.. but a bigger better screen would be great.

That and a better UI is all that's needed...

wmarone
2011-06-15, 00:28
Well MeeGo seems to only have hindered what Maemo had going for it... if i'm wrong i'd like to be shown why..
Because Harmattan is essentially an API-compatible version of Maemo. Maemo, as a partially open platform, had a limited future.

Maintaining an entire OS like Maemo was out of scope for Nokia, and it was in their best long-term interest to move the OS itself outside of the company, where lots of development work was happening already. They got Intel in on it, and over time it would have let them contribute to dedicated teams on the core, while reserving their in-house teams for porting work and Nokia-specific customizations (something they desperately needed to focus on.)

In the meantime, they had the inevitable issue of transitioning while not getting stuck, so Harmattan exists between Maemo and MeeGo, with the underpinnings of one and the APIs of the other. All the while, being stymied and stalled by an uncooperative bureaucracy.

He was pretty much forced into choosing WP7 because of the slow progress of MeeGo (which he is also partly to blame for.. but so is everyone else connected with it)
I think "forced" is a bit silly. Well, "forced" by a light breeze into adopting the OS of his former employer...

I don't believe, not for a moment, that Maemo/MeeGo are in any way at fault for Nokia's inability to release a device based on them for the better part of 1.5 years. That screams "internal political failures" much louder than software related issues.

Frappacino
2011-06-15, 00:41

his rumor is as good as anyone's rumor here

Texrat
2011-06-15, 01:01
Nice? I dont know seems more like Intel is doing everything to freeze out anything coming from Nokia after MrFlop announcement

Intel didn't freeze Quim out.

I dont kknow why Intel is so pissed to get contributins I thougt it was open ssource butl it looks more like its going to be an intelonly project at the end and that is no good!

What???

I hope I am wrong but following mailinglist and IRC a bit make me wonder what is going on.

Every statement I see from you tells me you're not actually following.

Your statements are far more FUD than fact.

Faustino
2011-06-15, 01:14
Because Harmattan is essentially an API-compatible version of Maemo. Maemo, as a partially open platform, had a limited future.

Maintaining an entire OS like Maemo was out of scope for Nokia, and it was in their best long-term interest to move the OS itself outside of the company, where lots of development work was happening already. They got Intel in on it, and over time it would have let them contribute to dedicated teams on the core, while reserving their in-house teams for porting work and Nokia-specific customizations (something they desperately needed to focus on.)

In the meantime, they had the inevitable issue of transitioning while not getting stuck, so Harmattan exists between Maemo and MeeGo, with the underpinnings of one and the APIs of the other. All the while, being stymied and stalled by an uncooperative bureaucracy.

I think "forced" is a bit silly. Well, "forced" by a light breeze into adopting the OS of his former employer...

I don't believe, not for a moment, that Maemo/MeeGo are in any way at fault for Nokia's inability to release a device based on them for the better part of 1.5 years. That screams "internal political failures" much louder than software related issues.

I agree with some of what you say.. but.. in terms of software, MeeGo has failed Nokia.. this canot be denied.. it might be potentially a great operating system.. but the software engineers and developers have so far failed.

WP7 may not be ideal.. it could turn out to be a huge mistake.. but at least Microsoft has the resources and talent to improve on what's there at the moment..

When or if a meego device is ever released.. how long is it going to take to get a firmware update?? The thought scares me...

somedude
2011-06-15, 02:01

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Texrat
2011-06-15, 02:39
Ok, that didn't come out right.

wmarone
2011-06-15, 05:19
in terms of software, MeeGo has failed Nokia.. this canot be denied.. it might be potentially a great operating system.. but the software engineers and developers have so far failed.
That's pretty much an outright insult towards people who have no control over what Nokia does. You're basically blaming them for Nokia moving off to WP7, when there was likely nothing they could do whatsoever.

When or if a meego device is ever released.. how long is it going to take to get a firmware update?? The thought scares me...
I know, the unknown is quite scary so the best thing to do is make up scary things and be scared.

jakiman
2011-06-15, 07:53
I am being invited to the June 21st event held at Nokia Australia head office in Sydney. Haven't got the official invite email yet but should be receiving it soon as she told me PR should be sending it out today/tomorrow. I really hope it is about what we all want to know about! (There is a chance I can't make it though as I'm working that day. Hope it's a night event....)

blipnl
2011-06-15, 08:19
I have been porposely not following gadget news and the Forum whilse on vacation for tha last 13 days, not wanting to be disappointed seeing zero progress and no releases. Seems that was a good secision :D

..or did I miss something?

vi_
2011-06-15, 08:27
I have been porposely not following gadget news and the Forum whilse on vacation for tha last 13 days, not wanting to be disappointed seeing zero progress and no releases. Seems that was a good secision :D

..or did I miss something?

Yeah bro, they released it and dropped support already. Didnt you get the burning memo?

Helmuth
2011-06-15, 09:14
In my opinion it's unfair to blame MeeGo or Intel.

Maemo 5 was GTK based. Nokia has already announced before the N900 release that Maemo 6 is Qt based. So they had already begun to rebuild the UI. They would have done this even without MeeGo. They have not made that much MeeGo related changes at their Harmattan device. See the *.deb against *.rpm based discussions.

In my opinion we could say thank you to Intel because we have now a second big contributor, with a major interest to make MeeGo successful. Without MeeGo our maemo would still stuck somewhere inside Nokia. They would perhaps still release the Harmattan device without the MeeGo decision. Who knows?

But what after that?
WP7 would be the big successor inside Nokia and maemo needs a lot of manpower in the development departments. I would be so easy to stop all maemo releated work inside Nokia.

Now with MeeGo its not solely in the hand of Mr. Elop. We got chances to get maemo 5 like devices (MeeGo based) from other vendors in the future. Even without Nokia.

Currently only Tablets and Netbooks, the IVI part is growing and we could see MeeGo in Airplanes to entertain the passengers. Yes, we still miss a handset. But Intel is still very interested because Android doesn't need Intel. And even Microsoft seems to be more interested in ARM.
Perhaps we won't get a MeeGo ARM device pushed by Intel. But if Intel got their Power Management fixed I would be fine with a 386 based Handset. Why not? Android is a nice toy. But I would be able to run Wine on my MeeGo Handset without recompiling anyting. Just in case. ;)

For my this sounds like a savor successor for my beloved N900. :D

jakiman
2011-06-15, 09:29
Okay. Just got the invitation from Nokia. Here's main part:

Nokia to “disrupt” market with new device

You are invited to join us for a casual lunch and a sneak preview of Nokia’s newest, soon-to-be-named device

Date: Tuesday 21st June, 2011

The new device will be unveiled and demonstrated for the first time by Kurt Bonnici, product and technology marketing manager at Nokia Australia. There will also be a live broadcast of Stephen Elop’s keynote speech from the Nokia Connection conference in Singapore.

Interesting. It's announced from Australia?

onethreealpha
2011-06-15, 09:33

Not surprising. We are the centre of the universe! :D

jakiman
2011-06-15, 09:36
Well, I'm not complaining. Now I gotta find out if I can take a day off work for it.
Not sure if I can with such a short notice. Hmm. Won't be easy. =(

zymo
2011-06-15, 09:39
Not surprising. We are the centre of the universe! :D

woooaaahhh! :eek:

And does the water drain counter-clockwise, or the opposite when you flush the toilet in the centre of the universe? :D

zapotek
2011-06-15, 09:42
just try for the sake of JAKIMAN's N9/U Rumour Summary ;)

mece
2011-06-15, 09:52

Apparently it's announced in Singapore, where Elop is, and broadcasted live in Australia (among other places I assume)

kanishou
2011-06-15, 09:57

This is really interesting. Especially that it is not part of Singapore where Elop is speaking. If this would be referring to the first WP7 device, wouldn't he be showing it over there?

I'm having a really good feeling about this, especially the way Nokia appears to talk about this with confidence (unlike the N900 presentation back in the days).

Donbabbeo
2011-06-15, 09:58
sneak preview of Nokia’s newest, soon-to-be-named device

The bold part does not bode well about an imminent release date...

jakiman
2011-06-15, 09:59
Well, they are using the word disrupt in the invitation's title.
So I can only assume this has something to do with the Meego device.

momcilo
2011-06-15, 10:02
Are you sure this is the "N9" devices with Meego?

The source is a mail from Nokia?

Helmuth
2011-06-15, 10:07
Well, they are using the word disrupt in the invitation's title.
So I can only assume this has something to do with the Meego device.

disrupt whom or what?

They could also talk about WP7... it's also a disruption for the current Nokia customers and moreover for us.

Jaffa
2011-06-15, 10:19
The bold part ["soon-to-be-named"] does not bode well about an imminent release date...

However, once the platform and the eventual device are unveiled, it can be followed with "this device is coming later this year, so we also have a developer platform available now to build an application base". That's how they could pitch a dev/consumer device.

In fact, given the invite says "casual lunch and sneak-preview" and it's not in Singapore with Elop, I think it's very likely that this is the unveiling of Harmattan.

If it was Windows Phone, Elop would be doing it himself, on-stage. However, he can't do the MeeGo reveal with the agenda of the Nokia Connection event - as I said above, it'd detract from the main message of WP7 & S40 - so having a simultaneous, lower-key, event (which he can reference) keeps MeeGo relegated to a side project, rather than the core of the short-/medium-term strategy.

This allows the Harmattan reveal to take place without confusing the main message, provides for a sneak peak of the consumer device and a launch of the dev programme.

Exciting stuff :-)

jakiman
2011-06-15, 10:19
Are you sure this is the "N9" devices with Meego?

The source is a mail from Nokia?

I'm not sure if this is the Meego N9 that we all want. But I have a feeling it might be.
and yes, this is from Nokia. I've been invited to their previous events also.

jakiman
2011-06-15, 10:22
btw, there is one more tid bit that I didn't mention in that invitation.
Guess there's no harm so here it is with bold/underline as received.

Please note this will be a product demonstration only. In his role as product manager, Kurt will only be available to answer technical questions relating to the new device.

So yeah, I really wanna go to this as I'll have some good questions to ask once I know what device it is. =)

zymo
2011-06-15, 10:29

So yeah, I really wanna go to this as I'll have some good questions to ask once I know what device it is. =)

this sounds a bit like that the device hasn’t reached final level. only a demo (no hands on) and only technical question.

JUST LOOK, DON’T TOUCH! :rolleyes:

Dave999
2011-06-15, 10:48
I hope we don't see a release Any time soon,

Faustino
2011-06-15, 10:49
That's pretty much an outright insult towards people who have no control over what Nokia does. You're basically blaming them for Nokia moving off to WP7, when there was likely nothing they could do whatsoever.

I know, the unknown is quite scary so the best thing to do is make up scary things and be scared.

I'm not trying to insult anyone by what i say.. but lets face facts.. it's been a long time since the MeeGo project was first announced.. and for all the rumours and everything else.. there has been little end product considering that both Nokia and Intel were essentially building on their previous work.

It's not like 3 geeks just suddenly decided to make a brand new OS from out of nowhere...

The people involved have shown little urgency which is frustrating as a consumer, i would really like to support them.. but when things take so long to come out, it makes it hard to stay loyal.

I'll be very honest.. if a Nokia WP7 is out before the MeeGo device, that's how i'll probably roll...

tissot
2011-06-15, 11:01
I don't really understand why people think it will be announced in Australia.
Like mece said whatever the device(s) will be it will announced in Nokia Connection. Nokia might seem like brain dead at times, but they are not so stupid that they would "disrupt" market in Australia while they got "years most important event" in Singapore at the exact same day. :D

They will have same kind of event all around the world for people to get a glimpse of the actual hw. It's not the first time.

Btw if this ends up being N9 you can't blame Elop for not hyping it up.

vivmak
2011-06-15, 11:05

I suspect it is Nokia X7 , soon to be released in Australia, check their website. Nokia.com.au

babraq
2011-06-15, 11:06
I know that Eldar is not appreciated here, but look what he tweeted:

June 21 nokia will launch last maemo device. Nokia will produce 92000 devices for all countries. I'm not interested in so niche device

He still insists on quantity, it makes me wonder where that came from. And Maemo part - off course it is last, all future disruptive devices supposed to be MeeGo based. Conclusion - nothing new from Eldar.

jakiman
2011-06-15, 11:11
I suspect it is Nokia X7 , soon to be released in Australia, check their website. Nokia.com.au

If it is the X7, it will definitely disrupt me. :mad:

tissot
2011-06-15, 11:14
I know that Eldar is not appreciated here, but look what he tweeted:

He still insists on quantity, it makes me wonder where that came from. And Maemo part - off course it is last, all future disruptive devices supposed to be MeeGo based. Conclusion - nothing new from Eldar.

For me it seems like Eldar doesn't know about the nondeveloper phone... or there is no "consumer device".

Eldar is pretty much spot on usually about the devices released (while he does add all kind of fud). Would be nice to prove Eldar totally wrong if they will announce dev and consumer device at 21.

kanishou
2011-06-15, 11:19

"soon-to-be-named".

richie
2011-06-15, 11:26
Has the Meego name been approved for use on Harmattan? May be Maemo might live on with Harmattan...

retsaw
disrupt whom or what?talk.maemo.org :D

mece
I hear (from some nok folk) that amount of dali's that were made should be in thousands, so perhaps that's the 92k is about that.

OVK
2011-06-15, 11:35
I hear (from some nok folk) that amount of dali's that were made should be in thousands, so perhaps that's the 92k is about that.

I heard the same.

The same people however have not said anything about the consumer device. I don't know if they really don't know about it either or just try to keep me in the dark... :D Which is ofcourse impossible because the TRUTH can be found on TMO. :rolleyes:

NvyUs
2011-06-15, 11:40
Its an event mostly for southeast Asia & Pacific, so why are people surprised the Device might be unveiled by a Australian?

onethreealpha
2011-06-15, 11:48
Its an event mostly for southeast Asia & Pacific, so why are people surprised the Device might be unveiled by a Australian?

We're a tiny market despite high mobile device usage.
Singapore, bankers to the Asian market and gateway to China, the worlds largest (and one of the fastest) growing economies.
Also a key focus of many corporations looking to expand into....

Kozzi
2011-06-15, 11:59
**** this, I'm moving to Australia

antman8969
2011-06-15, 14:01
http://www.intomobile.com/2011/06/15/nokia-announce-market-disrupting-device-june-21st-likely-their-first-and-only-meego-smartphone/

Considering the confidentiality with the FCC expires on the 24th, I don't know what else it could be. Only 92000 units being made, so it'll definitely be another n900 in terms of support, but that does not really bother me. Wonder when it will go on sale....

shallimus
2011-06-15, 14:04
Nice idea, but they call it a market-disrupting device, so it'll be the first Microkia abomination.
(I'd love to be wrong on this, of course...)

This is because the current "leadership" believes that they're actually going to gain market share from iPhone and Android with this not-even-polished turd.

kanishou
2011-06-15, 14:17
They just picked up some bits and pieces of information and rumours, all of which have been posted around here already. Don't put any credence to that.

tswindell
2011-06-15, 14:27
Yeah, all still rumours. I'd hope for community engagement if it was being announced somehow and there is all but none.

cfh11
2011-06-15, 14:50
This is more than a rumor

Nokia to “disrupt” market with new device

You are invited to join us for a casual lunch and a sneak preview of Nokia’s newest, soon-to-be-named device

Date: Tuesday 21st June, 2011

The new device will be unveiled and demonstrated for the first time by Kurt Bonnici, product and technology marketing manager at Nokia Australia. There will also be a live broadcast of Stephen Elop’s keynote speech from the Nokia Connection conference in Singapore.

That is about as much of a confirmation as you will get from Nokia

BigBadGuber!
2011-06-15, 14:56
They will disrupt themselves in the process. The only recent disrulptive devices in the past 5 years have been produced by Apple.

NvyUs
2011-06-15, 15:06
The device will not be Unveiled in Australia or announced to World from there.
I've just heard there will be local gatherings in few Countries to the Let local Media and such get hands on with whatever Elop and Crew will Globally launch from Singapore.

cfh11
2011-06-15, 15:08
They will disrupt themselves in the process. The only recent disrulptive devices in the past 5 years have been produced by Apple.

you keep drinkin that kool aid buddy

Texrat
2011-06-15, 15:12
From a business perspective, an open OS like MeeGo makes more sense for Intel than Nokia anyway: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com/2011/05/06/intel-and-the-open-ecosystem/

tswindell
2011-06-15, 15:26
I think you should all think about why they would, press release a development device intended at a small audience of hackers and enthusiasts? Unless the very well hidden afaict consumer device is to be unveiled...

momcilo
2011-06-15, 15:32
I think you should all think about why they would, press release a development device intended at a small audience of hackers and enthusiasts? Unless the very well hidden afaict consumer device is to be unveiled...

You mean WF7 + N9?

Or Meego + N9?

antman8969
2011-06-15, 15:35
I would have to agree that this device won't be disruptive. WP7 and Meego both dont really strike me as ground breaking.

I think something like Google Chrome has more disruptive potential then either.

Rugoz
2011-06-15, 15:39
I think something like Google Chrome has more disruptive potential then either

:eek: :confused:

zapotek
2011-06-15, 15:41
You mean WF7 + N9?

Or Meego + N9?

maybe!!!:confused:Dali for the hackers!!?

vi_
2011-06-15, 15:44
WTF is this thing?

http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Company/20094/China_Dali_Trade_Co_LTD20094201154484.jpg

quipper8
2011-06-15, 15:46
WTF is this thing?

http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Company/20094/China_Dali_Trade_Co_LTD20094201154484.jpg

a chinese n97 clone

http://dailymobile.se/2009/04/15/pictures-nokia-n97-clone-2/

vi_
2011-06-15, 15:47
a chinese n97 clone

lame

----------

quipper8
2011-06-15, 15:50
lame

----------

indded :)))

zymo
2011-06-15, 16:01
so if eldar is right this time and if there are really 92000 units of the RM680 maybe nokia will sell these units too. i mean how many of these will they give to devs? 1000 or more. Even if it’s more what will happen to the remaining units? maybe there will be a „Limited Edition“ of the rm-680, who knows?!

Brock
2011-06-15, 16:02
there was only 1 "disruptive" device from apple, and that was the first iphone. very poor hardware but a very smooth and easy to use ui with a big touch screen. thats all, the hardware was crap. and they didnt had an app store or a sdk at the beginning. and all other phone were just refresh versions of the first 1 (getting 3G and later a little bit more speed), iphone4 is the first real smartphone in my eyes. simple and nice ui + perfect marketing = big success.

@disruption:
the first and last situation nokia used this word was in one sentence with meego/maemo. so its very likely that we will see this "future disruption" device with maemo inside :)

6 days left...

zymo
2011-06-15, 16:09
6 days left...

may i correct you?

5 days, 9 hours and 50 min left :D

Hotshot
2011-06-15, 16:18
This could be hope for us HW KB users. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

mikecomputing
2011-06-15, 16:22

don't think it was Elops decision to merge with Moblin so you can't really blame him for those failings. He was pretty much forced into choosing WP7 because of the slow progress of MeeGo (which he is also partly to blame for.. but so is everyone else connected with it)

I blame symbian on this not meego...

Remember that the plan has always been to release a non fully but "compatible" handset namely Maemo Harmattan. its more like symbian and Qt proogress slowed it down not mainly because of meego. Ofcourse that also is a problem but far from the biggest problems...

mikecomputing
2011-06-15, 16:34
Intel didn't freeze Quim out.

What???

Every statement I see from you tells me you're not actually following.

well I am glad if am am wrong then. But just got that feeling
when following mailinglists..the sometimes seems to be hard feelings...

btw I diid NOT SAY qgill got kicked or similar...

mikecomputing
2011-06-15, 16:49

So well, if its not even named it will take a half year more before "announcement" then a year after there maybe will be a release...

Q2 2012 we have the device WOHO!!! ;)

retsaw
2011-06-15, 17:23
Nice idea, but they call it a market-disrupting device, so it'll be the first Microkia abomination.Except Elop said back in February that he was using Meego for future disruptions. So if they are pitching it as a market disrupting device it is not unreasonable to expect it to be Meego. And consider what exactly is disruptive about a WP7 device, it is not like it would be the first WP7 device anyway.

mece
2011-06-15, 17:30
There seems to be a lot of confusion going on here. I'd like to add to that confusion by giving my theory of what is going on, based on the information I've gathered from this thread, mailing lists and things I hear from Nokians.

This is what I take as commonly believed fact:
1. "Dali", aka N9 (http://photos.macnn.com/news/1008/nokian9-leaklg4.jpg) was to be released late last year but was scrapped in the last minute for one reason or another. Dali runs Maemo 6 aka Harmattan. Some thousands of these were built before it was scrapped. Nokia wants to do something with these devices. Exactly what or how they will be used will most likely become clear the 21th. The term "Developer device" has been thrown around.

2. "Lankku" is a device that exists at least as a prototype, and claims have been made that this one will be produced for consumers. Lankku also runs Harmattan. Produced for consumers means much more of these will be produced than the Dali device. Apparently "Lankku" has faster hardware and no keyboard and is thin and beautiful. This device has not been leaked.

This is what I think will happen on the 21th:
Nokia will unveil Harmattan, Harmattan SDK will be released, a developer device program will be announced and information about when to expect the consumer device will be given. My guess is Q3-2011. But the device won't be in consumers hands before late November.

Regarding some other nonsense:
The number 92000 devices that people are talking about sounds somewhat plausible for the amount of Dali devices that were produced before it was scrapped. Obviously Nokia would not decide beforehand exactly how many devices would be produced. That depends on if they sell etc.

EDIT one more thing, I think that the Dali devices will be available for the developers very soon. They want development to happen before the consumer device is out.

EDIT2 The event is in Singapore not in Australia. Here's the schedule: http://www.nokiaconnection.net/event.php