PDA

View Full Version : The EPIC N9 anticipation thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30]

scapegoat845
2011-06-21, 19:36
Interested to see the email functionality in this thing...

zymo
2011-06-21, 19:41
Where'd you see that?
In the official specs it's 2.1+edr, but hopefully they upgrade to BT4 later, along with usb-otg!?
No idea if they will though, probably not....

Don't really care that there's no mhl or hdmi out, what's wrong with the video-out already built-in!?
Does the job just as nicely, get a hdmi adapter if you need one!

i saw that here
http://www.google.de/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=http://nds2.fds-forum.nokia.com/p/d/fds_forum/3744886f-69c1-4544-8ad3-72b352b4a832/Nokia_N950_OneClickFlashers_Release_Notes/Nokia_N950_OneClickFlashers_Release_Notes_v22_6_en .txt%3F&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=mvMATu_KF8PoOeL8raMO

zymo
2011-06-21, 19:48

glimpse of email (one pic :( )

http://mynokiablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/apps_for_communication-thumb.jpg

billybobjones
2011-06-21, 19:57
What makes you think outputting via the Nokia AV 3.5 port is in any way inferior to outputting via hdmi?
Anyway I don't see where its proven we don't have USB-otg or HDMI... yet.
Just because it's no mentioned in official specs, doesn't mean its not there,
Some other things may be further supported in the coming weeks... or not.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that AV outputs to 800x600 if this isn't the case and it can out put to 1280×720 then perfect. Could anyone shed more light on this?

momcilo
2011-06-21, 20:00
Quick question, does NFC have the capability one day to be paired up with lets say a NFC HDMI Video adapter, or is the communication speed not rapid enough to stream video?

NFC is ultra low speed. The main advantage is low range ~10 cm maximum. Check ISO 14443 A/B standards. The max communication is arround 800 kbit/s

That makes it "secure" to exchange shared secret for bluetooth/wifi pairing.

brandonc
2011-06-21, 20:03
glimpse of email (one pic :( )

http://mynokiablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/apps_for_communication-thumb.jpg

http://swipe.nokia.com/features/ click find out more at the bottom, has a little tech demo of email

brandonc
2011-06-21, 20:09
one other thing...no landscape on the homescreens?

suy
2011-06-21, 20:16

I know this isn't the answer you want, but I have to raise the point that Kontact Touch (http://dot.kde.org/2011/06/10/new-kontact-suite-brings-next-gen-groupware-desktop-and-mobile) will be a FOSS mail client. I wonder if it could be integrated as the default mail/contacts app, or if it can read/write the same address book as the bundled one (99% sure that the second answer is yes due to Qt Mobility APIs).

billybobjones
2011-06-21, 20:47
I agree with your assessment 100%, but the only thing I can honestly think of that this is truly a "market disrupting device" because it I honestly whole heartedly truly believe that this is not the last Meego phone we'll see from Nokia. Think about the Iphone 3G when it first came out, it slowly got better and better, more added feature then before you know it, leading smartphone. I believe this is what Nokia wants to do, have you guys on here Develop using the N950 and support this little side project called Meego until they've used up MS money for the time being. Then in 5 years ( I think that's how long MS signed up for) used as a bargaining chip, so honestly guys, in the end its all about money and leverage and strategy. So next year's Meego phone will have a few more things like HDMI output or Adobe flash downloaded from the store option like Android has.

Listen, people are dumb, phone buyers are dumber, you think my little sister cares about this stuff, hell no, when she picks up an iphone 4 and sees glitz and glamour or it, like how smooth the interface is and the pretty features, you think she has a clue about ecosystem? Like honestly she could care less. But I'll put any money down on the line, right now you put Iphone 4 beside the N9, just from UI and design, N9 will win 9 out of 10 times. Thats a fact.

my two cents.

I'd like to thank all the future N950 developers ahead of time for their courage and efforts for our future meego phones :)

You're right the N9 has a great design, to be honest maybe one of the best around. As an operating system Harmatten is awesome, so is Maemo 5.

I do disagree with you about people not caring about an ecosystem. Granted, perhaps they don't even know it's called an ecosystem or that they've even joined one. I've been helping people build or pick their electronic devices since I was 14 and still to this day I'll get people who tell me that they need a laptop or desktop with a powerful graphics card and it has to be Nvidia because Nvidia is best, or it could be AMD CPU is best because last they shopped for a coumputer was in the AMD 64 days and all they remember was someone telling them to go AMD and they've just never stopped.

You're right that people don't know architecture but they do know numbers and when they see 1.5 ghz vs 1.0 ghz at the same price they'll more often enough pick 1.5 ghz because more is better, same with ram, 512 has to be better than 256. Sure, they don't know if it's ddr 3 or ddr 4 it's just a higher number which just makes it better. So, I do believe that specs do make a fair difference in clients choices. If you don't market specs but you market it as a newer number such as, iphone 5 vs iphone 4 and how it's much faster, better ect... you get the same effect.

Same with the app ecosystem, when you're at airport and you see you can check in with an iphone app, when you're bank advertises mobile banking with an iphone app, when you're friends have these cool games on their iphone, when you go to twitter, and facebook and they advertise their mobile iphone clients you begin to wonder hey whats all this iphone business about. Ditto with android.

Now lets say you're sister is shopping for a mobile phone, she gets the N9 and realizes that suddenly the situation isn't quite the same. There isn't all these N9 apps and all her favorite sites are offering iphone apps but not N9 apps, do you think she'll rebuy?

This phone may get more mainstream than the N900, but it's not going to replace iOS or andorid. Nokia knows this, which is why they've chosen to go with Phone 7. So, if you're not successfully targeting that causal crowd who are you going to target? the power users? the latest and the best crowd? I don't think Nokia figured this out and that is the problem.

Nokia is now the underdog and their track record isn't that great as of late. If they can't make a device that wow's with amazing software and equally amazing hardware I fear they're not going to gain casual users and they'll lose the existing power ones.

The N9 is a good device, but amongst a sea of other good devices Nokia badly needs an amazing one.

Arpa
2011-06-21, 20:51
I'll tell you why people here are disappointed: If I was working at a mobile phone store and regular Joe walks in wondering what type of phone he should get, I'd direct him to the phone or windows phone 7, which I know in good conscience would be: easy to use, have decent functionality, look pretty, have terrific usage expandability via apps and be supported for at least 2 years.

If I was working in a phone shop I would ask what the customer would like to use his phone for and not push some phone down his throat he doesn't necessarily need.

What I have learned from the N9, you know things that would matter for example to my wife are:

- screen is big enough but not too big
- there are different colours available
- it doesn't matter if it get's squeezed in her bag
- not too many moving parts/functions (visible)
- she can see social network updates easily
- she doesn't get lost/forget with programs running on background
- she can share photos and video directly from camera/gallery to facebook
- it looks nice
- (sports tracker would be nice)

everything else is bonus.

maniu
2011-06-21, 20:54
Okey, so what i think...
Everybody in Nokia who is involved somehow with meego should do the best they can to prove that this OS is right way to go, not quit! It has future but not if they let Elop kill it (i dont understand how everybody around in nokia let him do what he does)
Why the hell would you announce that you are dropping everything?! it should all go smooth, if they want to try WP7, okey, release few models along with symbian and MeeGo, if people find it better- slowly kill off products that dont seem to be profitable enough!
Nokias ideas were the best, they just have hard time completing them... but becoming boring company is not future proof plan.

Here is what i would do:P : Nokia is to slow developing their own OS - ok. So, take one year off from symbian and meamo/meego, release android phones with QT support, promote QT, release great apps with QT (ovi maps....) . When symbian + meego is ready, release this combo and you have a winner with QT developers and ready apps + if android turned out to be better way than using symbian, drop symbian by natural death, meego is must for true power users.

It is funny that i invented this strategy in few minutes, i am wondering how many things are wrong with it:P Elop is very selfish. If you read this (lol) : Your way is WRONG. If you wouldn't have any bigger connections with microsoft, maybe i would trust you little bit:)

About N9: Its nice phone but... is os killing off not used apps? i think it finally is as apps are designed to be swiped off, so... i think there should be a way to "pin" apps, this way they are always on top and never killed. So much open apps can be problematic and for example if i am chatting with someone, i want IM app always on top - pinned.

Event window is cool, if you think about destops(like on n900) it is not the right way, they are very customizable but they are stupid, sorry for saying it. Its hard to explain, but if i look at your n900 desktops - they are always a mess and i dont belive it is fast to use 3+ desktops as some of you are.
Anyway, events window should support some kind off drop down widgets so you can click to show/hide them separately or all and under them should be events list. For example you wanna play music- go to events/widgets and hit play than click to hide all widgets so you can focus on events.

Folders in menu is must, it is not easy to find apps in long scroll down list as icon position depends on power of your scroll - you cannot remember apps positions this way!

+ Release Keyboard version!!!!

****...it was suppose to be quick post, sorry:p

zlatokosi
2011-06-21, 20:59
If I was working in a phone shop I would ask what the customer would like to use his phone for and not push some phone down his throat he doesn't necessarily need.

everything else is bonus.

Oh, from how I read that post he seemed NOT to be pushing any particular phone, but rather the opposite, he was thinking about the customers needs.

How many salesmen actually even know about future device support? And I wouldn't exactly consider that a bonus.

Diavoli
2011-06-21, 21:20
You're right the N9 has a great design, to be honest maybe one of the best around. As an operating system Harmatten is awesome, so is Maemo 5.

I do disagree with you about people not caring about an ecosystem. Granted, perhaps they don't even know it's called an ecosystem or that they've even joined one. I've been helping people build or pick their electronic devices since I was 14 and still to this day I'll get people who tell me that they need a laptop or desktop with a powerful graphics card and it has to be Nvidia because Nvidia is best, or it could be AMD CPU is best because last they shopped for a coumputer was in the AMD 64 days and all they remember was someone telling them to go AMD and they've just never stopped.

You're right that people don't know architecture but they do know numbers and when they see 1.5 ghz vs 1.0 ghz at the same price they'll more often enough pick 1.5 ghz because more is better, same with ram, 512 has to be better than 256. Sure, they don't know if it's ddr 3 or ddr 4 it's just a higher number which just makes it better. So, I do believe that specs do make a fair difference in clients choices. If you don't market specs but you market it as a newer number such as, iphone 5 vs iphone 4 and how it's much faster, better ect... you get the same effect.

Same with the app ecosystem, when you're at airport and you see you can check in with an iphone app, when you're bank advertises mobile banking with an iphone app, when you're friends have these cool games on their iphone, when you go to twitter, and facebook and they advertise their mobile iphone clients you begin to wonder hey whats all this iphone business about. Ditto with android.

Now lets say you're sister is shopping for a mobile phone, she gets the N9 and realizes that suddenly the situation isn't quite the same. There isn't all these N9 apps and all her favorite sites are offering iphone apps but not N9 apps, do you think she'll rebuy?

This phone may get more mainstream than the N900, but it's not going to replace iOS or andorid. Nokia knows this, which is why they've chosen to go with Phone 7. So, if you're not successfully targeting that causal crowd who are you going to target? the power users? the latest and the best crowd? I don't think Nokia figured this out and that is the problem.

Nokia is now the underdog and their track record isn't that great as of late. If they can't make a device that wow's with amazing software and equally amazing hardware I fear they're not going to gain casual users and they'll lose the existing power ones.

The N9 is a good device, but amongst a sea of other good devices Nokia badly needs an amazing one.

I agree with your assessment on additional added apps which do appeal to the people that actually use them, but is that the real deal breaker to purchasing a smart phone for lets say a person like my sister, unless its something which affects her daily life, I'm not so sure. Like the previous poster said about his wife, my sister in all honesty have seen her use her phone like this:

Facebook updates 30 percent
Messaging/email 30 percent
Random web surfing to look at chanel or louis vuitton purses, US magazine updates, youtube, 20 percent
Talking 20 percent

Now I don't want to be gender biased or how many females actually buy a smartphone, but lets say they represent 50 percent of the marketplace, and a high percentage of them are basically users like my sister, thats alot of people that basically want something that is nice to look at and easy to use.

Right now compared to the N9, Iphone4 looks so outdated in terms of:

Examples:
Different colours-N9
Camera-N9
screen size-N9
Design-N9
Reception-N9
Wow factor/Showing off to friends-N9

chase15
2011-06-21, 21:25
one other thing...no landscape on the homescreens?

http://www.developer.nokia.com/swipe/ux/pages/Hardware.html

jo21
2011-06-21, 21:29
http://konttoristhoughts.blogspot.com/2011/06/respect.html?showComment=1308689563093#c1440509467 930614562
http://felipec.wordpress.com/2011/06/21/my-disagreement-with-elop-on-meego/#comment-5954
go there and say thanks, guys this mass market device.

lets hope n900 get later a true successor with all features and xenon flash.

smegheadz
2011-06-21, 21:31
i've been thinking. it hasn't bothered me that the n900 hasn't got the support from nokia you'd have hoped. some important updates, made it stable but nothing really in the way of trying to make it work. it does really everything i can want it to do. maybe a little dissapointed in the lack of little timewasters (mini games) i could play on a bus or lunch break but no biggie.
so what of the n9? how much will they support it? will it have alot of 'out of box' content and functionality that it is fine? i'm not sure if anyone is like me but i tend to replace my phone after 2 years. and the only thing i tend to port over is contacts so not too fused about how much love they give it if it works fine and does a good job.

I can see why they are pushing WP7, it has a boatload of apps to boast about even though it's very fresh, it has xbox live intergration, it has skype coming, lots of social networking intergration, mango update brings alot of interesting additions. microsoft are pushing out updates FAST and they don't have to concentrate on hardware just the software. nokia can do the hardware and spend less money on software now, they save billions on R&D now. let them push WP7 make the wedge in the market so it's not too monopolised by android and ios, means they can get their customer base back, build up meego along the way and when their ready push the market again. but i do think meego itself is too unpolished for full push, if it wasn't for this herm/meego it'd be terrible.

let meego mature more, let wp7 carve out a piece of the market and keep supporting meego projects. i intend too since i like what if offers me.

Arpa
2011-06-21, 21:32
Oh, from how I read that post he seemed NOT to be pushing any particular phone, but rather the opposite, he was thinking about the customers needs.

Most people don't _need_ smartphone even. So the question should have been, "what you want to do with your phone" and not "I think you can do with iPhone or WP7 phone". In the end that may be true, but the way there is not correct.

biatch0
2011-06-21, 21:34
Would I buy an N9? Yes.

Would I consider an N9 as an upgrade to the N900? No.

Given the trade-offs an N900 user would have to make going to the N9, I personally think it's a sidegrade. To be fair, we haven't really seen what the N9 is capable of after giving the Maemo/MeeGo community some time to work with it - so comparing it to the N900 which has ended up being clocked to 1.1GHz and hacked into transmitting FM (wasn't part of the original spec list right?) is a little unfair.

I really do hope that given some time, the N9 will be able to fill the very large shoes that the N900 has left behind.

IsaacDFP
2011-06-21, 21:46
Around when can we expect Nokia to announce it's official release date?

Jedibeeftrix
2011-06-21, 21:51

the best we have is an assertion that nokia wants to cut down the time from announcement to sales.................... which isn't very comforting.

IsaacDFP
2011-06-21, 21:53
the best we have is an assertion that nokia wants to cut down the time from announcement to sales.................... which isn't very comforting.

That's the last I heard too several months ago... but shouldn't that mean that it should be coming out like...very soon?

vi_
2011-06-21, 21:53

Your thinking of the release date announcement date announcement?

Jedibeeftrix
2011-06-21, 21:56
That's the last I heard too several months ago... but shouldn't that mean that it should be coming out like...very soon?

*fingers crossed*

catbus
2011-06-21, 22:10

'"K" said' it earlier, in September in stores...

ericsson
2011-06-21, 22:13

It is weeks rather than months.

I hoped for HW keyboard (until the bitter end) and the U8500, but I think the N9 is superb. Not that unlike my Samsung Wave (1 GHz and amoled), but with MUCH cooler UI and much better looks. This semi-outdated HW specs and simple, but excellent, casing also means it will be cheap.

Jedibeeftrix
2011-06-21, 22:15
so wwhich is it, weeks, or september in stores as "K" suggested? :)

billybobjones
2011-06-21, 22:15
I agree with your assessment on additional added apps which do appeal to the people that actually use them, but is that the real deal breaker to purchasing a smart phone for lets say a person like my sister, unless its something which affects her daily life, I'm not so sure. Like the previous poster said about his wife, my sister in all honesty have seen her use her phone like this:

Facebook updates 30 percent
Messaging/email 30 percent
Random web surfing to look at chanel or louis vuitton purses, US magazine updates, youtube, 20 percent
Talking 20 percent

Now I don't want to be gender biased or how many females actually buy a smartphone, but lets say they represent 50 percent of the marketplace, and a high percentage of them are basically users like my sister, thats alot of people that basically want something that is nice to look at and easy to use.

Right now compared to the N9, Iphone4 looks so outdated in terms of:

Examples:
Different colours-N9
Camera-N9
screen size-N9
Design-N9
Reception-N9
Wow factor/Showing off to friends-N9

While I don't disagree with you, let me share a story about a client of mine. He's on the board of a large company, and also has a few side business one of which, a race track, just got robbed. The company that takes care of his security had created an app for ios where you can see real time updates when the motion detectors are triggered as well as the ability to view each camera that is installed.

Because of this one app. He's switched over some 30 employees from blackberry to iphone. His spouse is now also using an iphone and most of his employee's spouses have also followed suit. In addition to this, the large company of whom he's on the board of directors has, at his suggestion, also switched from blackberry to the iphone, this is over 300 phones. iOS gained around 350 phones from just one misc app and as iOS continues to gain market traction, this is going to become more and more common.

People are going to come across an app from iOS or Android that they really want or need and switch just for that. Once you've started using these ecosystems you're tied in. lets say you start buying some ibooks or music via itunes, you start purchasing some games and other apps, pretty soon, you've got a decent investment going in this ecosystem and no amount of all the swiping in the world is going to get you to switch. These scenarios are also exactly why, in my opinion, Nokia decided to ditch Symbian and go with Microsoft.

The reason I even commented about all this in the first place, was because, someone sounded pretty shocked that people were disappointed with the N9. Here I'm thinking that after 2 years of development they've introduced a phone that is hardly an upgrade from the N900. It's missing features that the N8 and E7 have and hardware wise, is behind phones coming out now and when it starts retailing in a couple months will be even more behind.

All this to say, if you really want to disrupt the market and swing people away from android and iOS you're going to need to do a whole lot more than the N9 and Swipe. Harmatten is pretty and it's cool, there are great features, it is an upgrade from the N900, but It's definitely not a 600 euro upgrade

IsaacDFP
2011-06-21, 22:23
I don't understand why soooo many of you keep comparing the N9 to the iPhone 4... you guys do realize the iPhone 5 is coming out soon right? And it will probably beat the N9 in all specs... then what you gonna say?

billybobjones
2011-06-21, 22:26
i've been thinking. it hasn't bothered me that the n900 hasn't got the support from nokia you'd have hoped. some important updates, made it stable but nothing really in the way of trying to make it work. it does really everything i can want it to do. maybe a little dissapointed in the lack of little timewasters (mini games) i could play on a bus or lunch break but no biggie.
so what of the n9? how much will they support it? will it have alot of 'out of box' content and functionality that it is fine? i'm not sure if anyone is like me but i tend to replace my phone after 2 years. and the only thing i tend to port over is contacts so not too fused about how much love they give it if it works fine and does a good job.

I can see why they are pushing WP7, it has a boatload of apps to boast about even though it's very fresh, it has xbox live intergration, it has skype coming, lots of social networking intergration, mango update brings alot of interesting additions. microsoft are pushing out updates FAST and they don't have to concentrate on hardware just the software. nokia can do the hardware and spend less money on software now, they save billions on R&D now. let them push WP7 make the wedge in the market so it's not too monopolised by android and ios, means they can get their customer base back, build up meego along the way and when their ready push the market again. but i do think meego itself is too unpolished for full push, if it wasn't for this herm/meego it'd be terrible.

let meego mature more, let wp7 carve out a piece of the market and keep supporting meego projects. i intend too since i like what if offers me.

You're totally right, which is why I'm not worried about the software, I think the software that I've seen so far is amazing and very well though out. The hardware though, is what it is, and OS isn't going to change that.

billybobjones
2011-06-21, 22:30
I don't understand why soooo many of you keep comparing the N9 to the iPhone 4... you guys do realize the iPhone 5 is coming out soon right? And it will probably beat the N9 in all specs... then what you gonna say?

The iphone 4 already basically beats the N9 in specs. When the iphone 5 comes out, people will say the same thing, just with out the basically.

maxximuscool
2011-06-21, 22:31
Could someone port this OS to N900? Build a custom ROM or something :D This would bring life to N900 for many years to come.

Will there be a Hacker edition for N900? I can only wish

shallimus
2011-06-21, 22:40
I don't understand why soooo many of you keep comparing the N9 to the iPhone 4...

Two reasons:

iPhone has more mindshare than anything else amongst the general consumer populace
comparing everything to the iPhone is a modern brain disease

you guys do realize the iPhone 5 is coming out soon right? And it will probably beat the N9 in all specs... then what you gonna say?
Same things we always do. But last I heard the iPhone 5 isn't out til next year...?

smegheadz
2011-06-21, 22:45
While I don't disagree with you, let me share a story about a client of mine. He's on the board of a large company, and also has a few side business one of which, a race track, just got robbed. The company that takes care of his security had created an app for ios where you can see real time updates when the motion detectors are triggered as well as the ability to view each camera that is installed.

Because of this one app. He's switched over some 30 employees from blackberry to iphone. His spouse is now also using an iphone and most of his employee's spouses have also followed suit. In addition to this, the large company of whom he's on the board of directors has, at his suggestion, also switched from blackberry to the iphone, this is over 300 phones. iOS gained around 350 phones from just one misc app and as iOS continues to gain market traction, this is going to become more and more common.

People are going to come across an app from iOS or Android that they really want or need and switch just for that. Once you've started using these ecosystems you're tied in. lets say you start buying some ibooks or music via itunes, you start purchasing some games and other apps, pretty soon, you've got a decent investment going in this ecosystem and no amount of all the swiping in the world is going to get you to switch. These scenarios are also exactly why, in my opinion, Nokia decided to ditch Symbian and go with Microsoft.

The reason I even commented about all this in the first place, was because, someone sounded pretty shocked that people were disappointed with the N9. Here I'm thinking that after 2 years of development they've introduced a phone that is hardly an upgrade from the N900. It's missing features that the N8 and E7 have and hardware wise, is behind phones coming out now and when it starts retailing in a couple months will be even more behind.

All this to say, if you really want to disrupt the market and swing people away from android and iOS you're going to need to do a whole lot more than the N9 and Swipe. Harmatten is pretty and it's cool, there are great features, it is an upgrade from the N900, but It's definitely not a 600 euro upgrade

that story had nothing to do with the hardware of the iphone but the 3rd party app he had created. could have created it for android or windows. if idiots like that want to fork out for gimics, so what? can make apps like that for and already is available for most operating systems.
stop thinking of this as nokia's main device. if it's not worth €600 and it's not an upgrade from the n900 then don't buy it. nokia is going WP7 all the way for the next few years. your just pi*sing in the wind. Meego/hermatten is testing the waters, they'll do it again with another device, put some features in it and see how we like them. get used to it with all manufacturers, one way or another you'll buy a new device and they'll stop supporting it because their new shiny is out. seems like only a few months ago(exaggeration) the first galaxy was out, now the 3rd one is coming out.

billybobjones
2011-06-21, 22:55
that story had nothing to do with the hardware of the iphone but the 3rd party app he had created. could have created it for android or windows. if idiots like that want to fork out for gimics, so what? can make apps like that for and already is available for most operating systems.
stop thinking of this as nokia's main device. if it's not worth €600 and it's not an upgrade from the n900 then don't buy it. nokia is going WP7 all the way for the next few years. your just pi*sing in the wind. Meego/hermatten is testing the waters, they'll do it again with another device, put some features in it and see how we like them. get used to it with all manufacturers, one way or another you'll buy a new device and they'll stop supporting it because their new shiny is out. seems like only a few months ago(exaggeration) the first galaxy was out, now the 3rd one is coming out.

which is why that comment was a response to Diavoli about the importance of an app ecosystem.

It might help to take this in context, My involvment with this conversation started with a question as to why people were disappointed with the N9. Coming from an N900 and waiting two years what I see regarding the N9 is a bit disappointing. Am i saying it's a bad device? no. Is it the end of the world? no. it's not a big deal if I don't like it I'll chose something else. It's still a disappointment.

Bazza
2011-06-21, 23:03
@damion and all i doubted.

my most humble apologies damion's picture is an N950. :eek:

it does have the same keyboard though :):):)

Hariainm
2011-06-21, 23:14
Please, can somebody please bring to me some light about this features in the new N9, thread has grown a lot since yesterday :-p

- Full landscape view? (landscape menu, browser, conversations, apps in general... landscape keyboard?)
- X terminal?
- App download method based on repositories, like N900?
- Use of the front camera?
- Integration of skype, google talk like N900?
- FM transmitter?

zlatokosi
2011-06-21, 23:16
- X terminal?
As a downloadable app.

- FM transmitter?
Nope

smegheadz
2011-06-21, 23:17
Please, can somebody please bring to me some light about this features in the new N9, thread has grown a lot since yesterday :-p

- Full landscape view? (landscape menu, browser, conversations, apps in general... landscape keyboard?)
- X terminal?
- FM transmitter?

swipe.nokia.com
check out the developer website too. has all the goodness in it.

Bazza
2011-06-21, 23:33
Does the N9 support mms?

some sites say yes and others say no and this thread is too big to search. (or i'm too lazy) :rolleyes:

i did find this (http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/N9-00/) though look under connectivity.

ericsson
2011-06-22, 00:25

I guess lots of worshippers are going to sing their token hallelujah to their God for some time, but other than that not much will be said.

At last the N9 has been announced. It was not as expected, but it is a must-have and nothing else is even remotely tempting (the E6 and N8 isn't all that bad). The iPhone is being eaten alive by Android in any case, a nice gift for grandmas, but has lost all appeal by the younger generation, at least on this side of the pond.

ericsson
2011-06-22, 00:27
Does the N9 support mms?

Yes, it say so on the official Nokia site swipe.nokia.com

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-n9/specifications

Email and messaging
Easy-to-use email client with attachment support for images, videos, music and documents .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx, .odt, .ods, .odp, .pdf
HTML support for email
Email client can combine multiple accounts into one easy-to manage inbox
Easy setup for POP3, IMAP and Mail for Exchange services
Multiple accounts per user supported
Chat instant messaging support: Facebook, Skype, Gtalk, and services using sip
Easy to move between multiple live conversations on open applications view
Unified MMS/SMS editor
Conversational view for SMS
Push email
Messages notifications shown in the event view

abbra
2011-06-22, 05:34
Yes, it does support MMS. It also supports automatic transcoding of videos to MMS-specific size/framerate/bitrate combination that your MMS server reported as preferable. It means that only part of original video would be available (usually up to 30 seconds) but that's how MMS works.

The way how MMS works is simply start creating a message and then attach a video or a picture to it. SMS will automatically convert itself into MMS.

Another way to do it is to Share to MMS -- this is something that any application can add as any application can call into Share UI and provide a content to share. So, you can start from a Gallery, share an image, and select MMS. Or select your own video, share it and select MMS. Both ways -- from creating a message explicitly or selecting a content to share first will work fine.

Dr Tran
2011-06-22, 05:41
The apps view could use some dividers. Would help with organization

abbra
2011-06-22, 05:51

- X terminal?
- FM transmitter?

Browser can work in landscape, as well as Feeds, Mail, Gallery, Media players, Chat, and few other applications where it makes sense to use landscape. This "makes sense" is important -- for example, in Feeds you can read posts in portrait and landscape but browse lists of channels and posts only in portrait because the latter makes little sense in landscape due to less vertical estate available.

Virtual keyboard works in both portrait and landscape modes and inhertis the mode set by an application. It is actually quite usable in both modes and in landscape mode it is preffered to use it with two hands -- you can type quite fast then. If multiple languages are configured in Settings, you can switch layouts for the virtual keyboard by swiping through the keyboard. On several layouts you also will find some keys overloaded with multiple characters (available on a bit longer press) to avoid layout switching and facilitate faster input -- specifically targeted for accented characters in many European languages and to our Cyrillic users with alphabets extended from standard Russian (Belarussian, Ukrainian, for example).

Apps management is done through a similar technology (Debian repositories), though Ovi Store already in N900 was doing bit differently due to their own technical requirements.

Front camera is used by real time communications. All the chat integration is similar to what was in N900. Now there are more integrated points and common accounts management so you can see and configure all your accounts in a centralized way for every single type of external communication -- be it chat or social networking uploads.

I've been told there is no FM transmitter hardware. This may or may not be true as HW specs kept changing but I would not put any stakes on its presence.

JorgeFX
2011-06-22, 05:53
Just some questions:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1035604&postcount=494

I posted in the other thread for error because I was reading the two at the same time (multitask:rolleyes:)

Jaekaelae
2011-06-22, 08:15
I heard that there is terminal allready, phone just must be set in developer mode to get it visible.

zehjotkah
2011-06-22, 09:04
I've collected all the public info as well as videos we have regarding the N950 and wrote an article on meetmeego.org (in German though).
It explains how to get a N950, too.
http://meetmeego.org/2011/06/22/nokia-n950-und-wie-man-eins-bekommt/

sts1976
2011-06-22, 09:32
One interesting observation…

Has anyone noticed that the lock-screen notifications work exactly like they do on the apples new iOS-5….

tonspaa
2011-06-22, 09:46
So is Nokia still making the nits? Or is the development scrapped along with meego?
I had high hopes for the N9 but it certainly didn't deliver. Lack of hwkb (I can live without this, but then the swkb better be good), no FM-transmitter, no irda, no kickstand and no flash. I would have understood if few of them would be gone but all of them? That's an instant deal breaker for me. And what I would think is the biggest downfall, non-replaceable battery. What happens when the phone jams and pressing the powerbutton does nothing? It's a rare thing to happen on my N900, but remembering back to my symbian phones, that was almost a daily routine. I really don't understand it being a question about it looking better, it's like buying a car with square tires just because it looks better.
And having the phone to record 720p without HDMI port is just stupid. You have no way to watch you videos in full resolution. If this was supposed to be targeted at a more wide audience, then people shouldn't have to copy their videos to their comps just to watch some clips. And what happened to usb otg? The year old N8 has it, why not this one?
But I must admit, the phone looks great! And the UI with all the swiping looks very good. But I don't understand the talk about it being the first true touch phone? N900 doesn't have any buttons on the front either. And the phone being all one big touchscreen seems to be untrue, the glass covers the front almost completely but the screen is alot smaller than the glass. All in all I'm thinking the N9 more of a successor to the N8, not for the N900.
The N950 is a step up from the N9, but apparently isn't available to the consumers. (Who the **** came up with that?) And the looks of it are more appealling (atleast for me), nice looking aluminium casing, bigger screen. Imho the N900 is still by far the best nokia phone on the market. And what, it's 2 year old technology?
The N9 would have been great if it would have hit the shelves last year. This I have to say is Nokia's biggest problem. When they start designign a phone, it's top of the line. But they should be designing something that is top of the line after they start selling it, the competition doesn't just sit there rolling their thumbs.

So does anyone has any knowledge about NITs? I don't think that it's about the money, or else there wouldn't have been the internet tablets in the first place. As I see it, they weren't targeted at the general public, but more for the geeks.

LTman
2011-06-22, 09:51
lets hope cordia gets ported quickly

Metsämies
2011-06-22, 11:16
Lack of hwkb (I can live without this, but then the swkb better be good), no FM-transmitter, no irda, no kickstand and no flash.

HW has both Rx/Tx-FM-transmitter, only SW for is needed, I think.

Bazza
2011-06-22, 12:11
Yes, it say so on the official Nokia site swipe.nokia.com

Thanks there are a lot of conflicting reports out there. ;)

Bazza
2011-06-22, 12:24
I've collected all the public info as well as videos we have regarding the N950 and wrote an article on meetmeego.org (in German though).

Those videos on the link are of a Nokia E7.......only joking :D

Seriously though if they are only manufacturing a limited number of N950's for developers only, why make a slick promo video if it is directed at a small section of the worldwide community?

Have they released any figures of how many developer edition units they are manufacturing?

zehjotkah
2011-06-22, 12:32
Those videos on the link are of a Nokia E7.......only joking :D

Seriously though if they are only manufacturing a limited number of N950's for developers only, why make a slick promo video if it is directed at a small section of the worldwide community?

Have they released any figures of how many developer edition units they are manufacturing?

the intended to give away N950 at the MeeGo Conference and for that they needed a teaser video.
I was quite surprised to see a 8 MPix one, though. it simply doesn't make sense after all..
they have a lot, i don't know the exact number and before telling something wrong, i prefer to say nothing. eldar murtazin 92k numer is wrong btw.

goddamn i hat the palm pre 2 keyboard...

sr00t
2011-06-22, 12:37
the intended to give away N950 at the MeeGo Conference and for that they needed a teaser video.
I was quite surprised to see a 12 mpix camera on the device in the video, though. it simply doesn't make sense after all..
they have a lot, i don't know the exact number and before telling something wrong, i prefer to say nothing. eldar murtazin 92k numer is wrong btw.

goddamn i hat the palm pre 2 keyboard...

I have a slight feeling that Nokia after some months will free N950 to no-dev people too, I hope I'm right in this one.

WilliePre
2011-06-22, 12:46
We want Nokia to keep MeeGo
Please sign @baptx Twitition if you agree. http://twitition.com/3c3ah:)

cddiede
2011-06-22, 12:53
About Adobe Flash support: Flash sucks. For video, is not that important, IMVHO, because your phone is a convenience pocket computer, not your main computer.

Maybe YOUR phone is just a convenience but I've got an N900, a phone that let me sell my laptop and allowed my desktops to gather dust.

Verythrax
2011-06-22, 12:55
I have a slight feeling that Nokia after some months will free N950 to no-dev people too, I hope I'm right in this one.

I hope so, in a unadvertised website, like Google had done with the Android dev phones.

pelago
2011-06-22, 14:21
This "makes sense" is important -- for example, in Feeds you can read posts in portrait and landscape but browse lists of channels and posts only in portrait because the latter makes little sense in landscape due to less vertical estate available.
Although I'm sure that portrait makes more sense for some things, in your feed reader example, it would be useful if I could stay in landscape for both reading the post and for looking at the lists of posts.

catbus
2011-06-22, 14:26
i don't know the exact number and before telling something wrong, i prefer to say nothing. eldar murtazin 92k numer is wrong btw.

and "say nothing" > eldar's number?

zehjotkah
2011-06-22, 14:32
and "say nothing" > eldar's number?

yes, because "I say nothing" is always right. "some random number I saw in my lucid dream" is in more than 99% of the cases wrong.

I prefer the truth above a random number (just to have a number to talk about..)
edit: you can be sure that when I get the definite number, here will be one of the first places I'll talk about)

smegheadz
2011-06-22, 15:30
what is the main point of the n950 being dev only? what can it do for dev's that the n9 can't?
i'm not a dev but i know you have the emulator on the QT creator, can you only compile and run on the n950?

catbus
2011-06-22, 15:33
what is the main point of the n950 being dev only? what can it do for dev's that the n9 can't?

The new "strategy", you know ...

Frappacino
2011-06-22, 15:33
i'm not a dev but i know you have the emulator on the QT creator, can you only compile and run on the n950?

Nothing - I think its more a matter of timing.

They have a bunch of n950s now sitting in a warehouse doing nothing - since they cant sell it (for whatever reason), so they might as well get SOME use out of it - i.e. give to devs so they can make progs on it

I am sure once n9s become widespread available and the n950s run out, they will give away n9s for devs too.

stlpaul
2011-06-22, 15:35
Maybe YOUR phone is just a convenience but I've got an N900, a phone that let me sell my laptop and allowed my desktops to gather dust.

So true, I don't bother to haul my laptop with me on trips anymore, and at home I usually do things like email/web from my N900 while I'm on the couch watching TV, instead of going to my desktop instead. :)

vi_
2011-06-22, 15:38
yes, because "I say nothing" is always right. "some random number I saw in my lucid dream" is in more than 99% of the cases wrong.

I prefer the truth above a random number (just to have a number to talk about..)
edit: you can be sure that when I get the definite number, here will be one of the first places I'll talk about)

Whoa, serious fallacy detected.

A clock that is 1 min slow is WRONG and correct 0% of the time. A clock that has stopped is correct for 1 second per day and is correct 0.001157407% of the time. Therefore a stopped watch is more accurate than a slow one.

:D

jalyst
2011-06-22, 16:15
Is this the primary thread now?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74181&page=45

This one seems to have slowed...
Perhaps we should close & sticky it, instead of having the "hive-mind" split in two :)
Mods?!

jalyst
2011-06-22, 16:24

Doh, gtranslate sux....
I don't suppose you could share details of how to get a n950 in this thread, in English?
Unless it's basically what you've already said previously: community dev or commercial access programs.
Neither help us non-devs, or folks who don't work for dev. related companies... :(

lets hope cordia gets ported quickly

Why write-off the current UI for N9 so quickly? It's not even in the public's hands yet.
But like you I do hope there's a cordia porting effort that kicks-off, nice to have options!
Then again, sometimes it's best not to split resources up too much...
I imagine it'd be simpler/quicker to port cordia to harmatten-based N9, than to meego-core.

zfarooq
2011-06-22, 16:24
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/22/editorial-dear-nokia-you-cannot-be-serious/

Wow...theyr questionin Nokia jump to WP

jalyst
2011-06-22, 16:29
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/22/editorial-dear-nokia-you-cannot-be-serious/

Wow...theyr questionin Nokia jump to WP

Oh sweet!!! I hope what I sent Vlad influenced them... :)
He seems to have been covering most n9 related stories lately, so I sent him/TimS this approx. 24hrs ago:

Vlad,

Thought you guys might be interested...
http://felipec.wordpress.com/2011/06/21/my-disagreement-with-elop-on-meego/
If true, either very brave or very stupid employee :-D

Dunno if you guys been following this thread much, but it's absolutely on fire, or at least it was.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72977
****-load of noise/bs, but occasionally some real nuggets

Then again 500 other users prolly emailed them the same thing :)

1337INT13H
2011-06-22, 19:55
whoaaa check this out?!!?

too unfortunate that it's for the DEV's only!

http://thenokiablog.com/2011/06/22/nokia-n950-hands-on/

1337INT13H
2011-06-22, 20:19
I hear that the N9 BT is operating at 2.1 specifications or is it BT 4.0 out of the box, anybody know? TI OMAP Cortex A8 ARM 3630. No flash; no big deal for there is HTML5 instead. Well theres no overprocessing, on a 40nm fabrication with a 14** mAH = Excellent Battery life. BT4.0 should save more power & so should Super Active Matrix OLED, beaautiful with polarising filter clear Black filter. Very nice, yes, yes.

I would like to know how do we get 1280x720P content over to the tv. Can not send anything higher than 848x480 through composite AV output can you?? If the USB is just standard MicroUSB 2.0 & it's not MHL then how do you get HD over to the tv???

tonspaa
2011-06-22, 20:57
I hear that the N9 BT is operating at 2.1 specifications or is it BT 4.0 out of the box, anybody know? TI OMAP Cortex A8 ARM 3630. No flash; no big deal for there is HTML5 instead. Well theres no overprocessing, on a 40nm fabrication with a 14** mAH = Excellent Battery life. BT4.0 should save more power & so should Super Active Matrix OLED, beaautiful with polarising filter clear Black filter. Very nice, yes, yes.

It doesn't have super amoled, just amoled

I would like to know how do we get 1280x720P content over to the tv. Can not send anything higher than 848x480 through composite AV output can you?? If the USB is just standard MicroUSB 2.0 & it's not MHL then how do you get HD over to the tv???
You don't

maxximuscool
2011-06-22, 21:00
I would love to know if someone out there will make a hacker edition OS for the N900? Would have been great to see if N900 is capable of running this insanely smooth OS on the N9/N950

1337INT13H
2011-06-22, 21:13
That's funny. The Nokia Marketing Guy in one Singapore vid mentioned Super Active-matrix OLED, weird. Probably just the AMOLED with the clearblack polarising filter. For the 720P very nice. I'm amazed at how large & wide the aperture is for the lens. F/2.2. WOW, is that the largest aperture EVER put into a phone thus far?? The camera is lightening fast.

tissot
2011-06-22, 21:15
N9 and it's daddy
http://www.openmobility.cz/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/IMG_58091.jpg

N9 and N950
http://www.openmobility.cz/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/IMG_58721.jpg

Found from (http://www.openmobility.cz/reportaze/predstaveni-nokia-n9-s-meego/)
And original link (http://www.openmobility.cz/reportaze/predstaveni-nokia-n9-s-meego/)

quipper8
2011-06-22, 21:19
N9 and it's daddy

N9 and N950

And original link (http://www.openmobility.cz/reportaze/predstaveni-nokia-n9-s-meego/)

looks like that n900 has the extended battery

maxximuscool
2011-06-22, 21:21
looks like that n900 has the extended battery

Yes it is extended battery. My N900 isn't that fat as the one in the picture.

1337INT13H
2011-06-22, 21:50
That 1GHz processor RISCing it's little heart away.

1337INT13H
2011-06-22, 21:52
N9 and it's daddy

N9 and N950

Just to show how decent the N900's camera STILL is :)

Bazza
2011-06-22, 22:02
N9 and it's daddy

N9 and N950

Errrrrrrm...................................this is a tricky one...........errrrrrm........okay i will take the 1 on the left. please

1337INT13H
2011-06-22, 22:04
If the N9 is still in prototype stage. Could some things still change regarding hard/soft??

Also i wonder if 16GB, 64GB versions will be identical in hard/soft.

Is it even far too late to see HDMI if it was supported. Beyond the production stages! I've known proto changes before but prob not this late. wt?!!? I know totally NOT

FM transmitter I've never found a use for with my N900. But i do use Qtirreco ir to comman my sat box

suy
2011-06-22, 23:19
HW has both Rx/Tx-FM-transmitter, only SW for is needed, I think.

Any source about this? I thought the same, but on the premise that the N9 has the wl1271 chip, which is not confirmed (only mentioned on a leaked list of packages).

1337INT13H
2011-06-23, 00:16
One Reason: http://www.engadget.com/photos/nokia...shots/#4243180

http://allforlinux.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/mac_pc_linux.jpg

Click this bar to view the full image.

MYMicrosoft gives you Windows... Linux gives you the whole house.

Type cat vmlinuz > /dev/audio to hear the Voice of God..

More coming soon

1337INT13H
2011-06-23, 00:24
Windows user's prayer

Our Windows, who is on harddrives
Wide open your ports
You viruses come,
On 95 as it is on XP

Give us this day our daily ServicePacks
and forgive our Linux partitions
as we forgive those flaws from your drivers
and lead us not into the blue screen
but deliver us from software conflicts.

Yours is the whole RAM and harddrive
and all processor's Hertzs
forever and ever CTRL+ALT+DELETE!

jalyst
2011-06-23, 06:50
You don't

rubbish, I've seen nothing to suggest the the av-out can't do 720p.
Just because it's not using hdmi-out is irrelevant....

*edit*
is there a way to be emailed when someone quotes you in this forum?
can't see it.....

buchanmilne
2011-06-23, 07:23
I would love to know if someone out there will make a hacker edition OS for the N900?

There's a separate thread for that, in *this* section of the forum, with some recent posts.

jalyst
2011-06-23, 07:34
Mods can we close this thread now please?
It's silly to have 2 monolithic threads, that focus on the general discussion of the N9.
Fine to have numerous threads about the n9, with a specific focus.
But 2x 'general discussion threads for the n9 is inefficient.

Dave999
2011-06-23, 07:36
This thread is now closed!

jalyst
2011-06-23, 07:39
V.funny ;)
I've formally requested it directly to mods now.

maniu
2011-06-23, 08:13
About AV jack... it should be possible to use component cable to transfer HD material but it would be complicated cable. i am 99% sure it wont end in standard hdmi. Maybe trough USB, but that is a different story.

pelago
2011-06-23, 10:05
rubbish, I've seen nothing to suggest the the av-out can't do 720p.
Just because it's not using hdmi-out is irrelevant....

If it's a composite signal, like the 3.5mm AV jack on the N900 and other devices, the best it will do it 480i (NTSC) or 576i (PAL).

Jedibeeftrix
2011-06-23, 10:42
so, some swedish carrier is saying September.

but zap and koa were talking about nokia wanting a much shorter time between launch and availability; "weeks not months".

the phone itself seems smooth, unlike the buggy mess that was the N8.

when can we expect to have one of these in our hands?

zehjotkah
2011-06-23, 11:11
so, some swedish carrier is saying September.

but zap and koa were talking about nokia wanting a much shorter time between launch and availability; "weeks not months".

the phone itself seems smooth, unlike the buggy mess that was the N8.

when can we expect to have one of these in our hands?

why are we called "zap and koa"? xD

I was told that it will be released in Germany in September as well...
If you're a dev and get approval you can expect to hold a N950 in your hands next week.

suy
2011-06-23, 11:14
Any source about this? I thought the same, but on the premise that the N9 has the wl1271 chip, which is not confirmed (only mentioned on a leaked list of packages).

OK, confirmed my guess:

http://thehandheldblog.com/2011/06/23/nokia-n9-fm-transmitter-receiver/

Jedibeeftrix
2011-06-23, 11:19
why are we called "zap and koa"? xD

If you're a dev and get approval you can expect to hold a N950 in your hands next week.

sorry, i never can remember the spellings of your names. :)

cheers for the info.

i suppose sept will still be better than the n900 debacle; i didn't get an n900 in my hands until the start of december, and i preordered as soon as it was possible to do so in the UK.

cheers for the info.

govprog
2011-06-23, 11:28
Just adding to the news here:
http://www.appscout.com/2011/06/nokia_n9_will_run_android_apps.php

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nokia-N9-to-Arrive-in-Sweden-on-September-23rd-207712.shtml

jalyst
2011-06-23, 15:50
Is there an option to be emailed when someone quotes you in this forum?
I can't see it in the CP...

If it's a composite signal, like the 3.5mm AV jack on the N900 and other devices, the best it will do it 480i (NTSC) or 576i (PAL).

I'd be amazed if it's composite signal...
Why give it no ability to do 720p out, when it can capture in 720p?
Utterly dumb if you ask me....

Or it is AV-out via 3.5mm but they've implemented MHL for 720p out?
If there's no support at all for 720p out, that's soooo dumb.

If it's that bloody long away...
It better be a decent freakin price, & it better be a simultaneous worldwide release.
Not some strung-out thing, over the course of 9mths+, to every part of the world.
In Australia the n900 wasn't available officially for something like 6mth+ after the US/UK!

Thread closing soon or what? :confused:

pelago
2011-06-24, 11:21
Is there an option to be emailed when someone quotes you in this forum?
I can't see it in the CP...
Not that I know of. I agree it would be a nice feature.

jalyst
2011-06-24, 19:13
^ it is an option in some vbulletin forums, oh well.
Thread close mods?

m4r0v3r
2011-06-24, 19:54
its unbelievable how many people think Nokia own Meego and that this is the last Meego device, this ****ing Harmatten...

jalyst
2011-06-24, 20:23
^ Main thread's here (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74181) now

I personally think the title should be.
N9: it's finally officially announced! (no official price/availability)

larux
2011-06-24, 20:24
I created new thread "Microsoft your platform is on fire" wrapped around great blog entry by Tomi Ahonen. It's really interesting read for all of us.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1038342#post1038342

superhero
2011-06-24, 20:34
Ok so! im sold on the N9!

Watch this(Sorry if it was already posted!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0dxk1t88LM&feature=related

and:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTJqgslKogs&feature=related

And:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbT7-P-i6UY&feature=related